Building a 'Boominator' for a festival (Roskilde Festival)

XzzDSA

Heya folks o/

So me and a couple of friends are going to the annual Roskilde festival i Denmark, Roskilde. 

We need a soundsystem. A so called 'Boominator' is a sort of compact system which you can easily build yourself, pack a few woofers and an amp in it and you are good to go.

e0Ip9W4.jpg

Basicly what I want to ask is for advice for which kind of woofers / speakers and AMP, I should be looking for, to get an acceptable quality and a somewhat loud system, (90-110db?).
Also, it needs to be somewhat on the cheap.

We havn't decided for a budget yet, but I'm thinking around a max of 800$.

Here's a list of the stuff I will need:

CRITICAL:

1. Woofers.

2. Tweeters.

3. Amps.

4. Crossover filter.

OPTIONAL:

5. Batteries.
6. Solar panel.

7. Recharge station for devices.

So anything that's not critical to the system should just be concidered when it comes to pricing :P

I appriciate any help and advice you can give me :)

Thank you!

Everyone have a cool signature. I don't, so I thought I would write something.

- Cool right?

90's is calling....

filepicker-hzvujbd3q5eklzas8wfl_boombox_

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

800$? That thing could pack a pretty good punch with that budget.

I can't give you any definitive advice on this since im no audio guy. And my only car audio savvy friend is in thailand right now :/

But i will say that this makes me even more sad that im not going this year :(

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

90's is calling....

Lol, so true xD

800$? That thing could pack a pretty good punch with that budget.

I can't give you any definitive advice on this since im no audio guy. And my only car audio savvy friend is in thailand right now :/

But i will say that this makes me even more sad that im not going this year :(

I have no clue wether 800$ is gonna be well enough. This budget needs to include woofers, tweeters, amp(s). Anything for hooking them up, batteries.. And I have a small dream of some solar panels to charge it and phones and what not :P

Should proberly make a list of stuff I'd like to have in it..

- Cool right?

Lol, so true xD

I have no clue wether 800$ is gonna be well enough. This budget needs to include woofers, tweeters, amp(s). Anything for hooking them up, batteries.. And I have a small dream of some solar panels to charge it and phones and what not :P

Should proberly make a list of stuff I'd like to have in it..

Yeah a list would've been nice^^ Currently looking around BRL electronics website for some decent stuff. 

But now im planning a soundsystem upgrade for my car... so this might take a few minutes.

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Yeah a list would've been nice^^ Currently looking around BRL electronics website for some decent stuff. 

But now im planning a soundsystem upgrade for my car... so this might take a few minutes.

Haha np :P

- Cool right?

Go on dba.dk and see if you can find a used car stereo. The thing will of course be heavy as all hell as both the components and the car batteries to drive it aren't exactly light, however if it's just for the camp that shouldn't be a problem. Remember you need more than just 2 subs, you need something for the mids and highs as well.

Go on dba.dk and see if you can find a used car stereo. The thing will of course be heavy as all hell as both the components and the car batteries to drive it aren't exactly light, however if it's just for the camp that shouldn't be a problem. Remember you need more than just 2 subs, you need something for the mids and highs as well.

I've been looking at DBA.. Some are selling their own sound systems from previous years. But tbh. I'd like to have something of a 'decent' quality. I don't think I'm going to get that with a disassembled car stereo.

- Cool right?

@beebskadoo that was more the 80's if I remember being there.

If you want to reduce weight and still have loud then you are going to have to look at Class D amps.  Something like this:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PIONEER-GM-D8604-1200W-4-3-2-CHANNEL-CLASS-D-DIGITAL-BRIDGEABLE-CAR-AMPLIFIER-/171261040525?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27dff4178d

For speakers you will only need 8-10" P.A drivers, and get bullet piezo tweeters as they have protection caps in them and don't require a crossover (they'll save in complexity).

For the sound quality you will get you won't notice an elaborate crossover anyway.

Tweeter: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-Piezo-85-x-85mm-150watt-Horn-Piezo-Tweeter-Buy-8-and-get-2-extra-for-FREE-/190899496799?pt=AU_Pro_Audio&hash=item2c727f275f

Woofer: http://jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=CG2381&form=CAT2&SUBCATID=1020#4

As for the source I would recommend a generic cd/radio/usb head-unit, and add a 12v accessory plug for charging things.

The battery is going to have to be a deep cycle battery, the bigger the more heavy and the longer it will last.  Forget about solar, by the time you get solar panels big enough to effectively charge that battery it will be rather inconvenient, if you can get access to a generator or car for an hour every day that will charge it better. 

Of course you'll have to find similar parts in your land however depending on the size of the battery you use this unit should run for about 3 hours at 100dB about 2 metres away.

P.S make it out of 12mm ply board, you may be tempted by the cheaper particle board but it will fall apart much quicker. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

@beebskadoo that was more the 80's if I remember being there.

If you want to reduce weight and still have loud then you are going to have to look at Class D amps.  Something like this:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PIONEER-GM-D8604-1200W-4-3-2-CHANNEL-CLASS-D-DIGITAL-BRIDGEABLE-CAR-AMPLIFIER-/171261040525?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27dff4178d

For speakers you will only need 8-10" P.A drivers, and get bullet piezo tweeters as they have protection caps in them and don't require a crossover (they'll save in complexity).

For the sound quality you will get you won't notice an elaborate crossover anyway.

Tweeter: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-Piezo-85-x-85mm-150watt-Horn-Piezo-Tweeter-Buy-8-and-get-2-extra-for-FREE-/190899496799?pt=AU_Pro_Audio&hash=item2c727f275f

Woofer: http://jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=CG2381&form=CAT2&SUBCATID=1020#4

As for the source I would recommend a generic cd/radio/usb head-unit, and add a 12v accessory plug for charging things.

The battery is going to have to be a deep cycle battery, the bigger the more heavy and the longer it will last.  Forget about solar, by the time you get solar panels big enough to effectively charge that battery it will be rather inconvenient, if you can get access to a generator or car for an hour every day that will charge it better. 

Of course you'll have to find similar parts in your land however depending on the size of the battery you use this unit should run for about 3 hours at 100dB about 2 metres away.

P.S make it out of 12mm ply board, you may be tempted by the cheaper particle board but it will fall apart much quicker. 

Ahh cool. I'll look into these speakers...

I was going to get a D-class AMP anyway for saving power.. Needs to be as efficient as it can get. For batteries, still not sure what I'm going to do... I've heard some having their d-class amp powered system lasting several days on a battery.. Don't know what kind of battery unit they use, and not sure wether to believe this or not.

I was looking into some Eminence or P-audio woofers as they tend to be pretty popular with this kind of system. 

On another note: I know how to wire and solder things, I have no clue however what to use for head-unit and charging unit.

Also, is there a cheaper 'performing' alternative to that pioneer amp?

- Cool right?

Specifically I've been looking at some P-audio HP-10W and Eminence Basslite S2010.

- Cool right?

Soldering isn't that hrd, just watch some youtube videos to get the general idea. Those speakers sound alright, Eminence used to be well respected but havn't seen or heard anyhing  from them for a while.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Soldering isn't that hrd, just watch some youtube videos to get the general idea. Those speakers sound alright, Eminence used to be well respected but havn't seen or heard anyhing  from them for a while.

I know how to solder, I'm just confused with which parts I should be looking at for charging things, and for the reading ofc. :)

- Cool right?

Run the head unit straight of the battery,  and use a 3 stage 12v charger.

Head units are not suited for this purpose, they draw a multitude of what a decent native 12v amp draws. A TA202x based 15 watt amp will only consume 350mA at full volume before clipping.

• 2 weeks later...

Head units are not suited for this purpose, they draw a multitude of what a decent native 12v amp draws. A TA202x based 15 watt amp will only consume 350mA at full volume before clipping.

Could you share a few sites where I can find amps based on chipset? :)

EDIT: Nevermind. :)

I need to find out what to use for input on the amp, if I should just run a cable to the amps inputs for an AUX plug, or if there's any kind of panel you can get where you can connect USB devices for charging, AUX for music and so on?

Else I'd proberly just end up with some traditional plugs.

Also, due to price - I have had to reduce the size of the unit.. So it'll only feature two woofers and four tweeters. . . But that should be plenty tbh. concidering my camp size :)

- Cool right?

Could look at solutions from dB Audio or I think even RCF ventured into battery powered units.

I need to find out what to use for input on the amp, if I should just run a cable to the amps inputs for an AUX plug, or if there's any kind of panel you can get where you can connect USB devices for charging, AUX for music and so on?

Else I'd proberly just end up with some traditional plugs.

You could get a recessed metal dish and drill your own holes to fit panel mountable connectors. 

Could look at solutions from dB Audio or I think even RCF ventured into battery powered units.

They perform nowhere close to the Boominator.

You could get a recessed metal dish and drill your own holes to fit panel mountable connectors. 

Good idea!

I will look into that!...

I have found a place where I can get some p.audio woofers with some tweeters.

I may also step back abit and do a 'halfinator'.. Basicly just half a boominator :D

Not a huuuge camp 'yet'.. So it should be sufficient. . 

Also one of my buddies have aaaaall of the tools needed to construct it, just need some wood to build it of off :)

- Cool right?

Whatever you do please post pictures of it.

I'll see if I can make that happen, for sure! :D

- Cool right?

No,it's called a Boominator. It's a particular design optimized for maximum output outdoors with minimal power use.

No,it's called a Boominator. It's a particular design optimized for maximum output outdoors with minimal power use.

(and you build it yourself).. You can call it a ghetto blaster.. but it's much more ghetto-ish than even that xD

- Cool right?