GOG.com will have regional pricing for some games

GoodBytes

GOG.com famouse for it's DRM free games, single price anywhere you are, tax included, and well, old games, patched or configured with DOSBox to make it run on modern system by making sure the gamne runs expect as it did with older systems, will now have regional pricing for certain games due to publisher pressure, in them in trying to provide newer games.

20110307103531.0_cinema_720.0.jpg

We wish that we could offer these games at flat prices everywhere in the world, but the decision on pricing is always in our partners' hands, and regional pricing is becoming the standard around the globe. We're doing this because we believe that there's no better way to accomplish our overall goals for DRM-Free gaming and GOG.com."

Source: http://www.polygon.com/2014/2/23/5439848/gog-returning-to-regional-pricing-for-upcoming-games

Well if they say they can't do anything about it I have no problem. They have no control over it if their partners want to sell their games like that.

Well if they say they can't do anything about it I have no problem. They have no control over it if their partners want to sell their games like that.

Except soon enough they'll make another announcement "Our publisher partners now also want DRM, please don't hate us, we'll try to make it as unobtrusive as possible" then "Erm...now our partners want always-online DRM.....we don't even have an excuse this time, just go back to Steam"

-------

Current Rig

-------

Except soon enough they'll make another announcement "Our publisher partners now also want DRM, please don't hate us, we'll try to make it as unobtrusive as possible" then "Erm...now our partners want always-online DRM.....we don't even have an excuse this time, just go back to Steam"

CDP hates DRM. I don't see them going that route.

CDP hates DRM. I don't see them going that route.

This move alone isn't going to get major publishers on-board. If they're willing to compromise on one bullshit, senseless, greedy fucking tactic like regional pricing, who's to say they won't compromise on DRM later on?

I'm sorry but if I decided to do business with gog.com at all was because they didn't compromise and were interested in consumers first, publisher bullshit second. Now that this is evidently not their priority I have no reason not to just get everything on Steam instead, which has just all around better catalog, infrastructure, offers, etc.

-------

Current Rig

-------

This move alone isn't going to get major publishers on-board. If they're willing to compromise on one bullshit, senseless, greedy fucking tactic like regional pricing, who's to say they won't compromise on DRM later on?

I'm sorry but if I decided to do business with gog.com at all was because they didn't compromise and were interested in consumers first, publisher bullshit second. Now that this is evidently not their priority I have no reason not to just get everything on Steam instead, which has just all around better catalog, infrastructure, offers, etc.

The whole point of GOG is DRM free. Regional pricing, while it seems quite silly for online reselling (especially things like software which are just copies), is something that they have to take into account due to the fact that they have to but the games themselves before selling them on . I'm not too sure on the details, but if they still got the games at the same price, then i don't think that they would have to bother. The humble store has to do this regional pricing too so it looks like they've been hit the same way as GOG.

If a game was given DRM, then GOG just wouldn't sell it.

Aragorn (WS): 250D | 6800k | 840 Pro 512GB | Intel 530 480GB  | Asus X99-M WS | 64GB DDR4 | Corsair HX720i | GTX 1070 | Corsair H115i | Philips BDM4350UC 43" 3840x2160 IPS

Gimli (server):  Node 304 | G4560 | ADATA XPG SX8000 128GB | 2x 5TB WD Red | ASROCK H270M-ITX/AC  | 8GB DDR4 | Seasonic 400FL

Omega (server):                 Fractal Arc Mini R2 | i3 4130 | 500GB Maxtor | 2TB WD Red : Raid 1 | 3TB Seagate Barracuda | 16GB RAM | Seasonic G-450w
Alpha (WS): 900D | 4770k | GTX 780  | 840 Pro 512GB  | GA-Z87X-OC | Corsair RM 850 | 24GB 2400mhz | Samsung S27B970D 2560x1440

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Nope, sorry there's no logical reason for digitally distributed games to have different prices. What's good for the goose is good for the gander. And if they gave up on something that for me as an international buyer is crucial (even MORE SO than DRM) then there's nothing stopping them from accepting DRM as well. I just don't trust them.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Steam is more likely to have always online DRM than GOG. It'd already pretty heinous.

Steam is more likely to have always online DRM than GOG. It'd already pretty heinous.

Oh yeah, from the recent examples like games without a .exe or just broken ones to their long standing DRM issues and limited installs bullshits like with Anno 2070 their history of allowing publisher crap is long and well documented, point taken.

So it is fair to say that I either wait for deep discounts or do a lot of digging before purchasing anything on Steam. But the fact remains that thanks to the sales I already have a healthy library of games and what gog.com should know this is the case for virtually everyone, so knowing that they do not include DRM and still managed fair prices was actually attractive, as in I could trust whatever is on it a bit more and had extra features like guaranteeing the game would work and offer troubleshooting for issues, etc.

But now? Now they're no different than Steam or Amazon: if the price is right and the publisher can be trusted, sure. But out of reputation alone? why bother.

-------

Current Rig

-------

If it ends up I don't have to pay FX rates and commission to get games from GOG so it makes it a little cheaper then that is fine. But if I find the price gets increased with the usual "regional pricing" BS then that will annoy me greatly.