How to Fix GPU Sag (Semi Ghetto)

my solution is fishing line tied between the graphics card and a Neodymium magnet. tie off the string a bit too short and slap the magnet on top of the case. the string being a bit short tensions it, the magnet is there because I couldn't tie it under tension. works like a charm and my 660 TI PE is perfectly horizontal. I love that card. OC's to 1188 core out of the box.

this is what it looks like

jatBsvs.jpg

DONT SHOW US!  *MY EYES ARE BLEEDING*

Well, actually... I dont see much saggggggg

When I put an Arctic Twin turbo II on my old reference EVGA GTX 670, it began to sag a lot under the weight of the much larger (also cooler and quieter) cooler. I found some Legos and placed them in between my psu and gpu where there was a gap between the two fans. It worked much better than I had thought it would and is still running without sagging in my secondary pc today!

Thats some pro thinking right there.  

back then on my fat dcu 2 580 it was sagging so I used those brown cylinder thingy that came with tissue and it solved my problem. no window on chassis.

Live your life like a dream.

Hi. I'm was doing a build and found a way to easily fix GPU sag on most graphics cards. I think that Linus showed this method, but here it is in a tutorial. 

Tutorial:

It's really easily. If your GPU is sagging like this:

erraaat.jpg

Then all you need to do is get something at the back of the card to give it leverage and lift the front up. Why something like this is not done by the case manufacturers beats me. Anyway, use something like: paper, watercooling tubing (I used this), plastic, metal though I don't know what, strong foam, sponge or most other things that are preferably squishy, easily cut, and will stay where you want it. You want something squishy because you can squish it down to fit into the space, then it will expand and put pressure on both both objects.

What you do is cut it, lift up the card in the front, and shove it into the space between the expansion slot on the case and DVI port on the card like this:

h8I4LEp.jpg

Now you got this:

TZ9BSsQ.jpg

I hope this helps someone. I googled and searched here and could not find another guide on this, but I know there has to be one.

We have surpassed Semi-Ghetto. What a time to be alive!

But in seriousness, I'll probably try it out when I get home :P

I'm sorry, my eyes must not be that good, but I can't work out where you put the foam in the second picture, could you highlight it for me?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

Or take a long twist tie, put it somewhere in the back of the card, and then put the other end somewhere that it will help hold the card up (I did that....).

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I'm sorry, my eyes must not be that good, but I can't work out where you put the foam in the second picture, could you highlight it for me?

It's black right above the top DVI connector. I'm on my phone right now, but if you still can't see it I'll highlight it when I can.

One of those foam noise blocking earpieces works well. The ones you squish and they conform to your ear. (the ones used on job sites or other places)

Does not having a second parenthesis around something bother anyone else as much as it does me? (Like if this statement was missing a second side)

One of those foam noise blocking earpieces works well. The ones you squish and they conform to your ear. (the ones used on job sites or other places)

Yeah, that's definitely one of the best things to use. Maybe an earplug too since it basically the same material.

Hi. I'm was doing a build and found a way to easily fix GPU sag on most graphics cards. I think that Linus showed this method, but here it is in a tutorial. 

Tutorial:

It's really easily. If your GPU is sagging like this:

sn

Then all you need to do is get something at the back of the card to give it leverage and lift the front up. Why something like this is not done by the case manufacturers beats me. Anyway, use something like: paper, watercooling tubing (I used this), plastic, metal though I don't know what, strong foam, sponge or most other things that are preferably squishy, easily cut, and will stay where you want it. You want something squishy because you can squish it down to fit into the space, then it will expand and put pressure on both both objects.

What you do is cut it, lift up the card in the front, and shove it into the space between the expansion slot on the case and DVI port on the card like this:

sn

Now you got this:

sn

I hope this helps someone. I googled and searched here and could not find another guide on this, but I know there has to be one.

Suprisingly my two cards don't sag, idk how O.o

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

I have experienced that problem before with my laptop. What it sounded like to me was some electrical feed back. That could be coming from any cables that are running by, because when power travels down a wire it creates a small magnetic field that could be causing some of that data that is traveling down the audio cable to change.It could also be the headphones, there could be a defect in the drivers or another part of the headphones.Try plugging the headphones into the back of the sound card to see if you are still having the same problem. If so try another pair of headphones. If the sound is still there it maybe the sound card itself.

Hi Lays.

My card is a lot better with the new block, but it was really bad.

• 2 weeks later...

How to fix GPU sag:

1.No GPU

or better, just get a horizontal case

Anything I write is just a comment, take is as such, there is no guarantees associated with anything I say.

ATX Portable rig (smaller than prodigy(LOL)) :  Nmedia 2800 | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h  | Corsair HX1000 | Scythe Big Shuriken | i5 3570K  |  XFX R9 290 DoubleD | Corsair Vengeance 32GB

Isn't there a Zalman or NZXT case that has a slideable bracket thingy to hold up the card? They should sell them on their own and let people mod them into cases.

Anyway @TheNinjaNextDor your solution is ingenious, it's helped a lot of people with longer GPUs.

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

• 2 months later...

This is my ghetto fix for bracing my 290x... A pencil cut to length, wrapped in gaff tape. I padded the bottom of the pencil with a little extra tape (with the sticky side out), and the eraser side is under the card encasement.

heU3rse.jpg

Hey, you can always go the ghetto route.  My case doen't have a glass side panel, so its not like anyone would know :P

i8LikQi.jpg

dude that's legit.

@TheNinjaNextDor, if you are reading this, GET THE FUCK BACK OVER HERE. The forum misses you and is worried if you are dead or something else. Why do you hate us so much?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

• 2 months later...

use intel graphics 4000 plays crsys 3 4k surround max settings 

my 2 670's dont sag

then there is zalmans weird and wonderful bracket which works surprisingly well, its meant to lift up a gpu but i just shoved a 120mm onto it.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

• 4 weeks later...

wow, well I used lego today after reading the thread to hold the other side of my gpu up.

without support the low end is about 5 mm below the high end with a backplate, the Asus Direct CU II cooler is heavy

pics of without lego, no support and with lego here: http:/imgur.com/a/Fu6Lb

This is my ghetto fix for bracing my 290x... A pencil cut to length, wrapped in gaff tape. I padded the bottom of the pencil with a little extra tape (with the sticky side out), and the eraser side is under the card encasement.

That's a good idea. I'll go that route once I get a GPU.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

I need to take note of some of these for my Lightnings

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate