Thoughts on the Moto 360

Ebenesh

Moto 360 : 

My original post: http://techalways.wordpress.com/2014/03/25/moto360/

moto-360-smartwatch-promo-screenshot-scr

What runs moto 360?

To kick things off, let’s see why the moto 360 exists and what it’s based on. Recently, Google releases their dedicated OS for wearables, obviously based on Android known an Android Wear.

reservation_animated.gif   The interface for the OS seems rather similar to that of Google now, their search assistant. And there isn’t much to complain there. The “card” interface which we have seen on phones has been nothing but clean and very adaptive to the particular individual using the device. The voice commands are also recognized fairly instantly and there aren’t many situations where we would think that we would be better of just doing all this the old way. Google now has been significantly useful.

So basically this goes without saying that the interface should be pretty good. Google has also introduced several additions to the “things Google now can do” list such as traffic updates powered by Waze, a company that Google acquired a few years ago and also music playback commands.

To add to this, Android wear will also include a few of the common applications that any typical smartwatch has in this day and age such as a something I like to call a “workout-o-meter”, which summarizes everything from distance u run, speed, heart rate, calories burnt, and the works.

The Developer preview gives us a peek of the features to expect in the final build such as,

• Receive Voice Replies

Add actions to your notifications to allow users to reply by voice or touch. The system delivers the text to your app on the phone.

• Add Notification Pages.

Add additional pages to your notification that are visible on the wearable device to provide detailed information on the wrist.

• Stack Multiple Notifications
    Your app should consolidate similar notifications. On a wearable, you can stack them together so the details for each are immediately available.

So that gives a pretty basic idea of what the Moto 360 is based on.

Okay, So why is this smartwatch special ? Why are people talking about it so much ? What does it have that makes people expect it’s arrival ?

The answer might seem stupid but the fact that this smartwatch is “round“is the reason for the aforementioned questioned. If u notice, all of the smartwatches on the market today are square, but that isn’t really what the classic watch was like. Motorola have taken an simply fascinating approach to taken the classic watch with it’s elegance and supreme sense of status and made it smart. Nothing else.

Introducing the Moto 360

silver_metal_600_0000.gifgray_leather_600_0000.gif

When we started to think about what we should do in terms of the design of the watch, we really went back in time,” explained Motorola’s Jim Wicks, head of consumer experience design. “This is all about reinvention of the modern day timepiece. We decided if we’re going to do the Moto 360, we’re going to do it round.”

Hear the design story of Moto 360, a modern timepiece, from the people who made it.

First smart watch I'd almost consider. They'll have to make sure the bands are changeable though.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

how are you reviewing something you dont own ..........

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

"thoughts "

It looks a little big to me. but Im not a fan of large watches though I probably haven't worn a watch for 10 years

i7 5820k, Asus X99 Pro, 16GB Muskin Blackline, EVGA GTX 980, Corsair Air 540, Samsung SM951 256GB M.2, Samsung 830 256GB, Seagate 3TB, Ducky shine 4 MX clear & brown, Logitech G700s, Asus PB278q

The guy wants to be Marques Brownlee, let him.

Want to find parts in your budget? Logical Increments is the guide you need. | In the market for a headset? Read this thread. | If you're looking for headphones, please refer to this thread. | Stop being backhanded when offering advice.

CPU: Intel i7-3770K @ 3.5 GHz | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio OCK | Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V LK | Memory: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LP (DDR3-1600) | GPU: MSI Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition x 2 (Crossfire) | Storage: 120 GB Kingston SSDNow V300 SSD, 2 TB Toshiba HDD | PSU: Corsair TX850 V2 | Case: In-Win Mana 136 (Black)
Monitor: ASUS VS248H-P | Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 (Cherry MX Brown) | Mouse: Logitech G500 | Speakers: Logitech X-140 | Headphones: Philips Fidelio X1, Sony MDR-X05 | Webcam: Logitech C510

As long as it has wireless charging, and Android Wear isnt a pile of poo i will be picking one up. It would be nice if it was sub $200 AU as well.

Also known to his peers as Lord Scrubby McScrubington

Smart watches aren't very cool.

From what I can tell you aren't gonna glimpse at your watch because the scene after you are going to definitely crash

http://pinoyscreencast.net/assets/2014/03/final3.jpg

http://injurylawcentral.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/bicycle-accident.jpg

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

My main concern with this one is the screen, for me a watch needs to be high-res and always-on, because I would want a smartwatch to be the exact same as a regular (albeit pricey) fashion watch but with the added 'smart' functionalities...

Also, any word on battery life and wireless charging? 5 Days is kind of a must.

Cooler Master 690 II Advanced - I5 2500K @ 4.5Ghz - Geil Enhance Plus 1750Mhz 8Gb - ASUS ENGTX 570 DCUII - MSI Z68aGD65 - Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B - Samsung 830 128gb and Crucial m4 128gb - much other stuff not worth mentioning

I WANT IT NOW!

• 3 weeks later...

Rumor is that they'll be using an always-on OLED display on the watch. 

Is anyone else worried about the potential for screen burn-in if this turns out to be true?

I want it!

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

I think this would be the first smartwatch that could catch the crowds, because of it's simple and common design. I also think the option of having a classic watch face would appeal to many who might want a sophisticated design with smartwatch functions

Smart watches aren't very cool.

From what I can tell you aren't gonna glimpse at your watch because the scene after you are going to definitely crash

http://pinoyscreencast.net/assets/2014/03/final3.jpg

http://injurylawcentral.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/bicycle-accident.jpg

If glancing down for a second makes you crash, you shouldn't ride bikes.

My main concern with this one is the screen, for me a watch needs to be high-res and always-on, because I would want a smartwatch to be the exact same as a regular (albeit pricey) fashion watch but with the added 'smart' functionalities...

Also, any word on battery life and wireless charging? 5 Days is kind of a must.

I totally agree with always on, but high resolution isn't really necessary. You're not playing games or anything on it.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

If glancing down for a second makes you crash, you shouldn't ride bikes.

I totally agree with always on, but high resolution isn't really necessary. You're not playing games or anything on it.

That's not what I'm getting at, I just dont want to see a blocky clock like there is on the pebble etc... 300 ppi would be just fine

Cooler Master 690 II Advanced - I5 2500K @ 4.5Ghz - Geil Enhance Plus 1750Mhz 8Gb - ASUS ENGTX 570 DCUII - MSI Z68aGD65 - Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B - Samsung 830 128gb and Crucial m4 128gb - much other stuff not worth mentioning

That's not what I'm getting at, I just dont want to see a blocky clock like there is on the pebble etc... 300 ppi would be just fine

It's funny, the Pebble isn't even that low. It has 138ppi. Which is higher than what you'll get on a Macbook or iPad Air. Higher resolution generally means lower battery life.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

It's funny, the Pebble isn't even that low. It has 138ppi. Which is higher than what you'll get on a Macbook or iPad Air. Higher resolution generally means lower battery life.

Yes, that is of course the downside... but I refuse to buy a smartwatch if it displays a blocky clock; that just kills it for me. Then again, that is just my opinion.

Yes, that is of course the downside... but I refuse to buy a smartwatch if it displays a blocky clock; that just kills it for me. Then again, that is just my opinion.

By the looks of it you get to choose...blocky is only one of many options.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

I'm pretty sure the iPad Air has a 264 ppi and the Macbooks have a 227 ppi display

My thoughts on smart watches: USE-LESS.

Spend the money on a beautiful, analogue timepiece that will last for 5 years on a single charge, and will look incredibly classy while never needing to be upgraded :)

My thoughts on smart watches: USE-LESS.

Spend the money on a beautiful, analogue timepiece that will last for 5 years on a single charge, and will look incredibly classy while never needing to be upgraded :)

IMO buying an analogue watch is a waste of money. I have something that tells me the time.

I mostly want a smart watch to control my music/podcasts as inline remote headphones that work with android is lacking. I really wish that android phone manufacturers could decide on a standard for that stuff.

i7 5820k, Asus X99 Pro, 16GB Muskin Blackline, EVGA GTX 980, Corsair Air 540, Samsung SM951 256GB M.2, Samsung 830 256GB, Seagate 3TB, Ducky shine 4 MX clear & brown, Logitech G700s, Asus PB278q

I want a company to make a good looking classic analog timepiece which has subtle smart watch integration. I don't want or need a touchscreen with quick replies and a heart rate monitor. I want something that will tell me when I get a notification, a social media update, an email or a phone call. Then I know I have a notification, in a meeting I can have my phone on silent and when I get out I know weather I have got a notification. I want something I can where around the office, not some cheap square watch (Pebble) but a thing of beauty and engineering!