Power Supply/ies for 3 R9 280Xs

K, so I'm down to buying the PSU/s for my mining rig and I need some help on the power supply end of things. I found that the FSP Aurum 650W 80+ Gold PSU is only $135 and I figured if I get two of them I should be able to run 2 280Xs of one and the other 280X on the other PSU. Then later on I can get another 650W Aurum and 3 more 280Xs. 

The other option I have is to buy a Silverstone Strider Gold Evolution 1200W PSU and just hook up all three of them to it and then later on put another one on it and grab another PSU along with another two 280Xs. Or I could just keep the 3 280Xs and the Silverstone and keep mining with just them. 

What I could also do is just get one more 280X for either the Silverstone Strider or the Aurum later on, whichever I choose. 

What I'm most likely to do is to just get 2 FSP 650W Aurums, then another 280X later on.

I'd think that the Aurums would be able to handle 2 OCed R9 280X a piece but I'm not sure about the Strider handling 4 OCed 280Xs. 

Finally I'd like to make it clear that I don't want any negative comments about coin mining, I'm going to do and I have my reasons. Also btw the price of two 650W Aurums and one Silverstone Strider 1200W are the same so there's no advantage price wise. If you think there is a better option I'd really like to know. Also I already have the three 280Xs so don't try and persuade me into something other than mining with GPUs. Thanks if you help me out. 

Cheers!

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Be nice and have fun. Cheers!

Use as few PSUs as possible. Not only is it easier on every level, it also is fewer points of failure. When you're having trouble setting it up, you don't have to worry about which psu is causing issues. May save you a headache.

Use as few PSUs as possible. Not only is it easier on every level, it also is fewer points of failure. When you're having trouble setting it up, you don't have to worry about which psu is causing issues. May save you a headache.

Hmm, I just thought that it might be easier to have 2 GPUs on a PSU each, plus it gives me another 50Ws for both sets (x1 Aurum and x2 280Xs). I get that it would be somewhat easier with troubleshooting but hopefully I don't get stuck with more problems (I've been having software problems non-stop since I made my build in Jan) and also it does make for one less point of failure. I also fancy the FSP PSUs over the Strider, they look a lot better imo. Idk, I'd like to hear more points of view from you guys. 

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15_1619&products_id=27012

1000W 80+ Platinum (even more efficient than gold) EVGA for 259 AUD

_________________________________________________________________________________

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15_535&products_id=26955

700W 80+ Gold Silverstone 119 AUD

I would get one of these two in your setup instead of the ones you were talking about

it's hard to refrain from shit talking over mining haha, but I managed to get through the post without that. 

"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15_1619&products_id=27012

1000W 80+ Platinum (even more efficient than gold) EVGA for 259 AUD

_________________________________________________________________________________

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15_535&products_id=26955

700W 80+ Gold Silverstone 119 AUD

I would get one of these two in your setup instead of the ones you were talking about

it's hard to refrain from shit talking over mining haha, but I managed to get through the post without that. 

I was looking at that EVGA, but then I thought "maybe not" as I don't want to run 4 OCed 280Xs on only a 1000W PSU. Also the EVGA isn't Platinum, it's only Gold.

Hmm didn't pay attention the the rating and price of the Strider Essential, I'll definitely consider getting two of them. 

I was looking at that EVGA, but then I thought "maybe not" as I don't want to run 4 OCed 280Xs on only a 1000W PSU. Also the EVGA isn't Platinum, it's only Gold.

Hmm didn't pay attention the the rating and price of the Strider Essential, I'll definitely consider getting two of them. 

you're right the EVGA is not platinum, my bad. 

That silverstone seems to be one of the best values in Australia (I did find a 550w antec 80+ platinum for 129$ as well btw)

you're right the EVGA is not platinum, my bad. 

That silverstone seems to be one of the best values in Australia (I did find a 550w antec 80+ platinum for 129$ as well btw)

Naw, I'd rather get a 700W Gold for $120 than a 550W Plat for $130. Thanks for the suggestion I am actually going to buy two really soons along with a G3220 and 4GB of Kingston ValueRAM  :D. Unless of cause something else pops up which is better than the Silverstone, which I doubt. 

I voted other. Get an Antec or Seasonic PSU.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Hmmm, come to think of it I could just get away with the 600W version of the Silverstone Essential Gold, wouldn't I? I'd be saving another $20 and I don't think I need 1400Ws unless of cause I'd be able to power 5 or 6 280Xs. 

I voted other. Get an Antec or Seasonic PSU.

Please be specific, I've looked around and all so a general "this brand" comment doesn't help me. 

Please be specific, I've looked around and all so a general "this brand" comment doesn't help me.

Well it is 4:34 am and I am too tired to look up specific models but I can tell you this there isn't one bad Antec or Seasonic psu I know of. All of their stuff is reliable. Pick one out in your price range and buy it.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Well it is 4:34 am and I am too tired to look up specific models but I can tell you this there isn't one bad Antec or Seasonic psu I know of. All of their stuff is reliable. Pick one out in your price range and buy it.

Well I'll get two of those Essential Gold Silverstone PSUs. Such value, many watts, much power, wow. 

So this is what I'm about to get:

Final_Descision.png

What are your thoughts?

+XFX. All XFX PSUs are rebranded recent seasonic models and usually cost quite a bit less than the seasonic models they are based on. PC parts and cooling also uses rebranded seasonic PSUs, but they are old crappy models, not new stuff. Other than that I don't know of any other brand who has only Seasonic PSUs in their lineup (corsair, nzxt etc.. all use seasonic but not for all their PSUs)

So this is what I'm about to get:

What are your thoughts?

I think you can go with an even cheaper CPU

+XFX. All XFX PSUs are rebranded recent seasonic models and usually cost quite a bit less than the seasonic models they are based on. PC parts and cooling also uses rebranded seasonic PSUs, but they are old crappy models, not new stuff. Other than that I don't know of any other brand who has only Seasonic PSUs in their lineup (corsair, nzxt etc.. all use seasonic but not for all their PSUs)

I think you can go with an even cheaper CPU

Not really, it's the cheapest I can find for LGA 1150, and I don't want to go on another website that has higher prices on the PSUs and RAM, PCCG is the cheapest around.

Why does it have to be 1150?

Because I'm using my ASRock Fatal1ty Z87 Killer mobo, so it's an LGA 1150 socket board.

You already have the motherboard?

Yes, sorry I didn't explain that, it was 11pm :P

K, so I've seen that a lot of people have voted for the Gold Evolution and I want to know why that is. I get that it means there is one less point of failure but the Essential Golds allow me to have another 50Ws per card. I want to know if I can run 4 OCed 280Xs on the Silverstone Gold Evolution, if so than I maybe might change the order to it rather than the two Essential Golds. I don't have too much time though as I ordered it last night and the items might be shipped today. Yep, it's been shipped, I still think the Essential ones are better than getting a Gold Evolution.