3-monitor setup with r9 270x

couchpatata
Go to solution Solved by erty176,

I was having this same problem on an older card. I then went to the amd website and it states this:

Connecting multiple monitors for AMD Eyefinity technology couldn’t be simpler. There are four easy rules to remember:

1. The first two monitors can connect to the graphics card with any display output on your product: HDMI, VGA, DVI or DisplayPort.

2. The third (or greater) display must be connected to the graphics card via DisplayPort.

3. If your monitor does not have a DisplayPort connection, you will need an inexpensive active DisplayPort adapter for it.DVI to DP adapters can be had for less than $30 USD.2

4. Every family of GPUs supports a different maximum number of displays.

Hi,

I've recently purchased a Sapphire R9 270x Vapor-X, it works great with 2 monitors so far. However, I could not get it to work with more than 2 monitors on at the same time. 

I have two monitors with DVI, and the other one only with VGA. This is how i hooked it up:

Monitor 1 (DVI) ---> GPU (DVI port)

Monitor 2 (DVI) -- DVI to HDMI cable --> GPU (HDMI port)

Monitor 3 (VGA) -- VGA to DVI adapter -> GPU (DVI port)

Does this have something to do with having an analog (VGA-only) monitor? This isn't a problem with the card, is it?

Thanks,

Potato

what gb model do you have? im not sure if 2gb or less can handle 3 but im not sure about that 

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

Found this old video (I was previously looking into multiple monitors myself). So this guy has a bit similar situation to you, maybe you can find something useful out of it...

CPU: Intel i7 3970X @ 4.7 GHz  (custom loop)   RAM: Kingston 1866 MHz 32GB DDR3   GPU(s): 2x Gigabyte R9 290OC (custom loop)   Motherboard: Asus P9X79   

Case: Fractal Design R3    Cooling loop:  360 mm + 480 mm + 1080 mm,  tripple 5D Vario pump   Storage: 500 GB + 240 GB + 120 GB SSD,  Seagate 4 TB HDD

PSU: Corsair AX860i   Display(s): Asus PB278Q,  Asus VE247H   Input: QPad 5K,  Logitech G710+    Sound: uDAC3 + Philips Fidelio x2

HWBot: http://hwbot.org/user/tame/

The top VGA cannot do analog, the bottom may not be either.  So if you're using the DVI>VGA on the black port it won't work.

One monitor for Eyefinity (Any AMD 3+ set up) has to be DisplayPort.

You either need to use a cable, or an ACTIVE adapter.

Case: Lian Li PC011-D - CPU: 3900x - GPU: 2080ti Reference - Mobo: Gigabyte - Ram: Corsair 4x16gb 3200MHz - SSD: 2TB Samsung Evo NVME

I was having this same problem on an older card. I then went to the amd website and it states this:

Connecting multiple monitors for AMD Eyefinity technology couldn’t be simpler. There are four easy rules to remember:

1. The first two monitors can connect to the graphics card with any display output on your product: HDMI, VGA, DVI or DisplayPort.

2. The third (or greater) display must be connected to the graphics card via DisplayPort.

3. If your monitor does not have a DisplayPort connection, you will need an inexpensive active DisplayPort adapter for it.DVI to DP adapters can be had for less than $30 USD.2

4. Every family of GPUs supports a different maximum number of displays.

Does not having a second parenthesis around something bother anyone else as much as it does me? (Like if this statement was missing a second side)

1. If your monitor does not have a DisplayPort connection, you will need an inexpensive active DisplayPort adapter for it.DVI to DP adapters can be had for less than $30 USD.

Inexpensive, lol

But I think OP meant three at once generally - not in Eyefinity (which is all three merged into one monitor). If you meant all in Eyefinity, erty is right - you would need a display port adapter.

If you just want all three generally (not in Eyefinity), I would try turning the computer and all monitors off, then turning the computer on and waiting for it to boot. Then turning all three monitors on. Then going to "Screen Resolution" in the Control Panel and hitting "Detect".

I'm assuming that you have tried taking out each one individually, to see if it is a fault with a specific input. If not, try doing so - for example, take out the VGA but leave both the DVI and HDMI in place. Observe what happens and rinse and repeat with each output. If you can only get two regardless of the input used, then it is either a software problem or a limitation of the graphics card (although since your DVI are both dual-link, I don't see why there would be such a limitation. But I've been wrong before).

Inexpensive, lol

But I think OP meant three at once generally - not in Eyefinity (which is all three merged into one monitor). If you meant all in Eyefinity, erty is right - you would need a display port adapter.

If you just want all three generally (not in Eyefinity), I would try turning the computer and all monitors off, then turning the computer on and waiting for it to boot. Then turning all three monitors on. Then going to "Screen Resolution" in the Control Panel and hitting "Detect".

Yep, i cannot do Eyefinity at the moment since all three monitors are not the same resolutions. 

I already tried turning it off and on as advised in a forum i've visited upon Googling. No luck there. :(

The dvi to VGA May be faulty mine was faulty.

I can confirm that the DVI to VGA connector and monitor works. The thing is - I can use any 2 of the 3 monitors at the same time, I just can't run all of them together.

3. If your monitor does not have a DisplayPort connection, you will need an inexpensive active DisplayPort adapter for it.DVI to DP adapters can be had for less than $30 USD.

Interesting... I'll try to grab one of those adapters this weekend. 

I'll also try to hook up the HDMI from the TV when I get the time, just to eliminate the possibility of the card not being able to add an analog monitor to the setup.

Thanks guys. Will keep you posted.

Do note that the active display port adapter is for Eyefinity. Obviously you won't be able to use Eyefinity, however;

The thing is - I can use any 2 of the 3 monitors at the same time

It's possible that the card is limited at the manufacturer level so that the display port must be used in order to even run 3 standalone monitors. Why they would do this I'm not sure, since a DVI-I -> VGA, DVI-D -> DVI and HDMI -> DVI should work absolutely fine.

Short of that, it could be your drivers for the graphics card - make sure those are updated. If it's not that, then it's probably a card limitation.

Do note that the active display port adapter is for Eyefinity. Obviously you won't be able to use Eyefinity, however;

It's possible that the card is limited at the manufacturer level so that the display port must be used in order to even run 3 standalone monitors. Why they would do this I'm not sure, since a DVI-I -> VGA, DVI-D -> DVI and HDMI -> DVI should work absolutely fine.

Short of that, it could be your drivers for the graphics card - make sure those are updated. If it's not that, then it's probably a card limitation.

Drivers are updated, still no luck. :(

I'll just pick up a display port adapter soon. I'm gonna need it later on anyway when I decide to pick up matching monitors. I gave up using 3 for now and sticked with 2. Will let you know if the display port adapter did the trick.. 

I still very happy with the performance of the card, though. I guess it's well worth giving up the small monitor. :)

Thanks!

Potato

• 2 weeks later...

1. The third (or greater) display must be connected to the graphics card via DisplayPort

Yup.. that did the trick. Thanks everyone!