Bowers & Wilkins MM-1 Speakers

Sexy, wwwaaayyyy too much though. Hope you'll be reviewing some 2.1 systems in this series, looking for something to replace my 10 year old Altec Lansing's :)

Logitech Z-2300, the very last of the 2.1 Titans.

AMD RYZEN 7 5800X3D \ Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite \  32GB 3600 G.SKILL Neo \  Gigabyte RTX 4080 Gaming OC \  Lian Li O11 Dynamic Evo \  NVMe 2TB Samsung 990 Pro, SATA 4TB Samsung 970 Evo  \  WINDOWS 11 PRO 

It never troubles the wolf how many the sheep may be. ~Publius Vergilius Maro circa 50BC

When I saw these, I immediately thought that you should try some form Bang And Olufsen. Not really small PC speakers, but they have a very similar stylish look. Might be quite a bit more expensive though...

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

It feels as though no games ever leave the BETA stage anymore, until about 3 years after it officially releases. - Shd0w2 2014

If you're ready to spend $500, I would recommend Genelec 6010A speakers. I have heard good things about them. Also, Genelec is a Finnish brand making studio monitors - they are like sennheiser of speakers in a way.

I second that. If you're serious about audio quality, then Genelecs are an excellent choice. I've got the 8020Bs myself, they're one step above the 6010As so they're a bit more expensive. I paid about $400 per speaker which was a pretty good price for them.

Can't really take linus serious anymore advising bose speakers, bose are pretty bad like beats by dre, bose re colors sound to make it sound nice they aren't accurate at all any audiophile should stay away from them.

Bose is targeted at people that come in store just want buy speakers don't care about all the important things, aka just want to buy speakers primarily for the logo, not for the sound quality.

Thats just...like...your opinion man. 

Their QC line is some of the best noise cancellation headphones I've used. The QC20s especially, hard to beat what you get for what you pay when it comes to the QC line. 

Their computer speakers aren't that bad either, shocker. AT that price point you are paying for tech as much as you are paying for a name. And if you have a problem don't buy it, no one forced you to.

Also, 'audiophile' is not a term you should be using with much pride. Audiophiles couldn't tell the difference between blind source tests, audiophile itself is one of the best marketing gimmicks the industry has ever made. 

We're clearly all ignoring the highlight of the video guys...

LSFEfWs.png

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

We're clearly all ignoring the highlight of the video guys...

LSFEfWs.png

damnit now me or someone else is gonna have to photoshop linus' face onto David Tennant's body

or visa versa

Can't really take linus serious anymore advising bose speakers, bose are pretty bad like beats by dre, bose re colors sound to make it sound nice they aren't accurate at all any audiophile should stay away from them.

Bose is targeted at people that come in store just want buy speakers don't care about all the important things, aka just want to buy speakers primarily for the logo, not for the sound quality.

lol. bose have been around for years and know what they are doing. unlike monster. they are just expensive. 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

Is the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 going to be in the review line up? I HIGHLY doubt there's going to be anything that will give you better bang for the buck :)

Corsair 900D | MSI MPower Max Z87 AC | i7-4790K @ 4.7Ghz | 1080 Ti SLI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400 
XSPC Raystorm | EK-FC Nickel GPU block/backplate | 2x Alphacool UT60 480mm & XT45 240mm | 11x Linus Edition NF-F12
Schiit Modi/Magni 2 Uber | 5" KRK Rokit G3 | KRK 10S2 | Acer Predator X34 | Dell S2716DG

Everyone, for $500 these are overpriced poop, Behringer Truth B3031A which are two for $500 and then probably another $25 dollars for adapters are much better

they still suck tho, so whats the point in reviewing even worse speakers? good speakers costs a fortune, if you want anything even close to the sound quality of 400-500$ headphones you could need to spend near 800$ PER speaker to even try to compete..

That is insanely false, look at any studio monitor speakers for example Behringer Truth B3031A, which I personally own are the same if not better sound quality than my ath-m50s. Given I have them hooked up to a Behringer Xenyx 1202FX mixer. $650 for the whole setup

Logitech's z623 are the best 2.1 speaker system. They have a great sub and two crystal clear satellite speakers. z623 are available for the low cost of around $100. Linus PLEASE CHECK THESE SPEAKERS OUT! 

Hey Linus thanks for this review.

I actually expected more from this product, in terms of performance but the end result does not surprise me. Small drivers simply can not perform at loud decibel levels and reproduce the full frequency range without distortion.

B&W are my favorite speaker manufacturer. They offer fantastic products at fantastic prices for people serious about audio. They have pioneered some unique technology in the speaker industry, Kevlar drivers and diamond tweeters.

If your willing to run an external amplifier ( I do) these will perform much better at the same price.

http://www.bowers-wilkins.net/Speakers/Theatre_Solutions/Mini_Theatre/M-1.html

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/bowers-and-wilkins-5-2-way-bookshelf-speakers-pair-black-ash-vinyl/1277319.p?id=1218246223973&skuId=1277319

random image from the net. B&W beauty

969mjs.jpg

my realistic dream home theater set up is 7 of these bad boys and 4 x 12" subs :)

when you talked about the "virtual center channel". this is referred to as imaging. B&W does a phenomenal job at this.

In my opinion it is not the speakers job to produce bass. The speaker should accelerate at accurate detailed mids and highs. For best results always run one or more powered sub-woofers.

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

In my opinion, for the price there shouldn't be any audio source that these things don't excel at and they should be able to go up to 11 without causing any audio degradation... not 7.5.

In my opinion, for the price there shouldn't be any audio source that these things don't excel at and they should be able to go up to 11 without causing any audio degradation... not 7.5.

If you want speakers that crank up distortion free until your ears can't take it anymore, you're gonna have to spend way more than $500.

I really don't know what I'm supposed to say about that sort of product I hesitated before with logitech 2.1's because of the price. For something thats just sitting on my desk next to my monitor I won't spend more than 70$ I'd rather stick to my stereo(which I have had for about 12 years now) or headphones.

<---- even those B)

Hey Linus thanks for this review.

random image from the net. B&W beauty

969mjs.jpg

Is it just me, or is that thing hideous to anyone else?

HexCase: Corsair iCUE 5000X RGBCPU: Ryzen R7 3700X  | MOBO: Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus | GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super | RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaw DDR4-3600 16GB | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB & 480 GB EVO | HDD: 4tb WD Black & 3TB WD Green | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G+ | Cooler: CORSAIR iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT, | Monitor: Acer Predator X34 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB | Mouse: Logitech Hero | OS: Windows 11 | Speakers: Audioengine A5+ | Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud 2 | Laptop/Tablet: TBD | Phone: Samsung Note 9 | PS4 | Xbox One | TV Sony XBR55X900F

Is it just me, or is that thing hideous to anyone else?

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. We must not see the same thing!

in my eyes thats a piece of audio art. Any manufacture can make a rectangular mdf cabinet and adhere veneer to it and call it a speaker. Do you remember Nuance? LOL LOL ROFL LOLZ

This company surely makes some unique hardware. artwork through my eyes.

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

For that price I hope they are made in the UK.

B&W manufactures the entry level products in China. Swiftech also Manufactures in China. As do the majority of brands.

Its not where the product is made its all about quality assurance!

Im happy to report the higher end B&W products are in fact manufactured in the UK

Im happy to report the higher end B&W products are in fact manufactured in the UK

I know that. They are from my home town; I was in the same class as the grandson of their founder.