3D printed skull for woman in the Netherlands

Source in Dutch: http://www.telegraaf.nl/gezondheid/22428645/__Schedel_vervangen_in_UMC__.html

UTRECHT- A 22 year old Dutch woman who suffers from an illness which makes her skullbone thicker just got an entirely new skull implanted. The surgery took 23 hours.

According to brain surgeon Bon Verweij the skull was almost 5 cm thick, which should be 1 to 1,5 cm. Because of this the brain had far greater pressure on it from the skull and thus lost her eyesight. Other crucial brain brain functions were in danger and thus the life of the patient too.

Verweij, along with jaw-surgeon Marvick Muradin and a medical team implanted a synthetic skull in the young woman's brain which was made by 3D printing.

Her eyesight returned and the brain is functioning normally again.

She is working again and it's like the surgery never even took place.

I translated this roughly from Dutch to English, but that's great!

Also note the name of the Jaw surgeon, awesome. Marvick Muradin.

This is it's video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXcz3OdHSHk

AND

fbd.jpg

They changed out her.. Skull!?. Oh my god. That is impressive on a whole new level  :mellow:

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

They changed out her.. Skull!?. Oh my god. That is impressive on a whole new level  :mellow:

Well I am not sure if it is her entire skull precisely. But they did change out the parts that cover her brain.

That is awesome, can she see now?

Yeah, forgot to put that part in.

Yes, eyesight returned.

Well I am not sure if it is her entire skull precisely. But they did change out the part that covers her brain.

Still incredibly impressive. 23 hours of surgery on someones head. And having the patient survive is jaw dropping.

"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Stuff like this is awesome. 

I don't want to ruin the feels in this thread, but wouldn't it be cool if they left the scalp off and she had a translucent skull, maybe throw in some L.E.Ds.

I don't want to ruin the feels in this thread, but wouldn't it be cool if they left the scalp off and she had a translucent skull, maybe throw in some L.E.Ds.

Yeah maybe.

But I guess she couldn't sleep well then.

Also watch the video, the skull is translucent of course. :P

nononono.. That's Absolutely repulsive.. She'd look just like my pc case.

Maybe WANshow material?

@LinusTech

That is awesome, can she see now?

Who knows, but we finally have images of her after surgery headshot.

red-skull-captain-america-winter-soldier

I am impelled not to squeak like a grateful and frightened mouse, but to roar...

Yeah, forgot to put that part in.

Yes, eyesight returned.

that right there is just incredible

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Skull part now added with additional ssd..

i9-9900K || MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC || Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super Gaming OC || 16GBCorsair Vengeance LPX 3200Mhz || Samsung EVO 970 Plus Samsung 850 EVO 2TB + Crucial BX100 500GB + 4TB HGST NAS || Factal Design Define Mini C TG || Corsair RM750x || Corsair H100i Pro RGB || Acer Predator XB271HU

Skull part now added with additional ssd..

More memory to remember names of people you vaguely know and met just once in your life.

brains look cool. I dont know about a live brain, but a dead brain feels super dense and like cheese. kind of squishy but if you squeeze too hard it might break apart. went to see the cadaver lab at UTMB were medical students get to dissect humans to get a hands on learning experience. 

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

That's awesome

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

oh yes. very science, bitch. this is amazing, so amazeballs. Now we have to see what more we can do with 3D printing.