Converting Video

Hey guys, im new to video editing field, i just recorded my league game play using bandicam, than the raw avi file is 5gb, converted to mov, and it shrinked to like 500mb, this is normal thing?

also, how much of quality decrease should i expect from converting?

Quality loss I'm not sure about, but a lot of the time *.avi files are completely uncompressed so when you render it through a format that does compressing you can usually tack off like 80% of the original file size.

Quality loss I'm not sure about, but a lot of the time *.avi files are completely uncompressed so when you render it through a format that does compressing you can usually tack off like 80% of the original file size.

so.. it is normal to see huge chunk of size decrease right?

so.. it is normal to see huge chunk of size decrease right?

Yeah, I've had files from Fraps that are a few hundred gigs and when I render them out they're usually around 2-3 GB.

What you need to do is find a bitrate calculator. Many websites and even programs can have you input your needs and spit out a worst case bitrate - Length VS filesize = bitrate needed.

Its trial and error. If you select 720p and I select 720p, they can still look drastically different due to the amount of bitrate allowed depending what you or I set.

Convert to mp4, its quite the universal format and every device pretty much can view it.

for 720p low filesize/low quality (dualpass encode @ 6mbps)

for 720p higher filesize/higher quality (dualpass encode @ 10mbps)

1080p low filesize/low quality (dualpass encode @ 12mbps)

1080p higher filesize / higher quality (dualpass encode @ 18mbps)

As I said, Trial and error, you may not think this is good enough, or you may think its still too big...

I'd never do a single pass encoding unless your going for below 720p (phones and whatnot)

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Hey guys, im new to video editing field, i just recorded my league game play using bandicam, than the raw avi file is 5gb, converted to mov, and it shrinked to like 500mb, this is normal thing?

also, how much of quality decrease should i expect from converting?

You WILL loose quality from transcoding a video. What exactly did you use to 'convert' your video? To be honest, you shouldnt be using anything other than the x264 encoder and MKV or MP4 containers.

The quality after transcoding will be dependant on the settings you used.

Mov is just a container. It is like converting .doc to .txt. The contents is just formatted in a different way.

What you need to do is find a bitrate calculator. Many websites and even programs can have you input your needs and spit out a worst case bitrate - Length VS filesize = bitrate needed.

Its trial and error. If you select 720p and I select 720p, they can still look drastically different due to the amount of bitrate allowed depending what you or I set.

Convert to mp4, its quite the universal format and every device pretty much can view it.

for 720p low filesize/low quality (dualpass encode @ 6mbps)

for 720p higher filesize/higher quality (dualpass encode @ 10mbps)

1080p low filesize/low quality (dualpass encode @ 12mbps)

1080p higher filesize / higher quality (dualpass encode @ 18mbps)

As I said, Trial and error, you may not think this is good enough, or you may think its still too big...

I'd never do a single pass encoding unless your going for below 720p (phones and whatnot)

It doesnt really make sense to use a bitrate to determine the quality of the output. A CRF value with the x264 encoder is much more sensible. The settings are NOT trial and error. They are dependant on your source video, and what the output will be used for.

@fsnfms, I don't know what transcoder (converter) you're using but I always use Handbrake for all of my transcoding needs. It does the usual x.264 and MKV which are basically the best formats/containers to use. I hope that helps. :D

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

It doesnt really make sense to use a bitrate to determine the quality of the output. A CRF value with the x264 encoder is much more sensible. The settings are NOT trial and error. They are dependant on your source video, and what the output will be used for.

I meant trial and error to FIND the settings you feel are best. Not that its the be all and end all to figure it out.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz