Thoughts on PS Vita/ Vita Slim?

Ps_domingo

I'm not really a huge gamer. I play an average of around 20 hours a week on my PC. 

I have a Razer Edge (won it on a  contest, THANKS RAZER) but its too HUGE and bulky. 

I kinda travel a lot and the usual contents of my bag is my series 5 Samsung Ultrabook, the Razer Edge and the Razer Sabertooth, Marshal Majors headphones. This set-up usually lasts me around 4-5 hours unplugged. 

I wanna add a PS vita to this mix. I used to have a second gen iPad but I gave it to someone and since then I dont really have a "mobile" platform to play on. 

Thoughts on the VIta? Pros and Cons? Yeay or nay? 

CPU: i5 -2400 Cooler: Noctua NH-L12 Mobo: Fatal1ty Z68 Pro Gen3 Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz SSD: Samsung 840 120gb HDD: WD 3TB Green, Seagate Barracuda 1TB GPU: Asus GTX 760 Direct CU II (future SLI) Sound card: Xonar Phoebus PSU: Corsair RM series 750 watts Case: Aerocool Mechatron Fans: Bit Fenix Spectre Pros
Monitor:Samsung SyncMaster SA950, Philips Blade 234CLSpeakers: Logitech z506 Headset: Razer Tiamat 7.1 KB: Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth edition Mouse: Ouroburos Mouse pad: Golaithus Extended Speed edition Gamepad: Orbweaver Controllers: Wireless Xbox 360 Controller, Razer Hydra 
System: Razer Edge Mouse: Razer Orochi Mouse pad: Razer Vespula Controlers: Razer Sabertooth (2 pcs.) Headset: Razer Blackshark Speakers: Razer Ferox What can I say, I'm a huge fan of Razer.  :D

the psvita is a great gaming platform great grafix but not the best lots of titles that you can enjoy if you want to then go ahead just but a good case to cover the screen and buttons and/or buy something to protect the analogs or why not get a nvidia sheald its your choice psvita (more games) or nvidia sheald (more powerful) i have a psvita so trust me

the psvita is a great gaming platform great grafix but not the best lots of titles that you can enjoy if you want to then go ahead just but a good case to cover the screen and buttons and/or buy something to protect the analogs or why not get a nvidia sheald its your choice psvita (more games) or nvidia sheald (more powerful) i have a psvita so trust me

I love the shield but I fear that it's way to early to adapt. Internet speeds here in the Philippines isn't quite as advance to enable Nvidia Grid Usage and Game stream at home relies on the Hardware of my PC as well. The in home streaming things might be nice but I'd prefer to sit in front of the PC since I dont really spend time around the house as my PC is literally at the end of my bed. 

My question for you (how do I tag people? :| )@tank12up is hows the battery life and over all durability of the device? 

CPU: i5 -2400 Cooler: Noctua NH-L12 Mobo: Fatal1ty Z68 Pro Gen3 Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz SSD: Samsung 840 120gb HDD: WD 3TB Green, Seagate Barracuda 1TB GPU: Asus GTX 760 Direct CU II (future SLI) Sound card: Xonar Phoebus PSU: Corsair RM series 750 watts Case: Aerocool Mechatron Fans: Bit Fenix Spectre Pros
Monitor:Samsung SyncMaster SA950, Philips Blade 234CLSpeakers: Logitech z506 Headset: Razer Tiamat 7.1 KB: Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth edition Mouse: Ouroburos Mouse pad: Golaithus Extended Speed edition Gamepad: Orbweaver Controllers: Wireless Xbox 360 Controller, Razer Hydra 
System: Razer Edge Mouse: Razer Orochi Mouse pad: Razer Vespula Controlers: Razer Sabertooth (2 pcs.) Headset: Razer Blackshark Speakers: Razer Ferox What can I say, I'm a huge fan of Razer.  :D

PS vita has one of the best screens I have ever seen on a portable device.
The games looks great.
I only have issues with battery life and the memory cards, would have been better if it used Micro SD cards.

CORSAIR RIPPER: AMD 3970X - 3080TI & 2080TI - 64GB Ram - 2.5TB NVME SSD's - 35" G-Sync 120hz 1440P
MFB (Mining/Folding/Boinc): AMD 1600 - 3080 & 1080Ti - 16GB Ram - 240GB SSD
Dell OPTIPLEX:  Intel i5 6500 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD

PC & CONSOLE GAMER

The games looks great.

I only have issues with battery life and the memory cards, would have been better if it used Micro SD cards.

How long does the battery lasts? 

I like the Vita, and I think that the system itself has a lot of potential, but having one myself I find there are few games that take full advantage of that. One of the things that really grind my gears is that it's got this fairly nice resolution screen of which nearly no games fully utilize. What ends up happening is the game actually uses like half the pixels and has to be upscaled which I find to be horrid.

How long does the battery lasts? 

I get about 5-6 hours.

CORSAIR RIPPER: AMD 3970X - 3080TI & 2080TI - 64GB Ram - 2.5TB NVME SSD's - 35" G-Sync 120hz 1440P

PC & CONSOLE GAMER

Thanks everyone!

The games looks great.

there is a psvita portable power bank from sony and it is a great buy it works on all devices that use usb to power themselves its one to have if you are planing to use it for extended amount of time (it will charge an ipad)

Any idea if south park stick of truth is going to the VITA? 

there is a psvita portable power bank from sony and it is a great buy it works on all devices that use usb to power themselves its one to have if you are planing to use it for extended amount of time (it will charge an ipad)

I use a grip on mine, which covers the charging slot.

Anyway I only play PS Vita at home, so it isn't really necessary. If it needs charging I can just play PS4/Xbone/PC. so no biggie.

I tried my external battery, didn't charge it. hmm typical.

Keep in mind OP that the vita slim has a better battery but worse screen, the original has the amazing screen but worse battery. The choice is yours.

PC & CONSOLE GAMER

I would choose 3ds, but if you are bent on getting the vita then do it.

ASUS ROG G75VX

Intel i7-3630QM 2.4GHz/3.4GHz Turbo | Nvidia GeForce 670MX 3GB OCed to 736MHz | 750GB HDD | Windows 8.1 | 24 GB 1600MHz RAM | Razer Goliathus Medium | Logitech G400s | Razer Kraken/ JBL J22 | Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX blue

The biggest downfall of the Vita is the Memory Cards. They are WAY overpriced. More expensive than a SSD. A 64GB memory card is going for $108 on Amazon US right now. Most games are 1-3GB, and including DLC, that space fills up real fast.

CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 3700x CPU Cooler: AMD Wraith Prism Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2x8GB) SSD: Samsung 970 Plus 250GB NVME, WD Blue 2TB m.2, Crucial M500 240GB GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW PSU: Seasonic G-Series 550W CASE: Corsair 220T RGB

I agree that the memory cards are a little frustrating. From what I heard, Sony decided to use a proprietary design as they came to the conclusion that MicroSD was simply too slow for what they needed... ie, loading a lot of game data quickly. Which sort of makes sense I suppose.

Personally, my biggest gripe with the Vita is that it sort of feels a bit clunky to use and doesn't do much outside of gaming. The UI is rather rubbish and for features other than gaming it's actually somewhat of a downgrade to the PlayStation Portable, really. As an example - on the PSP one can simply drag and drop their music files to the device and play them whenever they wish, and music playback is integrated tightly into the XMB UI. On the Vita however, transferring music files is quite a lot more involved as it requires some silly Sony software to do it, and whenever you wish to play music you need to launch an application for it. The same goes for photos and videos, too - and you cannot have a custom wallpaper, you can only choose a colour.

All in all, it's actually a fantastic device. But I truly hope that Sony expand upon it and try to make it a true successor to the PSP in every way, as right now it's rather lacking in a lot of areas.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

I agree that the memory cards are a little frustrating. From what I heard, Sony decided to use a proprietary design as they came to the conclusion that MicroSD was simply too slow for what they needed... ie, loading a lot of game data quickly. Which sort of makes sense I suppose.

Personally, my biggest gripe with the Vita is that it sort of feels a bit clunky to use and doesn't do much outside of gaming. The UI is rather rubbish and for features other than gaming it's actually somewhat of a downgrade to the PlayStation Portable, really. As an example - on the PSP one can simply drag and drop their music files to the device and play them whenever they wish, and music playback is integrated tightly into the XMB UI. On the Vita however, transferring music files is quite a lot more involved as it requires some silly Sony software to do it, and whenever you wish to play music you need to launch an application for it. The same goes for photos and videos, too - and you cannot have a custom wallpaper, you can only choose a colour.

All in all, it's actually a fantastic device. But I truly hope that Sony expand upon it and try to make it a true successor to the PSP in every way, as right now it's rather lacking in a lot of areas.

You can have custom wallpapers, even a custom lock screen, but everything else is right

CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 3700x CPU Cooler: AMD Wraith Prism Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2x8GB) SSD: Samsung 970 Plus 250GB NVME, WD Blue 2TB m.2, Crucial M500 240GB GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW PSU: Seasonic G-Series 550W CASE: Corsair 220T RGB

How do you set one?

Now that I am looking at it I can't even find a photos application. :/

If you look on some forums there are some pretty cool themes.

I would love to get one, but the price for the system itself is a bit high, still. Many of the games on the other hand can be had for about 10€ to 15€ already.

The 3DS might have the better battery life. I think I get around 5 to 6 hours out of a charge with my 3DS XL.

I don't really play many games for gameplay anymore honestly. I play most games just for the graphics.

Ask away OP. I've had mine since launch and have pretty much owned every single game released since then.

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)