Possible Msi Hd7950 Overheating & Other Issues

Ianesz

About a month ago, I've purchased an MSI 7950 TF3 BE/OC card, as an upgrade to my now quite old 4890. Right at the start, after playing RIFT a few minutes, i've noticed the card is massively louder than my 4890, which i was surprised with. In fact the noise is almost unbearable. Now, a week or so ago, my monitor would loose the signal from the card, and either just go blank, say that there's no signal from the card, or say that "The current input timing isnt supported by the display". I've tried both DVI and DisplayPort connections. The first time this has happened was while playing WoW, but i've not had the issue there since, and it only seems to appear in RIFT now (which is the most demanding game on my PC right now). Happened 2x in a row few nights ago, then nothing for a few days, then last night again twice in a row, and today again. Most of the time when this occurs, the PC is otherwise unaffected (the music keeps playing for example); but occasionally this is followed by a BSOD.

Back to the noise thing. The fans are (according to MSI Afterburner) spinning at ~4500 RPM, which as far as i can tell, is as high as they can go, but the temps are 63°C tops (when I got the card they were 58°C tops, but back then the weather was very cold and it was freezing in my room), which seems very low considering my 4890 went up to 90, especially in hot summer weather, and was generally sitting around 83 or so. Which is why i dont understand why the fans would go all out when the GPU temp is in fact not very high at all. Is it possible there's parts of the card that Afterburner isnt reading which are running extremely hot for whatever reason?

The next issue that im having is quite old at this point, as this has been happening for at least a year and a half if not longer. Whenever i hard reset the PC, or there's BSOD, the mouse wont be working at all (no power) when i get back to Windows, and the integrated NIC will report no connection for 1-2 monutes, after which both will resume working... If i unplug and plug the mouse in again it starts working (cant do that with NIC obviously)

Any tips and suggestions regarding the problems described would be greatly appreciated.

i5 4670K | CM V6GT | Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H | Corsair 2x4GB Vengeance 1866 | MSI GTX 770 using 376.53 driver | Corsair HX850 Gold | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | ASUS Xonar Essence ST | Dell U2412M 1920x1200 | Windows 10 x64

I'd say it's a faulty card, return it for a refund.

Anyone else have an opinion on the matter?

i5 4670K | CM V6GT | Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H | Corsair 2x4GB Vengeance 1866 | MSI GTX 770 using 376.53 driver | Corsair HX850 Gold | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | ASUS Xonar Essence ST | Dell U2412M 1920x1200 | Windows 10 x64

Anyone else have an opinion on the matter?

Hi lanesz,  You don't mention if you've changed the clock, memory or voltage settings on the card. In AfterBurner on left side main screen on the bottom right is a "reset" button that will bring your card to "stock" settings, have you tried that?  Your GPU temps will go up proportionaly with your ambient room temps by the way, that's normal.

Why are your fans at 100 percent all the time?

As for the mouse not working you may have to plug it into the Intel chipset controlled usb ports which are located right under/next to the nic port. Mine wont work at all except for that ports.

Main rig: i7 4790k, Cooler H55, EVGA GTX 980, Corsair Obsidian 250D, ASRock H97M-ITX/ac, G.Skill 8GB, 500GB 840 EVO, 1TB WD Black

Server:  HP DL380 G5 8x 300GB 10k Sata drives, 2x e5460 32GB Ram

NAS: Synology DS213 with 2 2TB WD Red Drives

Hi lanesz,  You don't mention if you've changed the clock, memory or voltage settings on the card. In AfterBurner on left side main screen on the bottom right is a "reset" button that will bring your card to "stock" settings, have you tried that?  Your GPU temps will go up proportionaly with your ambient room temps by the way, that's normal.

No I haven't overclocked the card, tried reset just incase, didnt change anything.

Why are your fans at 100 percent all the time?

That's what i'd like to know as well :). Technically not all the time, in WoW they're usually not, but in RIFT which is a bit more demanding game they are.

As for the mouse not working you may have to plug it into the Intel chipset controlled usb ports which are located right under/next to the nic port. Mine wont work at all except for that ports.

Ill give that a shot, but it still doesnt explain why the NIC dies for 2 minutes.

Hi.

I'm also running HD7950. It shouldn't really show any signs of struggle with WoW or Rift. Are your frame rates still okay? It seems like there could be a fault with the card to me. Even my old rig with a 6870 played Rift with no problems and the fans not spinning up too much.

To be honest, while its a definite improvement over 4890, I was kinda hoping for perma 60+  or at least 50+ FPS. Its pretty much 40-50 FPS in open terrain while questing (im on a pretty dead server so its just me and the environment, no other players really), but in dungeons, even the closed environment ones, its 30-35, which im not happy with at all. In WoW i get 50-70, but it can drop to 30 in raids (not all the time tho, just during lots of stuff going on). In 25mans can get as low as 17FPS sometimes.

Attached are RIFT and WoW graphical settings I use.

post-17417-0-84666800-1367485167.jpg

post-17417-0-23558700-1367485185.jpg

post-17417-0-84666800-1367485167.jpg

post-17417-0-23558700-1367485185.jpg