Carbon Fiber wrap keyboard

So I had just about enough of the fingerprint glossyness of my blackwidow, so I figured vinyl wrapping "how hard could it be"  :D  

Standard glossy (dirty) blackwidow:

nr.1

Removed keaycaps and (seriously) clean:

Nr3

Measured and cut a piece of vinyl to fit over the keyboard, with some to spare, started from one end pulling off the back paper protecting the adhesive. Lined it up and started removing trapped air with the rubber squeegee, pulling the back paper as I went along.

Nr4

Same process over the entire keyboard, when I was done I got out the heat gun gently warming and pushing down in all the grooves that would be cut later, razer logo, edges around keycaps and so on.

Nr5

Continued to heat and pull the vinyl around the back of the keyboard, looks messy, but it was my first time so what do you expect, we're gonna cut it off anyway  ;)

Nr6

Cutting off the excess vinyl on the back,heating and applying some preassure on the edges after I cut them so the adhesive sticks peoperly

Nr7

Back to the front, cutting out holes where the keycaps go, leaving a couple of millimeters to fold down later so it sticks properly and looks better when it's done  :)

Nr9

Heating the vinyl at the edges and folding down the ecess material so it sticks to the walls, holding it there for a few seconds so it has time to cool and stick.

Nr8

All done, took a while but with a little patience it turned out all right for being a first encounter with vinyl  :lol:

nr10

Most boring part, putting back all the keycaps, and putting the rubber o-rings on some of the keaycaps that I didn't bother with when I bought the o-rings (haven't botered with keys I rarely use). All done here:

nr11

All in all, if you have the patience this is a pretty fun, and not at all difficult project, I used cheap chineese vinyl, so you'd probably get even better results with proper 3M di noc, but i figured I'd learn with the cheap stuff, have other prjects coming up in the future where I will be useing some higher end stuff. Just a word of warning if you use a heat gun to keep your hand beside the vinyl when heating, so you don't ruin the vinyl with too much heat. If your not used to useing a heatgun, use a hairdryer instead, it's suppose to work too, or so I've heard  :P

Disclaimer:

I'm a noob to this, so this is just what worked for me. Just wanted to make this to show everybody thinking about doing a vinyl mod that it's quite easy   :D

nice mod man :D !

Gaming Computer | Case: CM Storm Scout II | MB: Asus P8Z77-V LK | CPU: i5 2320@3,6ghz | GFX:  MSI GTX 770 Gaming | RAM: 8gb DDR3 @ 1333mhz | Storage: 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Monitor: 1x Asus VG248QE @ 144Hz , 1x Samsung SyncMaster SA300 @ 77hz OC'd 

Other Device's | Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE@OmniROM | Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1@OmniROM | Laptop: Lenovo ThinkPad T61 Win 8.1

That looks really good^^ Great job  :)

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Cool looks :) , but the plastic feeling would ruin it for me :(

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

Looks good! 

My Stuff! :D

My Stuff
  • Main Build - Soon to change due to it being dead
  • 4790k @ 4.7Ghz
  • Corsair 750D
  • Swiftech H320
  • MSI Z97s SLI
  • 7950 Vapor-X
  • 16GB Corsair Vengance  Blue LP 1600Mhz 
  • 120GB Samsung 840
  • 2TB Seagate Barracuda
  • Corsair HX750
  •  
  • ​Peripherals
  • Logitech G700s
  • Bitfenix, Corsair, and Darkside cable extensions
  • Das Professional with Cherry MX Brown's & Custom Keycaps
  • 3x ASUS VS238H-P w/ Triple monitor mount in PLP
  • AudioTechnica ATH-M50's 
  • Blue Yeti Microphone
  • TurtleBeach PX3 Wireless
  • Logitech C920 Webcam 
  • Precision Audio Bookshelf Speakers 
  • AudioSource AMP-100
  • Logitech G27 Racing setup
  •  
  • Laptop - Acer 7750G-9855
  • i7 2630QM
  • AMD 6650M GPU
  • 120GB Samsung 840 EVO
  • 8GB RAM
  • Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 
  • Blu-ray Drive
  •  
  • Netbook - HP Pavillion DM1
  • AMD E-450 APU
  • 4GB RAM
  • 500gb HDD
  • Cell Phone - OnePlus One 
  • 5.5-inch 1080p Screen
  • Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 processor @2.5Ghz
  • 13 Megapixel rear camera
  • 5 megapixel wide angle front facing camera
  • 3100 mAh non-removal battery
  • AC wifi
  • Cell Phone #2 - Nexus 5
  • 5 Inch 1080p Screen
  • Snapdragon 800
  • 8 megapixel rear camera
  • 1.3 megapixel front camera
  • 2300 mAh non-removable battery
  • AC wifi
  • Upgrades for 2014
  • GTX 970
  • i7 4690k
  • 16gb RAM 
  • 1x 1440 or 1600p Monitor 
  • Das Mechanical Keyboard

I wonder if you could do that same with key caps........................... Anyway, nice job! I dig it.

Worship the Lord GabeN for he is your one true god!!!!

The Lord's Prayer

Cool looks :) , but the plastic feeling would ruin it for me :(

fair point, but the keyboard felt palsticky even before the vinyl (imo) so I don't really notice much difference. feels a bit like the "soft touch" surfaces of mice, but with texture, if that makes any sense  :lol:

I wonder if you could do that same with key caps........................... Anyway, nice job! I dig it.

You know I was thinking the same thing, will gice it a shot, but I think higher quality vinyl would be preferable, since this cheap stuff doesn't stretch all that well, and a considerable amount of streatching is required to get it to fit on a keycap properly... will post when I get around to try it!  :)

You know I was thinking the same thing, will gice it a shot, but I think higher quality vinyl would be preferable, since this cheap stuff doesn't stretch all that well, and a considerable amount of streatching is required to get it to fit on a keycap properly... will post when I get around to try it!  :)

Awesome. Can't wait :)

Worship the Lord GabeN for he is your one true god!!!!

The Lord's Prayer

Looks nice. I worked with the material on my build and found it can be tricky in some places. For a "noob" great job looks sweet.

Carbon Fire ITX PCCPU: i7-4770K@3.8Ghz GPU: Asus GTX 660 Cpu Cooler Corsair H80i Mobo: Asus Maximnus VI Impact RAM: Corsair 16gb 1600MHz PSU: Corsair CX500 Modular SSD: 2x120gb HDD: Seagate 2TB Keyboard:Corsair K70 Mouse: Logitech G700  Case Modded Bitfenix Prodigy

Looks nice. I worked with the material on my build and found it can be tricky in some places. For a "noob" great job looks sweet.

thx!  :)  Anything in particular you found to be tricky? Intereted to know since I will be doing more of this stuff in the future  :)

thx!  :)  Anything in particular you found to be tricky? Intereted to know since I will be doing more of this stuff in the future  :)

Rounded corners with not much space to wrap around. 

post-31674-0-89237800-1396017729.jpg

That piece comes off so it needs to covered on two sides.

Carbon Fire ITX PCCPU: i7-4770K@3.8Ghz GPU: Asus GTX 660 Cpu Cooler Corsair H80i Mobo: Asus Maximnus VI Impact RAM: Corsair 16gb 1600MHz PSU: Corsair CX500 Modular SSD: 2x120gb HDD: Seagate 2TB Keyboard:Corsair K70 Mouse: Logitech G700  Case Modded Bitfenix Prodigy

Nice! Did you use a proper heatgun? Because I just used a hair dryer when applying the wrap to my Logitech G5.

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

Rounded corners with not much space to wrap around. 

attachicon.gifpost-31674-0-10066100-1392602542_thumb.jpg

That piece comes off so it needs to covered on two sides.

Ah, I see! Yeah I can imagine that being difficult. Btw sis you use "proper" 3M or just some cheapo-vinyl like me? Thinking that could be a place that if it gets snagged on something the vinyl could start to peel off, Noticed that the vinyl I used didn't seem to have the best adhesive in the world =) Btw, beast looking case! Had to go check out your thread =D Looks good enough to be factory made =)

Nice! Did you use a proper heatgun? Because I just used a hair dryer when applying the wrap to my Logitech G5.

Yup, used a heatgun, very carefully I might add, noticed the vinyl started to get "wavy" if I held the heatgun a split second to long over the place I was heating. Would consider trying a hairdryer next project to check out how it works =)

HOLY CRAP. Nice job bro!!!

Thx man!!   :)  Will have more vinyl projects coming up. After using it once, I noticed that it's soo much more easy to work with than paint (if you want a good finish), the chineese stuff is really cheap and world wide free shipping, deffinitely recommend giving it a try  :D

Ah, I see! Yeah I can imagine that being difficult. Btw sis you use "proper" 3M or just some cheapo-vinyl like me? Thinking that could be a place that if it gets snagged on something the vinyl could start to peel off, Noticed that the vinyl I used didn't seem to have the best adhesive in the world =) Btw, beast looking case! Had to go check out your thread =D Looks good enough to be factory made =)

I sued the cheap stuff. Yea noticed the same about the adhesiveness. Thanks.

I love seeing the words "how hard can it be".

Good job.

Nothing to see here - move along.