DX12 May Actually Be Mantle Renamed.

There is mounting evidence that Microsoft actually may have adopted Mantle and is shaping it into the next iteration of DX, i.e. DX12.

Semiaccurate recently posted an article where they flat out say that Microsoft is merely adopting Mantle and is calling it DX12.
Their rationale is intimately tied to the XBOXONE's deficits compared to the PS4 both in hardware performance and sales.
And they believe that this is Microsoft's attempt to tie its console platform to the PC in hopes of saving it.

Other websites are flirting around the edges of the same idea, Extremetech for example has mentioned a few facts that support this as well.

As some of you may recall, an AMD executive publicly stated a year ago that there was no “DirectX 12″ on the Microsoft roadmap. Microsoft responded to those comments by affirming that it remained committed to evolving the DirectX standard — and then said nothing more on the topic. Then AMD launched Mantle, with significant support from multiple developers and a bevy of games launching this year — and apparently someone at Microsoft decided to pay attention.

We’ve spoken to several sources with additional information on the topic who have told us that Microsoft’s interest in developing a new API is a recent phenomenon, and that the new DirectX (likely DirectX 12) will substantially duplicate the capabilities of AMD’s Mantle.

And there is the fact that AMD has been recently tweeting about GDC sessions involving the "next Direct3D".
Now why would AMD advertise for a "competing" API, the answer is that they're actually not.

Most of this is conjecture at this point in time but all will come to light in the upcoming few days in Microsoft's upcoming DX session at GDC.

The adoption of Mantle by Microsoft brings both positives and negatives.

The obvious & immediate being an industry standard low level API for all parties to use but you'd also expect Microsoft to pull their usual corporate nonsense and only release the new DX with future Windows iterations.

This also means that Mantle might never migrate into the Linux environment.

What are your thoughts on Microsoft adopting Mantle ? I can see the immediate short-term benefits but I can't really see if any long-term benefits exist since I firmly believe that Linux is the gaming platform of the future.

I figured as much? What else could Microsoft have done to revamp DX? Although I think this means that all DirectX 11.x cards should automatically support 12.

Although I think this means that all DirectX 11.x cards should automatically support 12.

Yay.

Yes sorry amd fanboys but now everyone can have mantle :)

Please, that was uncalled for.

If Microsoft adopts Mantle this basically means that AMD has struck gold.

Contrary to what you may believe having its own hardware optimized API be the industry standard will benefit AMD the most and not the other way around.

The end result is what AMD always wanted. An API that can better take advantage of its hardware. Better performance = better market share. Whether its Mantle of DX12, it wont matter. As Linux becomes more popular with the rise of SteamOS, AMD who have been alot better than nVidia in pushing out Linux drivers, will push the industry into that direction with or without Microsoft.  The fact that AMD's drivers are open source will allow this transition to occur alot smoother than the competition. AMD's console wins just might transform into something a whole lot more interesting—and possibly something a whole lot more meaningful for SteamOS, if AMD can truly deliver far superior performance to OpenGLand convince developers to actually use Mantle.

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.7Ghz when gaming | MSI 990FXA-GD80 v2 | Swiftech H220 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7950  +  XFX Radeon 7950 | 8 Gigs of Crucial Ballistix Tracers | 140 GB Raptor X | 1 TB WD Blue | 250 GB Samsung Pro SSD | 120 GB Samsung SSD | 750 Watt Antec HCG PSU | Corsair C70 Mil Green

if this is true it will be a double win. 1) everyone gets a mantle-like API    2) Microsoft is trying the Xbox to PC = more focus on PC?!

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

Microsoft is famous for stealing other peoples' ideas. This doesn't seem too different.

Come on Microsoft wheres the innovation? Welp... nothing wrong with mantle if it happens to be that. 

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

I figured as much? What else could Microsoft have done to revamp DX? Although I think this means that all DirectX 11.x cards should automatically support 12.

I was going to suggest that they could have you know, coded and developed shit themselves but I couldn't in good conscience finish that sentence with a straight face  :D

-------

Current Rig

-------

if this is true it will be a double win. 1) everyone gets a mantle-like API    2) Microsoft is trying the Xbox to PC = more focus on PC?!

You mean like they attempted half-assedly with Games for Windows Live? Yes it's likely to happen but I wouldn't call it a "double win".

-------

Current Rig

-------

I was going to suggest that they could have you know, coded and developed shit themselves but I couldn't in good conscience finish that sentence with a straight face  :D

The idea of offloading cpu workloads to a gpu isn't revolutionary in coding terms. And two programmers can probably come to the same solution even without asking each other what they're doing.

The idea of offloading cpu workloads to a gpu isn't revolutionary in coding terms. And two programmers can probably come to the same solution even without asking each other what they're doing.

The idea of Microsoft giving enough of a shit to bother hiring 2 outsourced coders to make it happens is revolutionary for them. In fact they wouldn't care at all if they weren't affraid of Valve cutting into their xbox one market if successful with their Linux adventure, but other than that we're talking about a company that abandoned PC interests long ago and decided to become a stupid "me too" company with mobile phones just like they decided to become a stupid "me too" company when they built a console and abandoned PC gaming years ago.

-------

Current Rig

-------

TBH I'd rather have Khronos be the one who adopts mantle and renames into a new opengl version. B/c they would be less likely to be doing any corporate nonsense due to the fact that they would having no internal or external motives to hamper the progress the pc industry in order force people to certain OS.

I guess my main problem with M$ being the dominate api vendor is that M$ is a company with alot of internal motives to hamper the process of the pc industry, xbox and windows.

CPU amd phenom ii x4 965 @ 3.4Ghz | Motherboard msi 970a-g46 | RAM 2x 4GB Team Elite | GPU XFX Radeon HD 7870 DD | Case NZXT Gamma Classic | HDD 750 GB Hitachi | PSU ocz modxstream pro 600w

TIL: The X in xbox stands for direct x box. 

=> Mantle Box.

I dont think i trust microsoft much to make a good api. Do they even care about the pc anymore?

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

I hope it is. It would really suck for devs to have to develop for several API's(DX12, Mantle,OpenGL). And of NVidia fully supports it, it'll be even better

Never trust a hug. Its just a way to hide your face - The Doctor (Sounds something like the grumpy cat would say)

TBH I'd rather have Khronos be the one who adopts mantle and renames into a new opengl version. B/c they would be less likely to be doing any corporate nonsense due to the fact that they would having no internal or external motives to hamper the progress the pc industry in order force people to certain OS.

I guess my main problem with M$ being the dominate api vendor is that M$ is a company with alot of internal motives to hamper the process of the pc industry, xbox and windows.

^This.  There is no doubt in my mind that Microsoft is going to do all the proprietary bullshit that they can if this ends up happening.  What we really need is a single API master race that works on all platforms.

Please, that was uncalled for.

If Microsoft adopts Mantle this basically means that AMD has struck gold.

Contrary to what you may believe having its own hardware optimized API be the industry standard will benefit AMD the most and not the other way around.

I think it was as basically everyone who suggests an amd card says but mantle etc and its really annoying im not saying what they did was great for moving forward nor am i either fanboy as i my first gpu was amd but maybe they could of taken a different approach like getting in touch with microsoft and making dx12 mantle in the first place also me having a nvidia card at this point in time i do wish i have mantle and now it looks like i will.

Here's another thought: You really think Mantle = DirectX would sit well with Nvidia? Like it or not they're on a stronger position and if Microsoft blatantly favours their competitor they might very well reply with a "Well fuck you too, we're going with SteamOS" and arguably Valve is in a better position when it comes to PC gaming than Microsoft is at this time.

-------

Current Rig

-------

And there is the fact that AMD has been recently tweeting about GDC sessions involving the "next Direct3D".

Now why would AMD advertise for a "competing" API, the answer is that they're actually not.

Most of this is conjecture at this point in time but all will come to light in the upcoming few days in Microsoft's upcoming DX session at GDC.

The adoption of Mantle by Microsoft brings both positives and negatives.

Mantle and Directx are not competing API's. Both AMD and Nvidia support Directx: so whatever Microsoft puts inside Directx will be available to AMD.

•  i7 4770k @ 4.5ghz • Noctua NHL12 •  Asrock Z87 Extreme 4 •  ASUS GTX 780 DCII 1156/6300 •

•  Kingston HyperX 16GB  •  Samsung 840 SSD 120GB [boot] + 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM •

•  Fractal Design Define R4  •  Corsair AX860 80+ Platinum •  Logitech Wireless Y-RK49  •  Logitech X-530  •

All I see is conjecture, assumptions and a few rather long drawn bows.   In all likelihood mantle and DX12 will look and operate very similar, but that doesn't mean one is the other. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Yes sorry amd fanboys but now everyone can have mantle :)

not cool man

i like mantle for what it is and what it brings to the table and im not a fanboy of anything

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.