The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings (probably) getting ported to Linux

Humbug

I am glad that you and that one other guy that uses Linux will now be able to enjoy the game.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

I am glad that you and that one other guy that uses Linux will now be able to enjoy the game.

Thanks, that really means a lot..

Thanks, that really means a lot..

Well I am excited for you two. Seriously.

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Are Linux amd/nvidia drivers even good enough for the witcher 2.

Nvidia- yes

AMD- No

CPU: Intel i7 3970X @ 4.7 GHz  (custom loop)   RAM: Kingston 1866 MHz 32GB DDR3   GPU(s): 2x Gigabyte R9 290OC (custom loop)   Motherboard: Asus P9X79   

Case: Fractal Design R3    Cooling loop:  360 mm + 480 mm + 1080 mm,  tripple 5D Vario pump   Storage: 500 GB + 240 GB + 120 GB SSD,  Seagate 4 TB HDD

PSU: Corsair AX860i   Display(s): Asus PB278Q,  Asus VE247H   Input: QPad 5K,  Logitech G710+    Sound: uDAC3 + Philips Fidelio x2

HWBot: http://hwbot.org/user/tame/

I'm not talking about idealogical differences or who is easier to work with for Linus, I'm talking about raw gaming performance. Nvidia beats  AMD comfortably in Linux.

Who is the other guy? Just curious?

Nvidia- yes

AMD- No

They will improve over time but currently yes, Nvidia is a lot better and that is the reason why I am planning to buy a 750 Ti even though the 260x is cheaper.

There is a reason why torvalds said so.

In Linux there are two types of graphics drivers, first one is the open source that is included by default with the linux distros maintained by community and the other is the propietary drivers which are launched by AMD/Nvidia but since they are proprietary hence they cannot be included by default on Linux distros.

AMD's open source software is better than Nvidia because they contribute a lot to the community maintained drivers and hence there are no problems with the default drivers of AMD. Nvidia on the other hand rarely contributes to the open source drivers and they are never willing to share their code as openly like AMD does therefore many things with Nvidia's Open Source drivers are not up to par and many features like Multi Monitor support is a little pain in the ass with Open Source drivers.

As for proprietary drivers, Nvidia's Proprietary drivers are significantly ahead of the AMD drivers in performance. AMD is still catching up at Linux support but it is currently giving Linux a lot of attention because of Valve and various game engines getting Linux support by every passing day.

The future for gaming on Linux looks bright. I don't see myself switching to Windows unless I really wanted to. Linux does things better for me so all the developent in Linux Gaming is of course welcomed by us Linux users.

We gotta love Torvalds.

Signatures are stupid.

I wish they would put this effort in to the witcher 3 instead of porting an old title to linux.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|