How to Clean a Mechanical Keyboard and why?

Source Here

Cleaning a keyboard is an easy task, especially when you have to clean mechanical keyboard, but takes a long time and that’s why we never really care about cleaning our keyboard and even if we Do, we just rub a cloth on the keys and that’s it.

Why cleaning keyboard is important?

Computer keyboards can have more harmful bacteria than a toilet seat and it has been claimed. Many users are at risk of becoming ill with stomach bugs, according to the consumer group Which? It warned that ‘qwerty tummy’, named after the first six letters on a keyboard, could sweep through workplaces after tests on equipment in its own London offices showed alarming results. One keyboard was so dirty that a microbiologist ordered it to be removed, quarantined and cleaned. It had 150 times the acceptable limit for bacteria and was five times as filthy as a typical lavatory seat. Anyone who eats a sandwich or a piece of fruit having been tapping on such a keyboard can pick up bacteria that could lead to a stomach upset. (Sourced from Dailymail check out to know more.)

So what you need to clean mechanical Keyboard?

To clean your keyboard, you will need a blower, cloth, water, bowl and key remover which must have come with your mechanical keyboard. Be careful with water, it can ruin your keyboard and handle your keyboard keys with care if anyone key will be lost then you will mess up the beauty of your keyboard.

Steps to clean Mechanical keyboard

First of all remove all the keys carefully, some keys have locks like the space-bar, shift, enter and some other keys which get pressed more forcefully than other keys so be careful when removing big keys.

MG_0332-1024x682.jpg

Simply put the key remover on keys and take out every key slowly, especially when dealing with the bigger key those will have some locks which can get damaged.

MG_0333-1024x682.jpg

Collect all the keys in one place don’t lose any key and after that put them all in a bowl with hot water and add a little bit of shampoo in it, this will remove all the oil and will soften the dust on them which will help you in easily cleaning them.

IMG_0337-1024x682.jpg

IMG_0338-1024x682.jpg

Till the time shampoo and warm water is loosening the dust and oil on your keys start cleaning your keyboard’s base.

MG_0340-1024x682.jpg

Seems like a lot of dust need to be removed.

IMG_0336-1024x682.jpg

When you clean it with a blower, brush and cloth start cleaning keys and putting them back on to your keyboard one by one. Make sure you dry the keys before putting them back and firstly put keys with hinges because it will become a headache latter to place them back to the keyboard. At the end you will feel have a glimpse of a brand new keyboard.

At last my keyboard is looking new you may not be able to see that in this picture, but believe me it’s looking really new.

MG_0358-1024x682.jpg

Watch this video by Paul’s Hardware. Every step is clearly shown and described.

Found this really good video today

Things to remember:

• Don’t lose any key. It will ruin your keyboard.
  • Don’t remove keys in haste.
  • Make sure to Clean each key separately and put it back on the keyboard. (This may take too long so take the help of your friend)
  • Don’t make haste when putting back keys, especially with hinges.

Do share this post and If you have any other Tips please do leave a comment section and let me know I would love to know more tips from you.

Source Here

considering how the keyboard is made you could use spray and cloth to clean the keys off, tho you still need to take them off to get to the dust and crap underneath 

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

repost ?

this was posted a few days ago

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

repost ?

this was posted a few days ago

clearly we never learn ;)

This is why we have such strong immune systems!

Also, still haven't cleaned mine.

I imagine my keyboard itself can give a deadly disease now if anyone but me touches it.

btw, part of those things on your keyboard is poop, and near all phones got poop on them aswell :P

but yes, its not actually dangerous if you aren't a disgusting person, but if many people use your stuff then i would clean them a lot, tho bacteria tends to die really fast on dry surfaces 

I really do need to clean my keyboard. It has been awhile.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Exact same dude posted the exact same thing it feels like?

Yes bro, i posted it, but then it got removed because it felt like an advertisement and therefore I posted it again after solving the issues.

Yes bro, i posted it, but then it got removed because it felt like an advertisement and therefore I posted it again after solving the issues.

Ah ok. Hopefully your good now.

IMG_0336.jpg

I'm going to have nightmares with this.

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

This is why I love the Corsair Vengeance K70. The keys are, themselves, elevated, so you can easily stick a q-tip or something in between them. I wouldn't, though; the cotton from them gets snagged on the keys. I do it only occasionally.

A lot of people like to dishwash their keyboards, which I tried once and it worked like a charm. Then I couldn't reassemble my Logitech G110 properly, so it was basically useless. At least one person I know just throws his keyboard whole in there.

Want to find parts in your budget? Logical Increments is the guide you need. | In the market for a headset? Read this thread. | If you're looking for headphones, please refer to this thread. | Stop being backhanded when offering advice.

CPU: Intel i7-3770K @ 3.5 GHz | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio OCK | Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LK | Memory: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LP (DDR3-1600) | GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition x 2 (Crossfire) | Storage: 120 GB Kingston SSDNow V300 SSD, 2 TB Toshiba HDD | PSU: Corsair TX850 V2 | Case: In-Win Mana 136 (Black)
Monitor: ASUS VS248H-P | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 (Cherry MX Brown) | Mouse: Logitech G500 | Speakers: Logitech X-140 | Headphones: Philips Fidelio X1, Sony MDR-X05 | Webcam: Logitech C510

This is why I love the Corsair Vengeance K70. The keys are, themselves, elevated, so you can easily stick a q-tip or something in between them. I wouldn't, though; the cotton from them gets snagged on the keys. I do it only occasionally.

A lot of people like to dishwash their keyboards, which I tried once and it worked like a charm. Then I couldn't reassemble my Logitech G110 properly, so it was basically useless. At least one person I know just throws his keyboard whole in there.

Did you seriously put your keyboard in a DISHWASHER?

not sure if serious or just trolling

Did you seriously put your keyboard in a DISHWASHER?

not sure if serious or just trolling

You mean to tell me you've never heard of people doing this?

Want to find parts in your budget? Logical Increments is the guide you need. | In the market for a headset? Read this thread. | If you're looking for headphones, please refer to this thread. | Stop being backhanded when offering advice.

CPU: Intel i7-3770K @ 3.5 GHz | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio OCK | Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LK | Memory: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LP (DDR3-1600) | GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition x 2 (Crossfire) | Storage: 120 GB Kingston SSDNow V300 SSD, 2 TB Toshiba HDD | PSU: Corsair TX850 V2 | Case: In-Win Mana 136 (Black)
Monitor: ASUS VS248H-P | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 (Cherry MX Brown) | Mouse: Logitech G500 | Speakers: Logitech X-140 | Headphones: Philips Fidelio X1, Sony MDR-X05 | Webcam: Logitech C510

How do people let their KBs get that dirty?!

Do you really expect anyone to do this fiddly process regularly? Yeah right. 

Once every 5 years probably. 

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

Do you really expect anyone to do this fiddly process regularly? Yeah right. 

Once every 5 years probably. 

I remove my keycaps and de-dust them every month or so...

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

I remove my keycaps and de-dust them every month or so...

Don't make me feel bad :( .

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Don't make me feel bad :( .

Er... uh... I mean I intentionally dump food into my keyboard and shine UV light to let the microorganisms fester!

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

Er... uh... I mean I intentionally dump food into my keyboard and shine UV light to let the microorganisms fester!

UV would kill them. But you made me laugh :D .

Spoiler

You mean to tell me you've never heard of people doing this?

what seriously!!! :o

are they water proof?

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

While I do agree that good hygiene practices are incredibly important, and loads of stuff gets under the keys on a keyboard, I'd find a better source than the Daily Mail; they're notorious for their far-fetched claims. Here's a list of things they claim to give you cancer: http://www.lazerhorse.org/2013/06/15/list-daily-mail-give-cancer/

Things like shaving, flip-flops and having a large head... not to mention "childlessness" and "children" are both cancer causers... It's a funny list, but the Mail is totally mad.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you, found this useful :)

CPU: FX-8320 @ 4.0GHz | Motherboard: ASRock 970 Extreme4 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB | GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950  | SSD: Kingston SSDNow 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU: OCZ 750W ATX12V | CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 EVO | Case: Corsair Carbide 300R | Display: BenQ RL2455HM 24"