PC build guide (im proud i hope to get it pinned :D)

jameshumphries47

Some stuff you should consider adding:

-GPU type of cooler (blower type, etc), number and position of Extra power connectors, lenght - these all matter to some extent, and you have to take this in consideration when getting PSU and Chassis

-Memory- memory profiles, latencies, voltages. Heatsinks that are huge and can interfere with the cooling of your cpu. 

-Applying thermal paste - It's not always a "grain of rice". When applying thermal paste you have to know (googling) how the surface of the chip you are trying to remove heat away from is. Notice that most CPU's have the chip protected by a cap. Haswell (as example) has 2 chips, 1 rectangular close to the center and one squarish next to it; the correct way to apply thermal paste would be in a vertical line.

-Motherboard: there is so much to consider here that you didn't mention. You should add something about the chipset, power phases and overclocking, types of chips and how they influence ram/cpu overclock. SLI/CFX capability. Extras as certain Network adapters, good onboard audio (shielded parts, amplifiers, sound chip)

-Storage: should have mentioned Raids for data speed and data security. Sata/pci-e disks. Mains difference between mechanical and ss. Prices also, since these vary alot.

-PSU: eficient certifications. Haswell rdy PSU's. 

Other stuff:

-Buying cooling matterial. You have to consider the case and the fans. Should have mentioned on how to think when building something considering airflow. Static pressure and cfm concepts, laminar airflows to minimize "suffocation". Consider CPU cooler and GPU cooler types and positions when doing so.

-Cable management - Also to be considered when buying a case. Besides looking awefull it interferes with the cooling.

-Case Extras: e-sata on the case, usb 3.0 on the case, proper fan options be it for air or watercooling. 

Things i do not agree on:

-Thermal paste apply method is not like that for every component

-Do NOT wriggle any cpu. It only fits properly in ONE way. Mobo and cpu have arrows and a side notch to fit. It goes in and stays put perfectly.

-Who said that all the people who buy a pc installs windows 7? and from a dvd? i personally dont see a person installing an operating system from a cd in like, 4 years and i live in a 3rd world country! Not everything is windows!

-No mention on watercooling.

-No mention on big stores where you can buy/find mostly all the types of components, even if just to compare prices with your local stores. (newegg, ncix, amazon, ebay, younameit)

-I'm bored to think more.

Now, to summarize my post and PLEASE, DON'T TAKE THIS AS AN OFFENCE, this should not be pinned at all. It is too superficial.

If i was some random person trying to build a pc, the info given here would not have helped me that much. Most of this i would consider just from googling for the main parts. When some1 is trying to really build a pc, there is so much detail you have to consider for each component and how it will mix together in the end.

You mentioned you sli/crossfire with ANOTHER 4 cards? 5 way-sli. lol ok

And you are pretty much Intel Fanboying with your topic.

I

a few things yes @papeles i will work on that later, it is very hard to get everything done first try. and @Paralectic, im not an itel fanboy at all realisticly i would say AMD is a better way to go :D

Check out my current projects: Selling site (Click Here)

If($reply == "for me to see"){

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

$action = "Leave me alone!";

}

a few things yes @papeles i will work on that later, it is very hard to get everything done first try. and @Paralectic, im not an itel fanboy at all realisticly i would say AMD is a better way to go :D

Okay! Good luck improving this topic

GL getting this pinned. Linus himself has multiple vids about how-to build computer. So you can forget the pin

I don't understand this post, my essay is not just about building a pc its about planning and installing OS, And its not your decision if ill get it pinned, I only want it pinned so I can help as many people as possible....

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

}

• 1 month later...

Nice guide but try to edit out all of the grammar and spelling errors, also try to use proper sentence structure.

Check out my Build Log: Project Contrast

Care to explain why you use outdated components as an example?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

@The_Edster I will but im not great at English sorry!

@terrytek when I typed this up for the first time these were in date. and so what if there out of date?

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

}

• 2 months later...

okay guys, tomorrow im going to re-type the majority of this making sentences more readable, updating and add alot more info about other OS's too :)

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

}

@JustTooDank

no I know its not anti static, yours good practice to put it on the anti static bag that reminded me to add something :D

The anti-static bag only works when the mobo is contained within it.  You don't need to place it on the bag because just setting it on the bag does nothing to prevent static.  It operates on the same principle as a Faraday cage/shield, when in the cage any static or electricity stays on the outside.  

The reason I use the anti-static bag to set the mobo on when working on it is to protect the metal on the bottom from scratching whatever surface I have it set on.   But once the mobo is out of the bag should be extra careful one should use an anti-static wrist strap or at minimum keep touching something metal, like the PC case, to keep yourself grounded.