Torrent streaming existed before Popcorn Time and still exists

This is my first post so if I'm doing anything wrong tell me!

I tried out popcorn time when I heard about it on a Netlinked Daily segment on YouTube and when it was discusses about on the WAN show I decided to make this post. Torrent streaming in the form of popcorn time's has existed for quite a while. While I can't give any specifics it has been around for longer a few months, I got it at version 1.2 about 3 months ago. Now onto the stuff you actually want to hear, what is this magical service that allows the free streaming of torrented movies and TV shows and where do I get it? Well it's not quite that simple.

The service is called MashUp and it is an addon for XBMC. This means it can be installed on Windows, Mac, Android, Jailbroken iOS, Jailbroken Apple TV, Linux and even Raspberry Pi unlike Popcorn Time's windows only installation AFAIK. There's even an option to install XBMC as a standalone OS running on top of a linux shell! The installation takes anywhere from 5-15 minutes depending on the device and your familiarity with XBMC. It starts a little like this.

1. Go to http://xbmc.org/download/ and select the type of device you want to install XBMC on, both the 12.3 Frodo release and 13.0 Gotham beta are reliable, I've been using Gotham since it was released and it has been flawless.

2. Go to http://www.mashupxbmc.com/ and go to the install page, follow the instuctions given in either video or text format to add MashUp to your addons.

3. Go into the MashUp app and enjoy free movies and TV shows.

I am not saying this service is either legal or ethical however if you were using Popcorn time this is essentially the same thing, just click on a category and the app presents you with thumbnails of the movies you are looking at. They will often have anywhere from CAM theatre copies (if you're into that) to 720 and 1080 copies of released movies to HD copies of TV episodes that often come out the day after the episode airs.

Thanks for reading and hope you enjoyed!

Stream all the documentaries!

Signatures are stupid.

i guess you didnt understand the intentions of popcorn

the idea is in its simplicity which ANYONE can do

what you talk about requires a person that knows how do the things u mention which isnt an average person

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

I think Popcorn Time got so much press because it was very easy to use with a nice UI.

It was also a good proof of concept and an all in one solution instead of 2 programs ghettoed together.

(i've never used it so it may be good but whatever)

This looks OK but I am unable to find 1080p videos that actualy work in there. Everything just run on 720p. Also interface is really clumsy to work in, it is not natural at all.

Besides I am not sure if your topic is against CoC or not.

Popcorntime was a LOT better in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

there is also another add on for xbmc called xbmctorrent (genius name). It let's you stream from the major torrent sites and then even has the ability to save the file after watching. I've streamed 080p videos on my crappy 5mbps internet with no problems!

It doesn't matter who did it first, it matters who does it best.

Popcorn Time looks and works a hell of a lot better than XBMC can ever dream of doing. XBMC isn't for everyone. It isn't that intuitive. 

PT gets attention because it just works. 

there is also another add on for xbmc called xbmctorrent (genius name). It let's you stream from the major torrent sites and then even has the ability to save the file after watching. I've streamed 080p videos on my crappy 5mbps internet with no problems!

I'm not surprised you could stream 80p movies with 5mb/s

jokes aside

1080p movies vary widely in size from 1.4 ish GB to 40 or so GB so even with 5 mb/s it wouldn't be a surprise if you could stream 3-5 GB movies depending on length..

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not surprised you could stream 80p movies with 5mb/s

jokes aside

1080p movies vary widely in size from 1.4 ish GB to 40 or so GB so even with 5 mb/s it wouldn't be a surprise if you could stream 3-5 GB movies depending on length..

oops typo lol, i've tried with 1080p movies around 10GB quite nicely but i think that might be the limit though, unless you have something way faster  :ph34r:

just tried it and wow does it not compare to Popcorn time, just the sight of a cam recording is enough for me to make that conclusion.

Why do you always die right after I fix you?