Turning an xbox or play station into a PC?

Shd0w2

Actually you can probably fit a modern mITX system in there (specially the first fat versions released) and maybe even a 750ti with a pci-e raiser cable. I'd be a nice project

I considered doing that in the shell of a broken X360, I just don't have the money to blow away. I've seen it done before, though.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

How will it boot..?? Does it have a BIOS...?? i dont think so...

do you even know what a BISO is?

it means Basic Input/Output System

meaning its a map of all the components of the system. every electronic thing have a bios. 

some can be accessed by the user and can be manipulated and some can not. that does not mean it does not have one.

meaning its a map of all the components of the system. every electronic thing have a bios. 

some can be accessed by the user and can be manipulated and some can not. that does not mean it does not have one.

first of all its BIOS and i know what a bios is...it will check and initialize the components of the ps3 or xbox...but will it be capable of loading the bootmgr...that is the question...

What is the point? Outside of running applications that are explicitly coded for the specific hardware, every normal use program will be SLOW (whether you are talking about the last gen or current gen systems) compared to a similar priced modern PC. Internet browsing on a PS4 with Windows installed (if it was possible) would be slower than a $400 PC I'm sure! Gaming on a PS4 running Windows (or even linux) wouldn't be as fast as a PS4 running PS4 OS.

What is the point? Outside of running applications that are explicitly coded for the specific hardware, every normal use program will be SLOW (whether you are talking about the last gen or current gen systems) compared to a similar priced modern PC. Internet browsing on a PS4 with Windows installed (if it was possible) would be slower than a $400 PC I'm sure! Gaming on a PS4 running Windows (or even linux) wouldn't be as fast as a PS4 running PS4 OS.

True...it will not even have instruction set extensions which are required to execute some simple calculation or programs... :)

I talked about this in luke's live stream, You take a mini ITX case and fill it up with parts then mold the ps3 model onto it.

(NOW)War Horse:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 | Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Dual Channel 8GB 1600Mhz | GPU: MSI R7790 | Case: Dazumba D-Vito 903 | HDD 1 & 2: Seagate 1TB and Seagate 500GB | PSU: Corsair CX600
(WAS)Old Coop:
CPU: Intel C2D E7500 | Motherboard: Gigabyte G31M-ES2L | RAM: V-Gen 4GB Dual Channel | GPU: Galaxy GT210 | Case: Power-Up ??? | HDD: Seagate 500GB | PSU: Power-up 500W

MyAnimeList Profile | Heaven Society | HEIL THE MIGHTY AND POWERFUL LINUS | My Blog 'Unfinished Pieces' | Code of Conduct

before the 3.55 update or whichever one removed life with playstation, one was able to use folding@home on there system. it working which was brilliant but Sony then turned against it.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

first of all its BIOS and i know what a bios is...it will check and initialize the components of the ps3 or xbox...but will it be capable of loading the bootmgr...that is the question...

thats only one problem if someone wants to do this thing

There's a video of a Xbox 360 running linux on youtube.

Linux "nerd".  If I helped you please like my post and maybe add me as a friend :)  ^_^!

A biso is a basic input system output according to you

Hey.

I've had linux running on an original Xbox, PS2 and PS3. 

they all run like garbage though. But yeah, it's very possible, less so for the ps3 though, good luck finding an unpatched firmware.

Tired of hearing people say you can't install OS X on AMD hardware. Educate yourself.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/138853-just-got-myself-into-a-fully-working-hackintosh-amd-no-less/

thats only one problem if someone wants to do this thing

ya u got it that is what i m talking about... :)

If it was a PC, I wonder how fast it wouldn't even be that fast.... Doesn't the software on the consoles take advantage of that one architecture? Making them a PC would make them significantly weaker (if that was possible)

Well you might see some hit in performance but it will still perform as well as a high-end APU since they both use the same jaguar architecture APU.

My Rig "Corsair air 540, MSI Z87-G45, i5 4670k, EVGA ACX 780, Gskill sniper 2x8gb 1866 memory, Corsair CX500m modular 80+ bronze, corsiar h100i, toshiba 1.5tb HDD." / Peripherals "Acer H226HQLbid Black 21.5" (Main monitor), Acer S200HLAbd Black 20" (auxiliary), Razer blackwidow ultimate 2013, razer naga 2013, razer goliathus 444x355 speed edition, Sennheiser HD8 DJs"

I've heard of people running linux, though windows is defiantly out of the question

i7 2600 | HD 6870 | 8GB Memory | 120GB Samsung 840 EVO | 500W PSU | Fractal Define R4

I have a lot of upgrade plans, and no money  :)

I remember seeing someone put a linux distro on a PS3. But remember, you would not get the full desktop/ power experience as the PS3 and Xbox 360 do not use x86/64 processors. A great article here delves into the Technical aspects of both platforms - http://uk.ign.com/articles/2005/05/20/e3-2005-microsofts-xbox-360-vs-sonys-playstation-3

Social Links: LTT Forum    Website    Instagram    Twitter    YouTube    LinkedIn    Steam 

The Build

CPU Intel i7 4770k 4.4ghz Motherboard Asus Sabertooth Z87 RAM 34gb (4 x 8gb) Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz GPU Evga GTX780 Classified Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic Storage Samsung 840 256gb SSD PSU Corsair HX750 Display Achieva Shimian QH300-IPSMS 1600p Cooling Corsair H100i Keyboard Corsair K90 Mouse Corsair M65 Sound 3.1 Surround Sound Fans 2x Corsair SP120 PWM, 3x Corsair AF140 Q.E, and 1x Corsair AF120 Q.E.

I'm thinking of building a mini-itx PC in an Xbone case, then putting the Xbone parts into a custom, more sleek/ airflow optimized case. The only problem is that I'd rather not spend $500 on a console when I could spend that on a GTX 780 or something like that for my current PC.

Oh money, why are you so fleeting?

I'm that guy with the GPD Win.

I'm thinking of building a mini-itx PC in an Xbone case, then putting the Xbone parts into a custom, more sleek/ airflow optimized case. The only problem is that I'd rather not spend $500 on a console when I could spend that on a GTX 780 or something like that for my current PC.

Oh money, why are you so fleeting?

Well you could modify insides of the case of the xbox one drill some atx holes but i dont think the cooler will fit, stock nor hyper

(NOW)War Horse:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 | Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Dual Channel 8GB 1600Mhz | GPU: MSI R7790 | Case: Dazumba D-Vito 903 | HDD 1 & 2: Seagate 1TB and Seagate 500GB | PSU: Corsair CX600
(WAS)Old Coop:
CPU: Intel C2D E7500 | Motherboard: Gigabyte G31M-ES2L | RAM: V-Gen 4GB Dual Channel | GPU: Galaxy GT210 | Case: Power-Up ??? | HDD: Seagate 500GB | PSU: Power-up 500W

MyAnimeList Profile | Heaven Society | HEIL THE MIGHTY AND POWERFUL LINUS | My Blog 'Unfinished Pieces' | Code of Conduct

Well you could modify insides of the case of the xbox one drill some atx holes but i dont think the cooler will fit, stock nor hyper

Noctua has an a very low profile cooler (NH L9i for intel and NH L9a for amd)

looking at their specs transforming them to a pc is a bad idea

CPU: Intel core i7-4770 --- CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 --- GPU: Asus Geforce GTX 970 Strix --- MB: Asus Maximus VI Hero --- RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB

Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D --- PSU: Corsair AX860i --- SSD: Seagate 120GB --- HDD: Seagate 2TB + Toshiba 1TB --- ODD: Asus External DVD-R

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2013 Ultimate --- Mouse: Logitech G602 --- Mousepad: Corsair Vengeance MM600 --- Monitor: LG 29UM65