Bose "Companion 5" PC Speaker System

LinusTech

NCIX: N/A

Amazon: http://georiot.co/3X9D

Bose's Companion 5 speaker system gets the Linus Tech Tips review treatment! This is only our 2nd speaker review ever, so your feedback is welcome even if it's as simple as "stop doing speaker reviews - I don't care". We ARE going to finish our series of 5 reviews that I already worked really hard on, but your feedback will affect our direction in the future :)

stop doing speaker reviews - I don't care

:P 

I think the review are well though out and well presented however with an audience of games, a lot of people might not be bothered about speakers and more focused on headsets. 

Twitter | Steam |

*engaging calm boobies.

Great review @LinusTech, I like these reviews though I would like to see more products in the $100-$300 range.

We have a product display at BestBuy (I work at GeekSquad) with a similar Bose system, and I can say for sure that they can get pretty loud! Though it seems like crappy mids are a common theme with Bose.

BTW, who has the iPhone?

And can I get one of those cases for my Nexus 5? :)

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

I've done a grand total of two ever.

Calm your boobies :P

PS thank you for your honest feedback regardless ;)

I think the review are well though out and well presented however with an audience of games, a lot of people might not be bothered about speakers and more focused on headsets. I will watch the reviews anyway, they are interesting and entertaining. 

Twitter | Steam |

FKt2ZuC.jpg

That should say Beats

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

stop doing speaker reviews - I don't care

:P 

I think the review are well though out and well presented however with an audience of games, a lot of people might not be bothered about speakers and more focused on headsets. 

I think the view count will contradict this. I for one am very interested in high-ish end $200-$400 range audio products, and I think that even "gamers" will too. 

CPU: 5930K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 980Ti AMP! Extreme edition @ 1503MHz/7400MHz | RAM: 16GB Corsair Dom Plat @ 2667MHz CAS 13 | Motherboard: Asus X99 Sabertooth | Boot Drive: 400GB Intel 750 Series NVMe SSD | PSU: Corsair HX1000i | Monitor: Dell U2713HM 1440p monitor

@LinusTech, I say post another video review of speakers just to stir 'em up. :P:D :lol:

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

FKt2ZuC.jpg

That looks like one VERY comfortable toilet. :D

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

I think the view count will contradict this. I for one am very interested in high-ish end $200-$400 range audio products, and I think that even "gamers" will too. 

Well personally i am not a massive speaker fan, much prefer head phones and so do my parents.  :P

Twitter | Steam |

tumblr_m6ikpbSL8s1qbcwqc.jpg

I'm not a fan either. Although there is not much out right now that I am really dying for a review on right now so I am good with it. However I'd like to see more reviews on products that are super obscure that we might not know about like the wireless charger you did awhile back.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

I wish linus would compare this to the sp2500 and the z623, they seem to play music at the same or superior quality and they cost a ton less.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Hey LinusTech I know this may be at most somewhat related and I don't know the pricing over there but I am using Wharfedale Crystal 40's and a Pioneer VSX-520 amp and the experience is to say the least amazing!

Might be worth checking out if there is more interest on the speakers but if not at least I wont feel guilty not saying anything :)

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 2600 (4.2GHZ OC) EK-Supremacy EVO AMD RGB - Nickel+Plexi | MB:Gigabyte GA-AX370-Gaming K7

GPU EVGA GTX 970 Superclocked | Ram: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 | Corsair RM850i | Boot Drive: Intel 760P 512GB | Game Storage: Intel 660P 1TB | Storage Drive: WD Blue 4TB | Logitech G810 | Logitech G502 (Proteus core) | Pioneer VSX-520K+ 4x Wharfedale Crystal 40 Standing Speakers 150W 4ohm | Logitech G933

Lies you reviewed the sp2500s like 728 years ago!! (and probably something else)

I like audio reviews though, the only think annoying (not your fault) is that there is no reference point as a viewer. We can see what a graphics card look likes and see its measured performance on a graph for example, but speakers are subjective. I like how you approach your audio reviews though, It's about as fair and none biased as you can be. also leave my boobies alone :( man boobies but still

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I'd actually like more reviews of random stuffs including speakers and other more "non-PC" tech. And looking at the most popular videos on the channel I don't think I'm the only one.

That said personally I'm not really going to get any PC speakers anytime soon. I have some old janky $30 logitech ones that I never really use and aren't even hooked upto my PC ATM. I'm always using headphones at my PC. When I want to play music throughout the house I'll fire up the Sonos. When I want to watch something with a few peoples I'll probably watch it on the TV. But I still enjoy the reviews anyways :)

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

I play a hell of a lot of games, and I always use speakers, I started using speakers as my headset stopped working, but now prefer speakers.

Official Profile for Addon Customs LTD and Custom Acrylics
Addon Customs -
Custom LED Lighting | Single colour and RGB available, hand sleeved | Now making Phanteks Case compatible LED KITS
Custom Acrylics - Custom computer parts | GPU backplates, Fan Grills, NZXT H440 Fascias and PSU covers | 3D printing and Laser Cutting Service available.

The only time I use my headset is when I'm on teamspeak with my mates, I never use it for gaming in general, much prefer speakers.

I liked the video. It was interesting to see a different perspective on Bose products for a change. They're usually disregarded so fast that it becomes difficult to actually determine how they fare next to their competition.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

@LinusTech I would love for you to continue with speaker reviews. Perhaps you could try reviewing a set that are more value oriented though - I don't have £300 to drop on a speaker system. Don't know how many others will. The same goes for headphones! 

As for the reviews, I think they are awesome, especially the smartphone ones. You sound like you know your stuff about audio (pun intended :) ), and while you're not fussed about rooting android phones, maybe Luke could give some input on this with a few words from him at the end? I really appreciate the effort you put into the reviews, they are always informative, entertaining and you take a neutral approach to your recommendations which is also a bonus. However, I think it would be nice to hear your honest opinion about whether you would recommend the product you are reviewing (like the R7 240 :P)

Keep up the great work :)

| My first build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/117400-my-very-first-build/ | Build for my friend's 18th: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/168660-pc-for-my-friends-18th-with-pictures-complete/ |

ATH-M50X Review: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/165934-review-audio-technica-ath-m50-x/ | Nintendo 3DS XL Review: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/179711-nintendo-3ds-xl-review/ | Game Capture Guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/186547-ultimate-guide-to-recording-your-gameplay/

Case: Corsair 200R CPU: i5 4670K @ 3.4GHz RAM: Corsair 8GB 1600MHz C9 Mobo: GIGABYTE Z87-HD3 GPU: MSI R9 290 Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO PSU: EVGA 750W Storage: 120GB SSD, 1TB HDD Display: Dell U2212HM OS: Windows 8

in my high school each classroom has one of these Bose Companion speakers (I think am older version however). And the school complains about not having enough money (its a public school)...

and the speakers aren't even setup correctly, half the time sound comes out of the projector built in speaker and when it does play through Bose, there is a loud annoying sound out of the projector.

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

I'm really glad you've started this series, as I'm looking for some Desktop speakers myself. I was wondering if there are any entry level/budget grade reviews coming, or if this series is more for higher grade products. Great stuff though.