PSU Burned !!!

Ahmed Al-Karbi

hello 

how are you guys ? i just watch Linus video in youtube about Power supply ,, " how to choose the right one"

and then i said hey why don't you ask the guys there about the issue that happened today

this is my pc rig : http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/

today i went to my pc as usual and turned on and there is smoke came out of my PC !!

i was really shocked .. but the pc was working fine !! i turned off fast ! but i thought why it's working !! i turned on but turned off again cause it smells

for 3rd time i turned on to know where it smells and turned off .. all this didn't take 5 minute in each on and off ^^

but i'm feeling really worried that maybe something damage .. like other than the PSU ?!

but what shocked me is why would Power supply burn and smell like burn ! when i just bought the whole pc about 3 month ago ? and i don't overclock anything .. i just use it almost 10 hours a day and i play only games though my computer is capable to do a lot more than that ! and etismated Watt is 560 something and i picked 850 w ?

so what could be wrong with it ? 

i took it to the shop where i bought it and told them about the problem and they said they will fix it .. i hope so :) i bought it around $4000 which is 17800 DHS in UAE currency :) that's why i'm so worried ^-^ cause took my 2 years to raise the money.

thank you for your time ,, forgive my language and grammar as i'm not native speaker ^^

have a nice day 

If they said they would fix your power supply, then I wouldn't worry about that. I would be more worried about your other components and if they are damaged. When you get your new power supply, make sure everything is working as it should be.

Ryzen 1600@3.8ghz / 16gb 2400mhzASRock B350 ITX / Gigabyte RX 470 4gb / 256gb M.2 / SG13B-Q / Corsair 450w

hello 

how are you guys ? i just watch Linus video in youtube about Power supply ,, " how to choose the right one"

and then i said hey why don't you ask the guys there about the issue that happened today

today i went to my pc as usual and turned on and there is smoke came out of my PC !!

i was really shocked .. but the pc was working fine !! i turned off fast ! but i thought why it's working !! i turned on but turned off again cause it smells

for 3rd time i turned on to know where it smells and turned off .. all this didn't take 5 minute in each on and off ^^

but i'm feeling really worried that maybe something damage .. like other than the PSU ?!

but what shocked me is why would Power supply burn and smell like burn ! when i just bought the whole pc about 3 month ago ? and i don't overclock anything .. i just use it almost 10 hours a day and i play only games though my computer is capable to do a lot more than that ! and etismated Watt is 560 something and i picked 850 w ?

i took it to the shop where i bought it and told them about the problem and they said they will fix it .. i hope so :) i bought it around $4000 which is 17800 DHS in UAE currency :) that's why i'm so worried ^-^ cause took my 2 years to raise the money.

thank you for your time ,, forgive my language and grammar as i'm not native speaker ^^

have a nice day 

It can be due to overvoltage...do u have proper earthing in ur home...??

did you post permalink I cant see anything.

That link doesn't work. Go to the corner of your parts list where it says "permalink", and copy that into here.

FANBOY OF: PowerColor, be quiet!, Transcend, G.Skill, Phanteks

FORMERLY FANBOY OF: A-Data, Corsair, Nvidia

DEVELOPING FANBOY OF: AMD (GPUS), Intel (CPUs), ASRock

hello 

have a nice day 

You dont even got a pc? what are you talking about?

source?

Your link

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

If they said they would fix your power supply, then I wouldn't worry about that. I would be more worried about your other components and if they are damaged. When you get your new power supply, make sure everything is working as it should be.

"they said that they could fix"

If a PSU is smoking started to smell burned then something probably burned up inside that PSU, and i think it cost more money to fix that PSU instead of buying a new one, and even if the PSU gets fixed i would not trust it. What if the guy leaves his house with his PC on and the PSU starts to smoke again and burn his entire PC and maybe his home too.

I would recommend to buy a new one. PSUs are not that expensive

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

"they said that they could fix"

If a PSU is smoking started to smell burned then something probably burned up inside that PSU, and i think it cost more money to fix that PSU instead of buying a new one, and even if the PSU gets fixed i would not trust it. What if the guy leaves his house with his PC on and the PSU starts to smoke again and burn his entire PC and maybe his home too.

I would recommend to buy a new one. PSUs are not that expensive

I'm just going off what he said. They'll probably replace it for him, if it's under warranty.

Ryzen 1600@3.8ghz / 16gb 2400mhzASRock B350 ITX / Gigabyte RX 470 4gb / 256gb M.2 / SG13B-Q / Corsair 450w

I'm just going off what he said. They'll probably replace it for him, if it's under warranty.

okay:) i think most PSUs today have warranty:D

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3mvO4

this is my specification they will replace it .. but how can i make sure that nothing damaged ? other than PSU ? how can i make sure it wont burn again ? the new one i mean 

i'm afraid to leave my pc on now when i'm not around !! it's a scary thought ... i can't afford losing 4000$ just for a PSU that not worth 200$ !!

thanks for replay sorry for posting wrong link ^^

Generally Enermax is great brand in PSU's & especially that platinum PSU is beast, but there's no 100% guarantee that all products are fine. There maybe faulty products everywhere. Probably your PSU was faulty if it was the one which got burned.

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

Generally Enermax is great brand in PSU's & especially that platinum PSU is beast, but there's no 100% guarantee that all products are fine. There maybe faulty products everywhere. Probably your PSU was faulty if it was the one which got burned.

thank you .. they said they fixed it .. but still smell i dunno if it's really smell or i feel like it because i'm worried

instead of changing the PSU they gave me the same one but they said they fixed it and they will be responsible if anything happen .. which is fine by me .. but the temperature is 40c which is so high .. and i'm not playing games or anything 

before it was normally 28c and goes to 37 if i played a good game like ROME2 or others .. i dunno i feel pissed and i feel that this PSU that burned and they said they fix it .. it smells and it could effect my PC

Please replay to me ,, thank you

Ahmed Al-Karbi, on 14 Apr 2014 - 03:54 AM, said:

instead of changing the PSU they gave me the same one but they said they fixed it and they will be responsible if anything happen .. which is fine by me .. but the temperature is 40c which is so high .. and i'm not playing games or anything 

before it was normally 28c and goes to 37 if i played a good game like ROME2 or others .. i dunno i feel pissed and i feel that this PSU that burned and they said they fix it .. it smells and it could effect my PC

Please replay to me ,, thank you

Ask for a new one. Non faulty psu should be repaired by any shops,unless they are the authorised service center for that said brand. If they refuse,get a refund or RMA it with Corsair. But since they've 'repaired' it, I think they might have voided the warranty. Check with Corsair first.

Ask for a new one. Non faulty psu should be repaired by any shops,unless they are the authorised service center for that said brand. If they refuse,get a refund or RMA it with Corsair. But since they've 'repaired' it, I think they might have voided the warranty. Check with Corsair first.

mmmm i have no idea it's faulty PSU.. the shop didn't fix it .. they send it to the disturber which is authorized to do service ! and he didn't refuse changing it .. he said they don't have stock and shipment is coming .. or suppose to come from last Saturday and for some reason it didn't come yet .. they said they guarantee it .. the disturber the one who gets the good .. as accountant i do know that when someone ship good and sell it .. it means they are also responsible for warranties and fixing 

Ahmed Al-Karbi, on 14 Apr 2014 - 7:42 PM, said:

mmmm i have no idea it's faulty PSU.. the shop didn't fix it .. they send it to the disturber which is authorized to do service ! and he didn't refuse changing it .. he said they don't have stock and shipment is coming .. or suppose to come from last Saturday and for some reason it didn't come yet .. they said they guarantee it .. the disturber the one who gets the good .. as accountant i do know that when someone ship good and sell it .. it means they are also responsible for warranties and fixing 

Sorry I meant to write 'No faulty psu should be repaired by any shops..'. .Email the distributor directly and ask for a replacement. Make them put you on their RMA list or give you another model. Tell them you really need to use your pc.

Sorry I meant to write 'No faulty psu should be repaired by any shops..'. .Email the distributor directly and ask for a replacement. Make them put you on their RMA list or give you another model. Tell them you really need to use your pc.

what do u mean by RMA ? they told me they fix it .. and no smell coming out of it ^^ which is true !!! and if anything happen to my whole pc the shop will be held responsible .. cause they also told me it works fine .. etc ^_^

i want to make sure how do i know nothing damage ?? and psu is working fine now and not sure if it smells or just because i'm worried ^_^

Ahmed Al-Karbi, on 16 Apr 2014 - 05:24 AM, said:

what do u mean by RMA ? they told me they fix it .. and no smell coming out of it ^^ which is true !!! and if anything happen to my whole pc the shop will be held responsible .. cause they also told me it works fine .. etc ^_^

i want to make sure how do i know nothing damage ?? and psu is working fine now and not sure if it smells or just because i'm worried ^_^

If it works and like you said,no more smells etc,then everything should be fine already. You just gonna have to trust their words and hope that they'll be the one responsible if anything happens to your pc.If you are still worried with it,just get a new psu. Keep the current one for spare or sell it off.

If it works and like you said,no more smells etc,then everything should be fine already. You just gonna have to trust their words and hope that they'll be the one responsible if anything happens to your pc.If you are still worried with it,just get a new psu. Keep the current one for spare or sell it off.

thank you man for your help

they promised everything fine .. i dunno i think i'm imagining smell and everything is fine ^_^ .. if anything happen they will be responsible .. cause of warranty .. etc

thank you so much for your help