Bose "Companion 5" PC Speaker System

LinusTech

I have these speakers. I'll never trade them for anything.

CPU: 3570K @ 4.3Ghz MOBO: ASUS P8z77-v Deluxe RAM: 2-4GB Gskill GPU: EVGA 670 FTW SSD: Vertex 4 256 Case: CM HAF 932

Nicely done Linus. 

Any comments on the the performance on using the unit as a DAC? You briefly touched on it but didn't go any further. 

Thanks~

Intel i7-4770K @4.5GHz | Corsair H80i | Asus Z87-Deluxe | Crucial Ballistix 16GB

EVGA GTX 770 SC w/ ACX Cooler | Fractal Design Define XL R2 | Dell U2713HM

Linus could you do a sound tes in the next one and ive never heard of the Buy Other Sound Equiptment :D

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

Linus, why do you only review speakers which cost 400 dollars? I would personally probably never spend more than 100 dollars on something for like this. I would love to see a comparison between budget headphones or speakers.

I actually like speaker reviews. I have this terrible set right now, the only reason I haven't replaced them is because I don't know what would be the best bang for my buck. 

| CPU: AMD A8 | MOBO: MSI 7778 | GPU: Asus GTX 650Ti | Case: Corsair 200r |

| SSD: PNY 120gb | HHD: WD Blue 1tb | PSU: Cooler Master 750W |

| peripherals: Corsair Vengeance M65 & Razer Black Widow Ultimate |

Just a question about your mention of the sound dial controlling the PC's audio. I'm a bit confused as to why that's an issue really. I mean I suppose for headsets that means you need to turn your PC down before you put them on but other than that I can't really see why. I run my PC audio through a DJ controller/analog mixer, and I have both my headphones (I have no use for a headset as I use a standalone mic alongside my studio headphones) and my speakers running off of that. The only time I like seeing products that control the PC audio itself rather than its own is when they have no other way to adjust the volume. I assume most products that have their own volume control separate from the any interaction with the PC have some sort of amplifier in there, and perhaps I may be wrong but would that not be better in the end?

People can hate on Bose all they would like but they make decent audio gear. I got these speakers back in 2007 for half off at a Bose outlet store (they were returned after christmas hence the great discount) and they are great. Do my DT990 Pros + Schiit Vali Modi combo sound better? Absolutely, but its not really fair compare the two. I use my DTs if I want to hear REALLY listen to something and get great audio performance or feel like using headphones, but for everything else I use my speakers and they are useful, and versatile. Hell when I go to bed I have a 10 year old set of Bose on ear headphones that stay on my bedpost wired up so I can fall asleep with them (as to not put useless hours plus wire fatigue on my DTs). They too are not what I would consider amazing quality sound but are comfortable to fall asleep wearing and thats what I want them for. It's really purpose that makes audio gear the most important, as I love my Bose speakers for browsing and youtube, twitch, music (for me and friends), and when I just don't feel like wearing headphones. Just the same as when I want to hear everything I use my higher quality gear. That being said, to me the Bose gear looks far better in appearance than most other speakers on the market. It may seem like a stupid quip to some but looks matter to me and I'd rather the look of my bose speakers to most any other square speakers with circular patterns. As for the sound quality they are overpriced for what you get (retail) but on sale they are not iPod headphones in comparison to other speakers just not amazing. I'd recommend them to anyone really. 
Thats just my .02 though.

This video review was actually a pretty good one. You described the strong points very well imo about their loudness, being suitable for movies and entertainment, gave alternatives and described why you chose them, and who will be suitable for this product. :)

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

you should do the Cambridge sound works microworks ii 

my computer beats all computers in a 1,000 NM radius

I have a set of Companion 3s. I like them because the sound quality is plenty good enough for what I need, and the build quality of them is amazing. I love the all metal construction and good looks, so I'm willing to pay a little extra for it. 

Personal Rig: i7 7700K - Asus Strix Z270H - 2x8GB GSkill RGB memory 3000Mhz - EVGA GTX1080ti SC2 - 2X Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - EVGA SuperNOVA 750G2

I think these series on speakers is great and these Bose speakers look a bit funny with the satellite speakers but after your explanation on how they actually face your ears it made a lot more sense.

I'd love to know how these or similar speakers would compare to my stone old JBL Media 200WH/230.

rxaiz58f.jpg

They have a ton of features and options like bass and treble knobs, they automatically turn off when there's no signal and you could even plug a seperate subwoofer into them and control it via the speakers bass knob - and they get extremely loud (although at some point, when they're REALLY loud, the sound quality goes down the toilett). Also back in the days I think they were just at around 80DM (~40€ although in practice prices were converted € = DM so I guess you could say they were 80€). And in my opinion they sound a LOT better then todays equally priced speakers - I actually got the impression that modern speakers are a step back compared to lets say, well preserved 15-20year old ones. These days if you want something even remotely decent sounding you have to spend a lot of cash. Anyone else got that feeling?

CPU: AMD R5 5600x | Mainboard: MSI MAG B550m Mortar Wifi | RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 Rev E | GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Armor | Case: Xigmatek Aquila | PSU: Corsair RM650i | SSDs: Crucial BX300 120GB | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB | Crucial m500 120GB | HDDs: 2x Seagate Barracuda 4TB | CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 | Casefans: Bitfenix Spectre LED red 200mm (Intake), Bequiet Pure Wings 2 140mm (Exhaust) | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

make a review about the microlab solo 6c

I personally don't have a problem with speaker reviews.

And, despite the hate, I generally do like BOSE speakers. I've had a couple sets of the Bose Companion 2.0 (when I lived far from where I live now, and decided to sell it instead of fitting them into my suitcases) and even used those for small (20-40 people) house parties. And they were good enough to have ambient music in the background (even on our patio). 

The only problem I have is that I know the mark-up/margin on BOSE products. I've worked in one of those big box stores and I saw the cost of those bad boys. Working there, we got cost plus 10%. And even though most of us made minimum wage, getting one of those 5.1/7.1 home theatre systems (MSRP $1000+) was many of their first purchases. I didn't bother with one of those (and I'm glad: I haven't owned a TV in several years).

Corsair Obsidian 250D | be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 550W | Asus Maximus VI Impact | Intel i7-4770k | Corsair h100i (with Noctua NF-F12) | G.Skill RipjawsX 2x8GB | Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | WD Black 1TB | eVGA GTX Titan Black (+ ACX cooler)

Featured by NCIXEsther: Titan-Stuffed 250D

• 2 months later...

Hi there, big fan of your show, what is your opinion on Bose in General. I'm thinking of getting the commpainion 20s. I already own a pear of creative gigaworks t40. They're pretty nice.

stop doing speaker reviews - I don't care

:P 

I think the review are well though out and well presented however with an audience of games, a lot of people might not be bothered about speakers and more focused on headsets. 

I just wanted to say that I don't believe Linus should stop doing speaker reviews, I personally love them. I think Linus really has a keen ear for sound quality that I admire. Please keep up the good work Linus!!

I just wanted to say that I don't believe Linus should stop doing speaker reviews, I personally love them. I think Linus really has a keen ear for sound quality that I admire. Please keep up the good work Linus!!

I don't mind him doing speaker reviews and I enjoy his reviews regardless, but it would prefer him make videos on someting else.

Twitter | Steam |

Don't bother bose is purely marketing, purely cheap speakers, you pretty much only paying for the logo.

I disagree, some of the products are good quality items, but there is a premium for the name there's no argument there.

In my opinion Harman Kardon Soundsticks III are superior to the Bose Companions

I disagree, some of the products are good quality items, but there is a premium for the name there's no argument there.

I listened to their cinamate speaker and to be honest I was really impressed. I'm not an ecpert on skeapers, but I've never seen speakers that small produce sound that loud with that much base, while still sounding clear, ever.

Go read some real reviews then, because bose is purely marketing.

I'm open too any opinions, but you can't just say look at a "real" review. Reviews are all based on subjective opinions. Simply saying that a review is better because it agrees with you doesn't make it right. A good review is backed up by good information leading to the reason. If you know of such a review then please post a link and I would be glad to read it.