Computer Freezes Immediately with Prime95

Hey guys,

I just built my first OC capable PC and I am now running into some issues. I was just watching youtube before, and my computer froze up solid. It didn't BSOD or give any error. The video stopped, I couldn't move my mouse at all, no keyboard inputs would work. I held down the power button and rebooted my machine. I downloaded Prime95 and tried to run a small FFT test on 8 threads, and it locked up immediately after pressing start stress test. I shut down my comp again, cleared my CMOS, and booted again. This time, I tried a 4 thread test, with the same result. I have no idea what is going on. I had tried a bit of an over clock earlier today by going into my UEFI and having it do an auto tune, and it got it up to 4.4GHz at 1.4 volts. I didn't really wanna run my CPU like that, so I just reset it to default. Could this have something to do with it? I was just gaming with no issue before this happened (TF2 at Max settings). I could really use some help, because I just got these parts yesterday.

Parts:

i7 4770k CPU (stock cooler)

Gigabyte GA Z87-HD3 motherboard

1 4GB stick Corsair Vengeance RAM

Gigabyte 650Ti GPU

250GB HDD

400W Seasonic Fanless Powersupply 80+ Gold certified

I don't have a case because its on backorder, I am running it as a "test bench" on top of my motherboard box. I have always disconnected the system from power and grounded myself before going near the machine or messing with any of the components.

Notes: At the last freeze, I had CPUIDHWMonitor open. It looks like the cores were at about 35-40 degrees Celsius and the voltage as around 1-1.1. At least, thats what it was at the moment of freezing. Could it just be a lack of voltage as the CPU kicks up to turbo mode?

| CPU: i7 4770k 4.3GHz | MOBO: GIGABYTE Z87 HD3 | RAM: 8GB A-Data XPG V1 | GPU: EVGA GTX 780 FTW | PSU: Corsair CS750M | Storage: A-Data SP900 256GB SSD+WD Black 3TB+Hitachi 250GB HDD | Cooling: Corsair H100i | Networking: Rosewill N900 PCE WiFi Adapter | OS: Windows 10 Pro+Mac OS 10.10 Yosemite | Case: NZXT H440 |

yes the OC could have done some damage, what may be the problem is that god forsaken stock cooler of yours :P

Still learning how to play Dota 2 :)

yes the OC could have done some damage, what may be the problem is that god forsaken stock cooler of yours :P

I ran it for 5 minutes max, I saw the CPU get to 95 degrees and I took it off after that.

| CPU: i7 4770k 4.3GHz | MOBO: GIGABYTE Z87 HD3 | RAM: 8GB A-Data XPG V1 | GPU: EVGA GTX 780 FTW | PSU: Corsair CS750M | Storage: A-Data SP900 256GB SSD+WD Black 3TB+Hitachi 250GB HDD | Cooling: Corsair H100i | Networking: Rosewill N900 PCE WiFi Adapter | OS: Windows 10 Pro+Mac OS 10.10 Yosemite | Case: NZXT H440 |

Does it not freeze if you remove the overclock? I'm with Benjamin G here, stock coolers are not a good thing in any OC case.

Overclocking with a stock cooler is a bad idea.

I ran the auto test that is built into my motherboard, and when it was doing the stress test to determine the clock I saw it get to 90-100 degrees Celsius. I took it off immediately after that. Could that have fried it right there?

Hey guys,

I just built my first OC capable PC and I am now running into some issues. I was just watching youtube before, and my computer froze up solid. It didn't BSOD or give any error. The video stopped, I couldn't move my mouse at all, no keyboard inputs would work. I held down the power button and rebooted my machine. I downloaded Prime95 and tried to run a small FFT test on 8 threads, and it locked up immediately after pressing start stress test. I shut down my comp again, cleared my CMOS, and booted again. This time, I tried a 4 thread test, with the same result. I have no idea what is going on. I had tried a bit of an over clock earlier today by going into my UEFI and having it do an auto tune, and it got it up to 4.4GHz at 1.4 volts. I didn't really wanna run my CPU like that, so I just reset it to default. Could this have something to do with it? I was just gaming with no issue before this happened (TF2 at Max settings). I could really use some help, because I just got these parts yesterday.

Parts:

i7 4770k CPU (stock cooler)

Gigabyte GA Z87-HD3 motherboard

1 4GB stick Corsair Vengeance RAM

Gigabyte 650Ti GPU

250GB HDD

400W Seasonic Fanless Powersupply 80+ Gold certified

I don't have a case because its on backorder, I am running it as a "test bench" on top of my motherboard box. I have always disconnected the system from power and grounded myself before going near the machine or messing with any of the components.

Notes: At the last freeze, I had CPUIDHWMonitor open. It looks like the cores were at about 35-40 degrees Celsius and the voltage as around 1-1.1. At least, thats what it was at the moment of freezing. Could it just be a lack of voltage as the CPU kicks up to turbo mode?

turn off your autotune

clear cmos

set vcore mode to "manual"

set cpu vcore to 1.150V

try prime 95 again

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

do not overclock using the stock cooler...

you need to monitor your temps if youre going to do such a horrendous thing

also 1.4V seems pretty excessive for a 4.4GHz overclock

my 3770k stays below 1.2v at 4.6GHz

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Does it not freeze if you remove the overclock? I'm with Benjamin G here, stock coolers are not a good thing in any OC case.

The freezing has been happening without the OC. I took it off nearly immediately.

do not overclock using the stock cooler...

you need to monitor your temps if youre going to do such a horrendous thing

also 1.4V seems pretty excessive for a 4.4GHz overclock

my 3770k stays below 1.2v at 4.6GHz

It was the auto oc, I had no control over it. I saw my temps hit 100 and took it off. I thought that 1.4v was high for a 4.4Ghz clock, so thats another reason why I took it off.

turn off your autotune

clear cmos

set cpu vcore to 1.150V

try prime 95 again

Took off the auto tune and cleared cmos, set everything to auto and the Prime95 was still crashing. I will try your method and clear CMOS again, set vcore to 1.150v and will report results.

I doubt the temps could have fried your CPU, they have a TJmax for a reason. But like everyone else is saying, why did you OC to 4.4Ghz with a stock cooler?

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

I doubt the temps could have fried your CPU, they have a TJmax for a reason. But like everyone else is saying, why did you OC to 4.4Ghz with a stock cooler?

Didn't know it would send it up to 4.4GHz. I saw it get that high and took it off.

turn off your autotune

clear cmos

set cpu vcore to 1.150V

try prime 95 again

Do you know what my Vcore offset should be? I set everything back to standard settings, and I booted up. I got into my OS, went to the Gigabyte EasyTune app, and saw that when I click default, my vcore offset is a -1v with everything else at auto. Clicking apply caused an instant crash. Should I set this to something higher?

Why are you overclocking with the stock cooler? That's a terrible idea. Don't even think about it unless you have an aftermarket cooler. 

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Do you know what my Vcore offset should be? I set everything back to standard settings, and I booted up. I got into my OS, went to the Gigabyte EasyTune app, and saw that when I click default, my vcore offset is a -1v with everything else at auto. Clicking apply caused an instant crash. Should I set this to something higher?

can you not use an offset and just input the voltage of 1.150

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

It wouldn't boot with that setup. but that was also with the offset messed up. I am trying your setting again.

With the voltage at 1.150, I am able to boot to the windows 8 login screen. I enter in my password, it has the loading circle, then fades to black and stays there. No cursor or anything. If I turn the voltage down, it works. There is also no activity on the hard drive.

what voltage seems to work?

what voltage seems to work?

Playing around with it now. I just reset everything to optimized defaults. I load into my OS though, go to the Gigabyte Easy Tune, and it still shows the OC settings. In the BIOS though, it shows stock settings. I don't know what one to pay attention to.

I ran the auto test that is built into my motherboard, and when it was doing the stress test to determine the clock I saw it get to 90-100 degrees Celsius. I took it off immediately after that. Could that have fried it right there?

I honestly don't know. Does everything work well in stock settings? If it does. I recommend overclocking it again when you have a better heatsink and see the result.

Playing around with it now. I just reset everything to optimized defaults. I load into my OS though, go to the Gigabyte Easy Tune, and it still shows the OC settings. In the BIOS though, it shows stock settings. I don't know what one to pay attention to.

uninstall the software

uninstall the software

I just ran Cinebench with no issues. Could it just be a problem with Prime95 on my computer? I am not running into any of the youtube freezing issues either.

I just ran Cinebench with no issues. Could it just be a problem with Prime95 on my computer? I am not running into any of the youtube freezing issues either.

prime is not a good idea for haswell. it will overvolt your cpu if the vcore not set for manual. i prefer the xtu stress test

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/motherboards/desktop-motherboards/desktop-boards-software-extreme-tuning-utility.html

generally, using p95 on haswell architecture is not the best. tends to over-volt and create unwanted temperatures.

using aida64, intel extreme utility or OCCT seems to allow proper voltage structures. some of those do use p95

logic, but seem to be a bit more useful on the haswell platform than p95.

I honestly don't know. Does everything work well in stock settings? If it does. I recommend overclocking it again when you have a better heatsink and see the result.

I am going to over clock when I get my liquid system. Looking at the H320 from Swiftech. I just can't afford it right now.

generally, using p95 on haswell architecture is not the best. tends to over-volt and create unwanted temperatures.

using aida64, intel extreme utility or OCCT seems to allow proper voltage structures. some of those do use p95

logic, but seem to be a bit more useful on the haswell platform than p95.

Could the overvaulting be causing my instability?

I am going to over clock when I get my liquid system. Looking at the H320 from Swiftech. I just can't afford it right now.

why not a simple cooler master 212 evo to get started on overclocking till the AIO you want is purchased.

the 212 can handle some good overclocking voltages.

why not a simple cooler master 212 evo to get started on overclocking till the AIO you want is purchased.

the 212 can handle some good overclocking voltages.

I will be able to afford the H320 in like, a couple weeks or so. To me, I would rather just wait

Going through and removing all motherboard extensions (smart fan, app center, easy tune, etc.). I will clear CMOS after and run Intel Extreme tool. I'll report back with results.

I will be able to afford the H320 in like, a couple weeks or so. To me, I would rather just wait

spend the $35 for the evo and by then you'll understand the overclocking and theory

then you'll easily dial in the overclock on a AIO easier. always have a back up HSF.