If Steam didn't exist, would you still be a PC gamer?

DoubleY

I was a pc gamer way before steam and had a late adoption of steam.

I'd most likly buy more since back then games where complete when you brought them not broken

Its all about those volumetric clouds

Well,I do not consider myself a "PC gamer" because I would safely say I play most of the time on a PS3/WiiU as of now,but I was an exclusively PC gamer for over a decade,and I never used Steam during that decade,of course I do use it now.But I do not play that many games on PC anymore,so,I would have to say that if I was to be a exclusively PC gamer again then yes,if I could buy PC games in something other than 5 DVDs I would definitely still be a PC gamer without Steam,hell,if I could buy phisical games in less than 5DVDs now a days I would probably like to do that over Steam. 

In the early 2000s there was a lot of doomsday talk about how PC gaming is dying and that consoles are the future etc... it was almost accepted as an inevitability in many circles.

Steam seems to have reversed that. Now people still talk about how the overall PC industry is declining, but you will no longer find any credible source who can say that PC gaming is on the wane.

In a lot of ways Steam made PC gaming more similar to console gaming,for better or for worst,and at the same time the 7th generation of consoles made console gaming a lot more like PC gaming,again for better or for worst.

Would like to say... If PC gaming wasnt a thing... Gaming wont be a thing.

Technology wont be where it is now without the innovations computer games have brought.

You would have to be more specific about what you mean,keep in mind that before the IBM standar PC gaming was usually the worst way to play games,consoles usually ran games better and looked better,and videogame developers were focused on it for the most part,then again innovations have been made in all the platforms:consoles,PCs,handhelds,mobile phones,they have all seen a similar level of "innovations",tho of course that is usually not the platform,is the people with the idea that just happen to work on the platform that was more convinient to them at the time.

You could make your own program that could store shortcuts of all your installed games!

Or,you know,just create a folder and dump them all in there like kids used to do before! :P (hell,a lot of people I know still do that with the games they download ilegally). 

In a lot of ways Steam made PC gaming more similar to console gaming,for better or for worst,and at the same time the 7th generation of consoles made console gaming a lot more like PC gaming,again for better or for worst.

yep modern consoles are pretty much PCs which have been locked down.

I played games before steam existed so I imagine I'd still play if it never did exist.

CPU - 4790k / GPU - EVGA GTX 980 / Case - NCASE M1 v3 / Board - ASUS Impact VII  / PSU SFX 600w Silverstone / Storage - 2x500GB EVOs / Windows 8.1,OS X 10.10 / Full Water Loop