Problems with Sony Bravia Home Theater 'Streaming' ?

exotioner

Well, This is gonna be a noob question, and I'm sorry, but I don't seem to be able to find an answer.
I've been searching through youtube & google the last 20 minutes trying to find a way to make this work.

Here's my scenario :
My dad wanted to watch a movie, which, I do not think I'd like to watch (Mandela : Long walk to freedom), and as the ''lovely'' son I am, I decided to A-ham..
''Borrow'' a copy on the inter-webs  :D .....
We didn't know this before just half an hour ago, when I tried to enter subtitles into a vlc video file (Which is easy enough), that I can stream via windows media player (No, can't use VLC  :() to our new TV from last month :)
Which, is all fine 'n dandy untill you realize you have no clue how to put subs onto the streaming video, which would be helpful, since my dad isn't the greatest at english, and this movie doesn't have danish language nor subs,
hence to why I'm trying to add them.

Any help ? 

P.s sorry if I posted wrong section :(

You can't use external subtitles over DLNA.

If it's a MKV file, you could add the subtitles within the container and set them as forced. Then they would pretty much act like being hard-coded.

You can't use external subtitles over DLNA.

If it's a MKV file, you could add the subtitles within the container and set them as forced. Then they would pretty much act like being hard-coded.

To be quite honest, I have no idea what you just said O.o 

All I know is that the current video file is a mp4 file, if that helps you xD

Use Mkvmerge to mux the two files together (the mp4 and the srt subtitle file) to create a MKV file.

Then it'll work :)

You could probably use a different media server too, like PS3 media server (I think) gives an option to add external subtitles.

Use Mkvmerge to mux the two files together (the mp4 and the srt subtitle file) to create a MKV file.

Then it'll work :)

You could probably use a different media server too, like PS3 media server (I think) gives an option to add external subtitles.

I muxed it, but it seems windows media player is unable to play a MKV file ? 

Any idea how to fix that ? :L

Haha, jeez. Does it not play MVK as standard. You'll need a codec pack then.

Edit: here's the K-lite codec pack, should have everything you need.

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/K_lite_codec_pack.htm

It seems it worked, thanks :)

Good to see even though I don't give alot of information, someone can still help out. Keep it up ! :D

• 3 weeks later...

z solution is to put the subtilte file .srt rename it as the same filename of the movie and put it inz same folder of ur movie.. ur tv will play z subtitle as well

• 4 months later...

Hi

I just registered to show you petition that I made for Sony Bravia TV - to they implement external subtitles over DLNA.

This is the link

Maybe they change their mind about "DLNA standard only" implementation.

Right now what you can do is to remux MKV files or use server which can render fonts in real time (however it is hardware intensive process).

I am using Universal Media Server for this, I have tried few others, but currently this works best for me.

Regards