Loramentum - A watercooled, wall mounted rig - Fan and lighting upgrade! 27/01/17

Maki Role

Well as a heads up, I managed to get the first few holes drilled and tapped after I got back from work (had to go in anyway, would have preferred my original plan).  The two main sections now fit neatly together, I'll be adding the next 30 or so holes tomorrow hopefully, and maybe working on making the o-rings.  I've also ordered some flexi tubing so I can leak test the whole thing (as in the water channels really, much easier to do that without the hardware installed), turns out I have enough spare fittings from old builds now that I can just build a makeshift loop without having to use the new ones.

Finished Projects: Loramentum, VesperModerne, ExsectusAetos

Current Project: Parvum Argentum

I Use CAD programs allot and im most taken back by your prototype rendering. major props there. the computer itself though will be great.

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

I Use CAD programs allot and im most taken back by your prototype rendering. major props there. the computer itself though will be great.

Cheers man!  I was actually quite surprised with how easy the models were to make.  I have a decent amount of experience with packages like Blender and Maya, but next to none with proper CAD programs.  I had done a bit of stuff with AutoCAD at uni, but they kept it very basic so people with no prior experience could pick it up easily.  These were my first models using Autodesk Inventor, I was blown away with how easy it was to use and learn (well, for this kind of work anyway), I've since moved onto Solidworks though as it's more forgiving in terms of file types (had issues importing some work made by a friend, worked perfectly with Solidworks).  As for rendering, Cycles in Blender is very capable and simple to use, but with the caveat being you need a strong machine.  Because it has a live render setting, it makes building realistic materials a doddle as you can see everything you're changing within the scene in real time.  That kind of functionality is simply so great for a 3D workflow as there's no wasted time with the back and forth between test renders etc.

Cheers man!  I was actually quite surprised with how easy the models were to make.  I have a decent amount of experience with packages like Blender and Maya, but next to none with proper CAD programs.  I had done a bit of stuff with AutoCAD at uni, but they kept it very basic so people with no prior experience could pick it up easily.  These were my first models using Autodesk Inventor, I was blown away with how easy it was to use and learn (well, for this kind of work anyway), I've since moved onto Solidworks though as it's more forgiving in terms of file types (had issues importing some work made by a friend, worked perfectly with Solidworks).  As for rendering, Cycles in Blender is very capable and simple to use, but with the caveat being you need a strong machine.  Because it has a live render setting, it makes building realistic materials a doddle as you can see everything you're changing within the scene in real time.  That kind of functionality is simply so great for a 3D workflow as there's no wasted time with the back and forth between test renders etc.

Ive been using Inventor since 7th grade in my school and still am as a senior. We started with simple boxes and shapes and now im designing an excavator. I had never heard of blender until this post but am certainly interested. Does the rendering draw more from the cpu or gpu?

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

Ive been using Inventor since 7th grade in my school and still am as a senior. We started with simple boxes and shapes and now im designing an excavator. I had never heard of blender until this post but am certainly interested. Does the rendering draw more from the cpu or gpu?

It depends what mode you use really, live render (and the final render engine too) can use the CPU only or use CUDA acceleration (OpenCL support hasn't really worked so far so Nvidia only unfortunately).  When in GPU accelerated mode it's very quick indeed and only uses the CPU for the actual building of the scene itself, the rest is handled by the GPUs.  I use a couple Titans for render work thanks to their large compute performance and 6GB of VRAM, certainly helps a lot to have large enough reserves.  Just make sure you're comfortable with using a node-based interface as that's where Cycles thrives.

Another build that matches the ASUS gold color scheme, very impressive! All the shiny gold components made the whole build very classy. I envied your colour scheme made me wanna change my orange and black theme.

subbed, oh how I subbed...

Thanks!

Another build that matches the ASUS gold color scheme, very impressive! All the shiny gold components made the whole build very classy. I envied your colour scheme made me wanna change my orange and black theme.

Nooo!  Black and orange is awesome, not to mention you can do some seriously cool stuff if you start combining things like orange cable highlights, fan blades and then Monsoon fittings or coolant if watercooling.  I'm really glad orange is getting so much focus recently, it can look fantastic if done right.

UPDATE!

Received a whole bunch of stuff in the mail today.  Most of it is relating to the cables, but there are a few fittings and other accessories in there too.  Had the chance to take some photos at work today, we have an old projector screen packed up in the basement that I've been using as a makeshift lightbox, works really well in my opinion.  If anybody wants to pick up something quick and easy for taking studio shots of their work, hit up the bay and look for those, they can often be had for cheap (as in 15-35 quid) so it's definitely worth it.

O-ring cord, very useful for custom sized gaskets.

xfqd.jpg

16 AWG Black wire, have white as well but didn't bother photoing it.  Should make cable management a blissful experience.

dkjg.jpg

100m of MDPC-X sleeving, won't need anything like that, but 100m was pretty reasonably priced and black is a useful colour to have in the cupboard.

qgxw.jpg

dl7y.jpg

30m of Vanilla Sands MDPC-X, should suit the theme nicely.  I like also how it's not a lurid colour, the black should help it to stand out well.

8fee.jpg

eo1o.jpg

Always nice to receive the little samples with the packages from Nils

n916.jpg

Ooh what's this then?

15j1.jpg

Very solid feeling crimping tool, like the black look too.

zpyq.jpg

u2hu.jpg

Again I won't really need this many, but it doesn't hurt to have spares for the future.

79d5.jpg

Bitspower D-Plug fitting, this will allow me to add the GPU to the loop nice and easily.

ev8d.jpg

Spacers and stop plugs

6gxr.jpg

That's all for now folks!  Hopefully I'll be able to grab some time tomorrow to make the actual o-rings themselves, plus get some of the larger holes drilled and tapped.

Very cool.

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715

Cheers man. Turns out I did manage to find the time yesterday to "finish" the main structure, who'd have figured having 50-60 threaded holes takes a while...

It was too dark to take some photos last night though (really need the light given the piece is clear). I'm hoping it'll be bright enough when I get back tonight, I should really pick up one of those projector screens for home actually, sadly the office one needs to stay in the office.

giphy.gif

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

This is awesome!

Thanks!

giphy.gif

michael-jordan-lol.gif

Some more progress everybody!

Finally had the time to get the major holes drilled for the fittings.  I was terrified of doing this as it can so easily go wrong, plus I only have one chance to get it right.  Turns out my fears were justified too...

dmzb.jpg

One sexy card
jtg9.jpg

Came out well
a8dy.jpg

Sh**, this is what I was afraid of.  The bit randomly caught on a part of the third hole, ripped the top out.  Luckily, of all the parts for this to happen, this was the best.  It's situated under the GPU connector, so it won't be seen.  As such I've managed to find a simple way of fixing it.  I'll post the picture of the fix tomorrow, it looks okay, but as it won't be seen anyway, I'm not worried.

b1l2.jpg

Love dat water block.

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715

I NEED MOAR

Then I shall provide MOAR!  Sadly it was a little too late to take pictures tonight, I'll take some tomorrow.  I can provide you with a shoddy phone pic though as a teaser:

c87l.jpg

bitm.jpg

Love dat water block.

I'm such a fan of their new designs, so sleek and elegant.  Whilst I didn't actually mind their CSQ design much, this is much better IMO.

Then I shall provide MOAR!  Sadly it was a little too late to take pictures tonight, I'll take some tomorrow.  I can provide you with a shoddy phone pic though as a teaser:

I'm such a fan of their new designs, so sleek and elegant.  Whilst I didn't actually mind their CSQ design much, this is much better IMO.

I'm currently fapping (to the pc of course... 

Looking sweet. Can't wait for more updates.

Carbon Fire ITX PCCPU: i7-4770K@3.8Ghz GPU: Asus GTX 660 Cpu Cooler Corsair H80i Mobo: Asus Maximnus VI Impact RAM: Corsair 16gb 1600MHz PSU: Corsair CX500 Modular SSD: 2x120gb HDD: Seagate 2TB Keyboard:Corsair K70 Mouse: Logitech G700  Case Modded Bitfenix Prodigy

Very nice.

Shouldn't the GPU be facing the other way?

Or you will need a really long riser.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

I remember seeing these renderings a while back - so glad you could finally start building. It looks great so far.

Shouldn't the GPU be facing the other way?

Or you will need a really long riser.

If you looked at the 3d Render, he is going to use a long riser

83ONJ.jpg

If you looked at the 3d Render, he is going to use a long riser

83ONJ.jpg

Ah OK. I hope he makes the GPU gold like in the render.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Bloody internet. Double post -_-

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

I dont think you stated it (or not that I can find) but what sort of paint are your using/how are you gold plating everything. Also did you ever think of going with gold straight tubing but of the metal sort so it could be gold plated aswell?

Oh that would look good!!!