Looking for a pair of closed headphones

Logun

Hello,

I'm looking for a pair of headphones for my wife. My wife has a bit of a hearing issue (wears hearing aids). Headphones must be closed - tried a pair of Sennheiser 598 but they were unusable due to external noise and being an open cup.

They would be worn around the house and also on plane trips. (The last trip was when we discovered the 598 couldn't cut it)

She hates my ATH M50s because they are too heavy (I find them too heavy too) but the weight of the 598 seems good.

Any suggestions please? Cost under $500 please.

Work Desktop | CPU: Intel Core i7 4770k | GPU: Quadro K1200 | Motherboard: EVGA Z97 Classified | RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3-2133Mhz | PSU: Seasonic 750W SS-750KM3 80 PLUS Gold | STORAGE: WD 1TB Se Enterprise Grade Drive & Corsair Neutron NX500 400GB NVMe PCIe  | COOLER: Enermax Liqtech 240 -  5x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 2000 PWM | CASE: Corsair 600C | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Peripherals: Logitech MX Master 2S -- Logitech K840 -- INTEL X520 10Gb NIC -- 3x Acer H236HL -- Build Log | 

Work Server | CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2650 v3 | Model: Cisco UCS C220 M4 (SFF) | RAM: 64GB (4x16GB) Cisco (Samsung) DDR4 2133Mhz | STORAGE: 4x Cisco (Seagate) 900GB 10K 2.5" (RAID 10) - 2x 32GB Cisco FlexFlash Boot Drive (RAID 1) | OS: vSphere 6.7 Enterprise Plus U3 | 

Laptop | CPU: Intel Core i7 6700HQ | GPU: Nvidia GTX 960M 2GB GDDR5 | RAM: 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2400Mhz | STORAGE: 512GB Hynix NVMe | OS: Windows 10 Pro |

Gaming Desktop | CPU: Intel Core i7 9700K | GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2080 WINDFORCE 8G  | Motherboard: ASRock Z390 PHANTOM GAMING-ITX | RAM: Ballistix Elite 32GB Kit (16GB x 2) DDR4-3000 | PSU: Silverstone SX700-LPT 700w 80 PLUS Platinum | STORAGE: 2x Samsung 970 PRO 1TB NVMe | COOLER: Noctua NH-L12 | CASE: Louqe Ghost S1 | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Build Log in Progress | 

Home Server | CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2690 (Sandy Bridge) | GPU: Quadro P2000 | Motherboard: SUPERMICRO X9SRL-F  | RAM: 64GB (8x8GB) Micron VLP DDR3-1600 ECC | PSU: SUPERMICRO 665W 80 PLUS Bronze | STORAGE: 2x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB (RAID 1) - 4x WD 8TB Ultrastar (RAID 10) - Intel SSD D3-S4510 Series 240GB (BOOT)  | COOLER: Noctua NH-U12DXi4 with 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC 3000 PWM | CASE: SUPERMICRO CSE-842TQ-665B 4U | OS: vSphere 6.7 Enterprise Plus U3 | Build Log in Progress |

| Pixel 4XL 128GB - Clearly White - Unlocked - Carrier: Visible |

| F@H STATS |

For that price range, you've got a lot of options:

• Bowers & Wilkins P5
  • KEF M500
  • V-Moda M100
  • Ultrasone HFI-780
  • Shure SR940
  • Focal Spirit Professional (a bit heavy)
  • NAD VISO HP50
  • Sennheiser HD 25-1 II
  • AKG K545
  • PSB M4U 1 (2 variant has noise cancellation)

A lot of people say the NAD VISO HP50s isolate really well. Might be good for flying. A lot of people recommend Bose QuietComfort 15s for flying, but they're overpriced and don't sound so great.

If isolation is really important, I would recommend IEMs instead of headphones.

Want to find parts in your budget? Logical Increments is the guide you need. | In the market for a headset? Read this thread. | If you're looking for headphones, please refer to this thread. | Stop being backhanded when offering advice.

CPU: Intel i7-3770K @ 3.5 GHz | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio OCK | Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LK | Memory: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LP (DDR3-1600) | GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition x 2 (Crossfire) | Storage: 120 GB Kingston SSDNow V300 SSD, 2 TB Toshiba HDD | PSU: Corsair TX850 V2 | Case: In-Win Mana 136 (Black)
Monitor: ASUS VS248H-P | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 (Cherry MX Brown) | Mouse: Logitech G500 | Speakers: Logitech X-140 | Headphones: Philips Fidelio X1, Sony MDR-X05 | Webcam: Logitech C510

ooh, headphones and hearing aides are hard sometimes,  When she wore the hd598 was there any feedback in the aides and or was it purely that the external noise was too easily picked up by the aides through the open back?

Does she suffer any frequency distortions through the aides (what is there FR like?)? and finally can she remove the aides when wearing headphones or are they permanent or essential to close range hearing?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

• 2 weeks later...

ooh, headphones and hearing aides are hard sometimes,  When she wore the hd598 was there any feedback in the aides and or was it purely that the external noise was too easily picked up by the aides through the open back?

Does she suffer any frequency distortions through the aides (what is there FR like?)? and finally can she remove the aides when wearing headphones or are they permanent or essential to close range hearing?

There was no feedback that I know of. The only comment was that she could not hear very well at all over the plane engines.

I would love to get her a pair of HD8 DJ's but I hesitate in thinking that due to her hearing loss she would not get full value out of that product,

She's never mentioned any FR, but she's also quite sensitive and isn't very open about how her hearing is.

dt 880's go take a look. They are beyer's tho, so they are bright. 

dt 880's go take a look. They are beyer's tho, so they are bright. 

Those are semi open. DT770 would be more appropriate but I don't think either would be better than a NAD Viso because isolation of velour pads isn't the best. 

There was no feedback that I know of. The only comment was that she could not hear very well at all over the plane engines.

I would love to get her a pair of HD8 DJ's but I hesitate in thinking that due to her hearing loss she would not get full value out of that product,

She's never mentioned any FR, but she's also quite sensitive and isn't very open about how her hearing is.

In that case I would probably suggest some studio headphones like the HD280pro, SRH440 or Sony 7506.  They are cheaper than the HD8, all have a flat sound signature and can be pushed around with an eq a little better than most headphones making them a little more adaptable. Plus they all isolate well. 

Also if they don't work, you'll have a decent set of isolating phones for gaming and you won't have spent too much.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Awesome! Thank you all for your input!

HD8 DJ's

Intel Core i7-3770k @4.4GHz. 1.170V - Noctua NH-D14 - 8GB (2x4) G.Skill RipjawsX @1866 MHz. CL8 - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H - Samsung 840 250GB - XFX HD7970 DD GHz. @1125MHz - CM 690 II - Seagate Barracuda 2TB + WD RED 3TB - Corsair RM750X

FiiO E10 - Sennheiser HD 598 - Edifier R1600T - Sony MHC-EX50 - Razer Blackwidow Ulitmate 2013 - Razer Deathadder 2013 - LG IPS237L - Dell P2314H - Philips 237EQPH - LG 47LB561V

LG G2 - HP Spectre X360 - Audio Technica ATH-M50X - Sennheiser IE 60

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update but I decided to go with the PSB M4U 2 due to the active noise cancellation. The added weight of the batteries did come into consideration but over all my wife likes the fit and the sound.

Thanks everyone!