Noctua NH-D14 Packaging win!

I wanted to post a review of the nh-d14 i bought from amazon warehouse deals but I've been kinda messing around with it and my i5-3570k. The Cooler itself is awesome and during winter time when it was freezing i got about 60 degrees C on prime95 at 4.8 GHz! Its really quite but the other fans in my case and my power supply make it hard to know if its even there. The main reason i came here to post this is because on Linus's review he said the packaging was truly great and amazon warehouse deals put it to the test. I bought it there along with my i5 because i was short on money and didn't want to wait and it saved me about $30 USD. In the warehouse deals they sell produces that have fallen or and such that the packaging is not to amazon's standards for regular retail. The NH-D14 is pretty huge and heavy weighing in at 900g. It must have fallen pretty hard on the corner of the box but everything inside was just fine and is working way better than expected. Sorry for the picture quality but it was taken from a 4g iPod touch.

post-63059-0-63318800-1397244710.jpg

post-63059-0-69326600-1397244717.jpg

The cooler wouldn't have even felt that drop most likely due to it being enclosed in another box inside that box. It's boxception

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Yup. The small box closest to the impact had a nice big indent in it but all other boxes were not even scratched.

Similar thing when i bought my Dark Rock Pro 2. It was half price because part of the box was ripped. It wasn't structural or anything it was just the ink layer had been damaged. There where also some screws missing which Be Quiet replaced free of charge.

Simple Stryker (Now Finished  ;) )

The Terrible HP

I love the nh-d14, better than any of that closed loop crap. Dead silent, great temps.

I love the nh-d14, better than any of that closed loop crap. Dead silent, great temps.

I wouldn't go as far as saying that. I just recently got an H220 from having an NHD14 and it does a better job at cooling my CPU than the NHD14, On average I'm getting about 6 degrees cooler on all cores. Did I need it? No, I was completely satisfied with my NHD14, but I wanted to get my foot into the door to watercooling. 

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

It's a great cooler, but it's also a lot harder to fit in many cases/get to clear non-low profile ram than an AIO cooler.

Desktop: AMD Threadripper 1950X @ 4.1Ghz Enermax 360L  Gigabyte Aorus Extreme   Zotac 1080Ti AMP Extreme  BeQuiet! Dark Base Pro 900  EVGA SuperNova 1000w G2  LG 34GK950f & ASUS PA248Q Klipsch Reference/Audeze Mobius

Synology Wireless AC-2600

Laptop: Alienware 17R5   Intel i7 8750H  Nvidia GTX1080   3840x2160 4k AdobeRGB IGZO Display   32GB DDR4 2133   256GB+1TB NVMe SSD    1TB Seagate SSHD   Killer 1550 Dual-Band Wireless AC

Dont trust any of the AIO at the moment. Will be sticking with my D14 for years to come until manufactures stop making low profile ram.. then ill be forced to grab the d15

i5 3570K | Gigabyte Z77-UD5H | Noctua NH-D14 | GTX 670 | 8GB DDR1600mhz G| 2x Kingston HyperX 120B SSD | WD Blue 1TB | EVGA 650w 80+ Gold | InWin GrOne | BitFenix Recon Fan Controller |

Dont trust any of the AIO at the moment. Will be sticking with my D14 for years to come until manufactures stop making low profile ram.. then ill be forced to grab the d15

What don't you trust about them?

Desktop: AMD Threadripper 1950X @ 4.1Ghz Enermax 360L  Gigabyte Aorus Extreme   Zotac 1080Ti AMP Extreme  BeQuiet! Dark Base Pro 900  EVGA SuperNova 1000w G2  LG 34GK950f & ASUS PA248Q Klipsch Reference/Audeze Mobius

Synology Wireless AC-2600

Laptop: Alienware 17R5   Intel i7 8750H  Nvidia GTX1080   3840x2160 4k AdobeRGB IGZO Display   32GB DDR4 2133   256GB+1TB NVMe SSD    1TB Seagate SSHD   Killer 1550 Dual-Band Wireless AC

What don't you trust about them?

They leak, pumps fail etc. All this for a couple of degrees cooler temps and loads more noise and $$$

They leak, pumps fail etc. All this for a couple of degrees cooler temps and loads more noise and $$$

aio is barely more expensive, but a custom loop is super expensive

couple of degrees? liquid cooling > air cooling (it's physics)

Australia:

Noctua NH - D14 $85

Corsair H100i $149

Physics: water moves heat better yes, but the heat needs to be transferred to air somewhere and the tiny thin rads don't have much more cooling surface than an air cooler.

They perform marginally better and are a lot louder. I can tell you that from personal experience.

For CPU cooling, its only a couple degrees 2-5 at most so not worth the risk in case it ever leaks.

However when water cooling a GPU, this can be more noticeable, 80 to 40 however my Arctic Twin Turbo II for my 670 is amazing peaking at 54 while maintaining silent operation.

Will stick to Arctic cooling for all my gpu cooling needs. 

AIO do look sleeker however the massive D14 does look nice with corsair SP120 fans 

i5 3570K | Gigabyte Z77-UD5H | Noctua NH-D14 | GTX 670 | 8GB DDR1600mhz G| 2x Kingston HyperX 120B SSD | WD Blue 1TB | EVGA 650w 80+ Gold | InWin GrOne | BitFenix Recon Fan Controller |

I would of gotten a h100i or similar if it wasn't for my case not supporting dual 120 rad config. That's why i got the NH-D14. I'm not afraid to water cool and i plan on doing so on next build hopefully. I saw the NH-D14 performing very close to the h100 and it was cheaper and quieter so i went for it! My case does have two 120 fan mounts on the side though near the graphics card but i didn't want to risk it not fitting and i knew the NH-D14 had just enough clearance for it to fit.