can an overheat cause freezing throughout pc lifetime?

Go to solution Solved by Austin:P,

This happen to me when i built my computer and it wasnt an accident i was just ignorant. I tried to see if my computer worked before applying the CPU as to save me from having to take the heatsink off if the CPU was DOA. It turned itself off after a couple seconds and i was stuck. I didnt know what i was doing. I did this not once, but like 3 times. Its worth noting i have a 220w AMD processor (Ik, big mistake) but i took the computer in to a microcenter and they explained what i had done, which was overheated my porcessor... 3 times. They put my heatsink on and everything worked good, they said i was the luckiest guy to have my CPU still work after this. However, it started doing what yours is doing. I hurried up and sent it back to the AMD manufacturer and they replaced it under warranty. (I didnt exactly tell them what i had done) and now everything works like it should. 

So if i were you id hurry up and get it replaced because i believe it is your CPU. You probably burnt some pins or something.

A while ago I built a PC for a friend. while i was building the computer, I accidentally turned it on while reaching over it to get the CPU heatsink (the heatsink was off because the computer wasn't posting and I was worried that the cpu wasn't getting power. It wasn't, but I fixed that problem by replacing bad ram) and while I was doing this the cpu overheated and turned the PC off. I realized this had happened when i went to rub off a little bit of dust from the processor and burned my finger. my immediate response was to fasten the heatsink as quickly as possible and use a room fan to blow on it. when it did cool down, the computer posted and I was able to install windows 7 ultimate. After solving a whole other slew of problems (conflicting registry, bad drivers, and so on) the computer stopped blue screening, but it still freezes periodically and I never see the CPU, an intel i5 4670k, reach very high activity levels. could this be because of that one overheat? I'd just like to know so that I can replace the processor/motherboard if I need to and stop this freezing. It's really been attacking my ego that one of my machines is acting like this. I'll post a parts list at the bottom. My only remaining question would be, can an overheat damage the motherboard pins? if so, then i may end up replacing the whole lot and calling in the warranties.
PARTS:
Processor:           intel core i5 4670K
Motherboard:      MSI G43 Z87
GPU (crossfire):  1X MSI HD7790 oc
                           1X asus HD7790 oc Direct CUII
RAM:                   2X 4GB Gskill Ripjaws 1600mhz CL9 1.50V
PSU:                    Apevia warlock 750Watt psu
HDD:                    Seagate barracuda 7200rpm 1TB
CPU heatsink:     stock intel heatsink (will upgrade to enermax twister soon)
case:                   raidmax vampire full tower

Ryzen 7 3700X

Aorus GTX 1080ti

G.Skill TridentZ 3200MHz 2x8GB

Corsair SFX 750W

Phanteks Evolve Shift Air (glass front)

2x Corsair Force GS 120GB SSD (RAID 0)

It could very well be that when the CPU overheated it may have melted or damaged something in the CPU socket or even around it

Hope I could help!

Specs: CPU: AMD FX-8320 @4.0ghz GPU: ASUS DCUII GTX 770 PSU: EVGA Supernova 750g CASE: Fractal Define R4 RAM: 8 Gigabytes ADATA 1333 Mhz MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3

Hmm ,if the system was able to turn off when the temps reached the cpus upper limit, then there probably shouldn't be any damage... Though I'm not really sure if this is the case without the heatsink.

Even a motherboard or gpu heatsink can burn your fingers when the system is under load...

What happens when you launch Prime95 etc?

CPU: Intel i7 3970X @ 4.7 GHz  (custom loop)   RAM: Kingston 1866 MHz 32GB DDR3   GPU(s): 2x Gigabyte R9 290OC (custom loop)   Motherboard: Asus P9X79   

Case: Fractal Design R3    Cooling loop:  360 mm + 480 mm + 1080 mm,  tripple 5D Vario pump   Storage: 500 GB + 240 GB + 120 GB SSD,  Seagate 4 TB HDD

PSU: Corsair AX860i   Display(s): Asus PB278Q,  Asus VE247H   Input: QPad 5K,  Logitech G710+    Sound: uDAC3 + Philips Fidelio x2

HWBot: http://hwbot.org/user/tame/

This happen to me when i built my computer and it wasnt an accident i was just ignorant. I tried to see if my computer worked before applying the CPU as to save me from having to take the heatsink off if the CPU was DOA. It turned itself off after a couple seconds and i was stuck. I didnt know what i was doing. I did this not once, but like 3 times. Its worth noting i have a 220w AMD processor (Ik, big mistake) but i took the computer in to a microcenter and they explained what i had done, which was overheated my porcessor... 3 times. They put my heatsink on and everything worked good, they said i was the luckiest guy to have my CPU still work after this. However, it started doing what yours is doing. I hurried up and sent it back to the AMD manufacturer and they replaced it under warranty. (I didnt exactly tell them what i had done) and now everything works like it should. 

So if i were you id hurry up and get it replaced because i believe it is your CPU. You probably burnt some pins or something.

Ok, thank you to everyone. hopefully Intel will be just as forgiving with this mistake. @Austin:P were you allowed to keep your processor while waiting for the replacement?

Ryzen 7 3700X

Aorus GTX 1080ti

Corsair SFX 750W

No, unfortunately i had to send mine in first. Give the manufactures call and see what they say about it.

Well, oddly enough the freezing has stopped by replacing the msi graphics card, which has been in the system since the beginning. I guess the card was just bad, which is strange since it was so highly recommended by tech reviewers.

Ryzen 7 3700X

Aorus GTX 1080ti

Corsair SFX 750W

Well, oddly enough the freezing has stopped by replacing the msi graphics card, which has been in the system since the beginning. I guess the card was just bad, which is strange since it was so highly recommended by tech reviewers.

Any card can be faulty. RMA it.