Loramentum - A watercooled, wall mounted rig - Fan and lighting upgrade! 27/01/17

Maki Role

I kinda feel bad for @Maki Role Cause we are spamming his logs so much :D

Then again we would do anything for the cat overlords.

One quick question, what inspired your name?

• 5 weeks later...

Since I've been receiving messages from various people I thought I'd mention that Loramentum has been featured in the June issue of Custom PC magazine! A huge thank you to Antony for providing this opportunity, first time I've ever been featured in ink before :D

Finished Projects: Loramentum, VesperModerne, ExsectusAetos

Current Project: Parvum Argentum

• 4 weeks later...

So today I come with big news and a big request.

First up, let's get the request out of the way shall we?

As some of you may know, voting began a few days ago for the Cooler Master World Series modding competition. Some of you may also know that every year this competition turns into a massive popularity contest, thankfully moderated by a panel of judges. However, the votes are still vitally important, and this is where you come in. Please, please pop by and lend a vote for this mod if you enjoyed the log. This week is likely to be the last hurrah for Loramentum as now it has begun its (hopefully) long life as a functional PC, maybe popping to a LAN or two.

The voting page can be found here:
http://woobox.com/bpkyfp/vote?web=1

I'm going to need every vote you can muster, this competition is wide reaching and you can bet your bottom dollar that people are promoting their builds like mad. If you want Loramentum to gain a placing, then please show your support there also. More than 300 people followed this project on LTT, that's insane, you've been a blast to talk to and I loved the journey of getting to know you.

But I don't want to be unfair to you all either, so I figured now would be a good time to let the cat out of the bag on what's in store for the future to an extent:

Argentum - The Sequel to Loramentum!

So shortly after completing Loramentum, Justin of Parvum Systems contacted me with a very interesting proposal.  To make a sequel to Loramentum, but with balls to the wall crazy hardware and an all new design.  How could I resist?

Here are the current proposed specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7 5960x

Motherboard: Asus X99-E WS

RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4

Power Supply: Superflower Leadex Platinum 2000W 8-Pack Edition (!)

Graphics: 4x Nvidia GTX Titan X (yes, that does say 4x)

Storage: TBD

As you can see, this is going to be ridiculous spec-wise, hopefully the build will be able to match also!

As the name would suggest, whilst Loramentum was gold, Argentum will be silver.  As for the design, well, you'll have to wait and see ;)

Argentum - The Sequel to Loramentum!

So shortly after completing Loramentum, Justin of Parvum Systems contacted me with a very interesting proposal.  To make a sequel to Loramentum, but with balls to the wall crazy hardware and an all new design.  How could I resist?

Please tag me when this is happening, thank you :D

Also I voted for you

It's not a bug, it's an undocumented feature!

Can't wait

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Thanks guys!

Going to need every single vote available if we're ever to catch up with the current leader at 580:

Being Honest, I dont even really like his build ( as in the leaders), yours on the other hand is like build of the decade. 

I loved seeing your build in CustomPC, loved the pictures and the interview.

One question, I am planning to build a really epic pc next year, mainly to be featured on my youtube channel,

So my question is, how do you get sponsors, were you just lucky and they approached you?

Thanks!

Edit: Please Tag me on the new build :)

Being Honest, I dont even really like his build ( as in the leaders), yours on the other hand is like build of the decade. 

I loved seeing your build in CustomPC, loved the pictures and the interview.

One question, I am planning to build a really epic pc next year, mainly to be featured on my youtube channel,

So my question is, how do you get sponsors, were you just lucky and they approached you?

Thanks!

Edit: Please Tag me on the new build :)

I'll be sure to tag you when the next build log is up, won't be for a while though as there's an awful lot of planning needed. :)

As for sponsorship, it's basically a point of patience, consistency and going about asking.  If you look at many of the heavily sponsored builders (like BNeg, Snef, MetallicAcid etc.) they've been churning out great looking rigs for quite a while now, with striking consistency.  That basically makes them safe bet for potential sponsors, they know they're going to complete a build to a high standard, get publicity and features along with actually completing the builds as advertised.  When starting out it's that lack of background that makes getting sponsors tough.  I had to finance my first major build entirely from my own pocket, which let me tell you meant a lot of ramen rofl.  I struck lucky on my next one as the hardware was provided as part of the competition, but I needed that previous mod to enter it.  Winning that competition paved the way for Loramentum as Intel had already provided the CPU, I was also a known entity, meaning EK was willing to lend their support.  After completing Loramentum, things just sort of took off of their own accord.

So my advice would be check out some of the smaller companies who may be willing to make a smaller bet.  Things like some sleeving, fans, LED strips, vinyl etc. are good places to start.  Also show how you're willing to invest your own cash into a project and aren't simply after free parts.  A lot of people enter with that attitude and it gets you nowhere.  Once you have one or two sponsors on board, the bigger players will be more comfortable with taking a larger punt.  Also, don't give up when asking about sponsorship.  EK flat out refused my first project, but I went back to them later on armed with more builds and experience and they were happy to help out.  You may get a lot of refusals, or even be ignored, it happens even to the best guys out there.  Remember that many of these companies receive tonnes of requests daily, sometimes luck just won't be in your favour.

Isntasub ;D

HYPE!

I'm looking forward to the new build!

It's going to be quite a ride, expect lots of things that haven't really been done together ;)

HYPE!

You had my curiosity now u have my attention

leonardo-dicaprio-as-calvin-candie-in-dj

The Y.E.T.I. is in progress?Whaaat? (modding aproach&build log)->http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/355618-project-yeti-first-build/

[READ THE COC BEFORE POSTING][Check twice cut once][NZXT rules:D][Dremel is Love Dremel is Life][COOKIES ARE GREAT][LOGIC]

I'll be sure to tag you when the next build log is up, won't be for a while though as there's an awful lot of planning needed. :)

As for sponsorship, it's basically a point of patience, consistency and going about asking.  If you look at many of the heavily sponsored builders (like BNeg, Snef, MetallicAcid etc.) they've been churning out great looking rigs for quite a while now, with striking consistency.  That basically makes them safe bet for potential sponsors, they know they're going to complete a build to a high standard, get publicity and features along with actually completing the builds as advertised.  When starting out it's that lack of background that makes getting sponsors tough.  I had to finance my first major build entirely from my own pocket, which let me tell you meant a lot of ramen rofl.  I struck lucky on my next one as the hardware was provided as part of the competition, but I needed that previous mod to enter it.  Winning that competition paved the way for Loramentum as Intel had already provided the CPU, I was also a known entity, meaning EK was willing to lend their support.  After completing Loramentum, things just sort of took off of their own accord.

So my advice would be check out some of the smaller companies who may be willing to make a smaller bet.  Things like some sleeving, fans, LED strips, vinyl etc. are good places to start.  Also show how you're willing to invest your own cash into a project and aren't simply after free parts.  A lot of people enter with that attitude and it gets you nowhere.  Once you have one or two sponsors on board, the bigger players will be more comfortable with taking a larger punt.  Also, don't give up when asking about sponsorship.  EK flat out refused my first project, but I went back to them later on armed with more builds and experience and they were happy to help out.  You may get a lot of refusals, or even be ignored, it happens even to the best guys out there.  Remember that many of these companies receive tonnes of requests daily, sometimes luck just won't be in your favour.

I guess being featured on CustomPC helps ;)

I hope my YouTube channel pays off :)

• 2 months later...

Just thought I'd give everyone a heads up that the thread for the sequel "Parvum Argentum" is now up! starwarsguy99

You can find it here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/413291-project-parvum-argentum-by-maki-role-the-high-power-sequel-to-loramentum/

Just thought I'd give everyone a heads up that the thread for the sequel "Parvum Argentum" is now up! starwarsguy99

You can find it here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/413291-project-parvum-argentum-by-maki-role-the-high-power-sequel-to-loramentum/

mmmm silver

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

Looking forward to the completed build. Thanks for tagging me or I would have never seen the new masterpiece!

• 1 year later...
21 minutes ago, Goldmaster said:

do you have the blue prints for the cnc milled sheets how did you assemble it all and why did you not go with a slim case like a lian li pc05

case isn't good enough for this. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

On 13/09/2016 at 8:48 PM, Goldmaster said:

do you have the blue prints for the cnc milled sheets how did you assemble it all and why did you not go with a slim case like a lian li pc05

Well aside from the fact this build was started almost a year before that case hit the market, I wanted to do something different.  Anybody can build in a case, you know?

• 4 months later...

I do believe it's about time this rig had a little bit of an update eh?

Out with the old and in with the new, fan and SSD upgrade.  Stepped up to a 2TB 850 Evo and some shiny Thermaltake Premium Riing 120 RGB fans.  I must admit I really do like they lighting they provide, fits the theme just right IMO.  

DSC_0254_1.jpg

DSC_0262.jpg

DSC_0265.jpg

DSC_0266.jpg

DSC_0271.jpg

DSC_0274.jpg

nice to see it's still kicking around.

very pretty. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

6 hours ago, DildorTheDecent said:

nice to see it's still kicking around.

very pretty. 

Oh yeah plenty of life left in this baby, it's been quite the trooper.  Been carted up and down the country by train upwards of 20 times!

• 2 weeks later...

love the build!!! :) how did you get the coolant cooler?