#1 LinusTech

LinusTech

Mr. Tech Tips

• Administrator
  • 1,775 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:53 PM

NCIX: http://bit.ly/1n1do4Q

Amazon: http://georiot.co/32Ai

Razer's new Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 is the first mechanical gaming keyboard to use their new RAZER mechanical key switches instead of Cherry MX series ones! It's a subtle change, but one that Razer is proactively doing a LOT of marketing around to get their users used to the idea of them being the first gaming keyboard maker to break the mold and use something OTHER than Cherry switches....

• 7850OC, MbV93 and Heisenbleurgh like this

Login or Create an Account to get rid of this ad! Login or Create an Account to get rid of this ad!

#2 TheNinjaNextDor

TheNinjaNextDor

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ GIVE

• 5,764 posts
  • LocationTurn around

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:57 PM

There are just so many better things for this price... And Razer, "gaming switches" aren't new. Reds and browns fill that place.

#3 Str_Mape

Str_Mape

I Have Evolved

• 1,068 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:58 PM

aww man Beepskado hasn't posted yet, :(

OT: kinda wish the orange variant were as heavy as MX greens but quiet.

"My muffin thinks you're crazy & she wants you to go"     "Tell your muffin I think she's crazy. Maybe she should go!"     "No!"
CPU: FX 8120 @ 4.0 GHz Stock Voltage http://valid.canardpc.com/wnvwmy -  Motherboard: GA 990FXA-UD3 - RAM: 16GB Vengeance 1600 MHz - GPU's: Gigabyte GTX 590 / Gigabyte HD 7770 - Case - Phantom 410 With AP 121's - SSD: 180GB Intel 335 - HDD's: 4 x 3TB Barracudas + 1TB WD Blue - PSU: 850W OCZ ZX - Cooler: Spire Gemini Rev 3 -  Monitors: 3 x AOC e2250Swda - Keyboard: CM Storm Trigger MX Greens - Mouse: Corsair Raptor M40 - Headphones: HD Sennheiser 558 - Speakers: Logitech Z506 - Mic: Blue Snowball

#4 dizmo

dizmo

Veteran

• 5,738 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 06 March 2014 - 10:02 PM

I wish I liked green back lighting.

#5 xxMichael

xxMichael

Give me the D Tesla

• 716 posts
  • LocationIn your basement listening to every sound you make.

Posted 06 March 2014 - 10:04 PM

Go to bed Linus :)

i7 4770K | EVGA Reference GTX 780 + Asus Direct CUII GTX 780 | Maximus VI Formula | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP | Samsung 840 EVO 1TB | AX860 | Fractal Design Define R4  

"Let's just say... Slick makes me Slick ;) " -Tmh85

I'll love you more than you'll ever love me...

#6 Radioactive Ghoul

Radioactive Ghoul

• 73 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 10:04 PM

I like green.

#7 Constantine

Constantine

• 375 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 10:05 PM

Came in curious about the Razer switches, left hungry for a Subway Sandwich.

• Legion, NICKT, FlamingDefibs and 1 other like this

#8 Heisenbleurgh

Heisenbleurgh

Disney Dalek

• 1,599 posts
  • LocationDisneyland hopefully

Posted 06 March 2014 - 10:11 PM

lol I'd been refreshing youtube for the last 30 minutes, I was pretty interested on seeing this video.

edit: I don't think the subway comparison is really valid because the sandwich is a one-time use product, while one of the selling points of mechanical keyboards in general is durability. If I'm looking at competitors in this price range we're talking about pretty much some of the best keyboards out there where things like a warranty's length, other user experiences and something as components' sources come into play.

I don't think it's a bad switch (or keyboard) and probably won't be trying it out myself anytime soon (just bought a 3rd mechanical) but I'd like to see blind tests on not only players but regular users too.

pc specs:

#9 otobot9

otobot9

• 144 posts
  • LocationAlberta,Canada

Posted 06 March 2014 - 10:13 PM

I loved my 1st-Gen BlackWidow and don't mind my friends 2013 edition but even then I didn't notice much of a difference between them. I am hoping to try one of these soon however.

(SpecsCPU: AMD Phenom II X4 B50 3.2GHz GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7790 Gigabyte 2GB MOTHERBOARD: ASUS M4A785T-M RAM: 8GB Storage: 2TB WD HDD 128GB Kingston SSD

(Peripherals) Keyboard: Corsair K95 Mouse: Logitech G700S Headset: Audio-Technica ATH-M50's Microphone: Blue Snowball

#10 Imabigmac

Imabigmac

122 hours on ETS 2, Does not help you get chicks!

• 3,189 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island, Canada

Posted 06 March 2014 - 10:14 PM

I would want it, but I can't deal with the solid green back-lighting. Like honestly currently I wan ta g710+ or a k70 but if this had blue or white back-light I would buy it. I d think it is important to know where and how the parts are made, we wouldn't buy a power supply if we knew it was made in a basement in china. 

EDIT: Can you turn the back lighting off? 

My PC

"No passion so effectually robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear."  -  Edmund Burke

#11 lachyman

lachyman

Master Archer

• 2,912 posts
  • LocationEuropean Union

Posted 06 March 2014 - 10:17 PM

Still waiting for the Corsair RGB keyboard...

• JoshSlosh, Inkz and simson0606 like this

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips...hy/?hl=snowbird

#12 Tuanie

Tuanie

• 294 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 10:21 PM

Still waiting for the Corsair RGB keyboard...

when? another 3-4 months?

#13 mikeangeles 75

mikeangeles 75

Twitch Chat Enthusiast

• 668 posts
  • LocationBadgerfield

Posted 06 March 2014 - 10:23 PM

I'm still in the phase of determining what mechanical keyboard to get...

I'll just wait a little more... or until they release the price of the Corsair RGB which won't be cheap...

Go away Razer product naming and box designing team or whatever, just go away... lol

BRUH

#14 Heisenbleurgh

Heisenbleurgh

Disney Dalek

• 1,599 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 10:37 PM

I would want it, but I can't deal with the solid green back-lighting. Like honestly currently I wan ta g710+ or a k70 but if this had blue or white back-light I would buy it. I d think it is important to know where and how the parts are made, we wouldn't buy a power supply if we knew it was made in a basement in china. 

EDIT: Can you turn the back lighting off? 

yes, he does it in the video.

pc specs:

#15 JAKEBAB

JAKEBAB

You Look Better When Im Drunk!

• 4,357 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 06 March 2014 - 10:37 PM

not that it really matters in this case but when u see german made it just gives u this feeling u know it will be quality like be quiet i really want to get rid of my psu and h80 to get be quit cooler and psu and mercedes, audi, vw and bmw all amazing cars german made i dont know i just have a thing for it :S just when i think about it i get this image in my head of like a bmw or mercedes door sound shutting u know that satisfying heavy sound i dunno how to explain it :S

• maxvons and Heisenbleurgh like this

The Mohawk Turtle: Case Silverstone SG09, CPU Intel 4770k, GPU GTX 780, Motherboard Asus z87 Gryphon, Memory 16gb Gskill Sniper 1866mhz, HDD Seagate barracuda 1TB, SSD Crucial M500 120gb, Cooler Corsair H80, PSU Corsair HX650w v2. 

#16 CatCloud

CatCloud

Gamer Extraordinary and Speedy Editor of his own posts

• Gold Contributor
  • 2,631 posts
  • LocationStockholm, Sweden, Home.

Posted 06 March 2014 - 10:45 PM

I'm still in the phase of determining what mechanical keyboard to get...

I'll just wait a little more... or until they release the price of the Corsair RGB which won't be cheap...

Go away Razer product naming and box designing team or whatever, just go away... lol

They claimed the price for the RBG would not be Premium...or something...so maybe around the K95 at worst?

But yeah, c´mon Corsair take my money! i want two Keyboards!

Also i don´t really need ALL the information about whats in my keyboard, but some are important, and if i know it´s quality under the hood im happy. Regarding this keyboard id stay away from it until @Slick Benchmarks it ;p

#17 Imabigmac

Imabigmac

• 3,189 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 10:54 PM

yes, he does it in the video.

I thought it was just unplugged. 

My PC

"No passion so effectually robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear."  -  Edmund Burke

#18 Heisenbleurgh

Heisenbleurgh

Disney Dalek

• 1,599 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:00 PM

I thought it was just unplugged. 

at 6:30 he starts increasing brightness, you can notice he starts off with no lights.

pc specs:

#19 Imabigmac

Imabigmac

• 3,189 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:03 PM

at 6:30 he starts increasing brightness, you can notice he starts off with no lights.

must have the point where I actually did math work instead of watching, you are right. 

My PC

#20 Abir Vandergriff

Abir Vandergriff

• 46 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 11:22 PM

If these would be significantly cheaper keyboards, I'd probably consider it, but at the hefty price of $139.99 in the US.... I don't think anyone knows if they can really trust these switches, so that seems a little heavy for now.

CPU: Intel Core i5 4670K RAM: Team Zeus Red 2x4GB 1600MHz GPU: Gigabyte Windforce R9 270X 2GB SSD: Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB MoBo: Gigabyte GA-Z97MX  Case: Corsair Obsidian 350D PSU: Corsair CX430M

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users