AMD Mantle Investigation

LinusTech

NCIX: http://ncix.com/search/?q=amd+radeon

Amazon: http://georiot.co/2vMH

I'm sorry this took so long, but due to the BETA nature of AMD's Mantle driver, and DICE's Mantle patch we had some difficulty doing what we set out to do... Which was to determine if, for real actual gamers out there, Mantle was going to make a difference. Some of the issues were caused by our desire to use components that were common in gaming systems (according to Valve's hardware survey) and some of the issues were caused by the BETA nature of Mantle. Either way, it's here now. I hope you enjoy it.

About time Linus!

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

making a amd video has evga gtx drivers opened haha 

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

LOL slick's face.

Looks like he is as high as a kite...

dont really care much for mantle until they "apparently" can fix the lower graphics and it becomes available on nvidia.

dont really care much for mantle until they "apparently" can fix the lower graphics and it becomes available on nvidia.

Graphics wont be a problem with few patches but nvidia wont use Mantle.

So, it took weeks to test different systems and configurations etc. But most of the work wasn't shown...

Thank you guys for putting in the effort and time but I'm honestly a little disappointed...

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

Cheers matey

Spoiler

CPU: i5 4690k @4.2Ghz w/ Corsair H100i GTX | Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 16GB | GPU: Palit 1080Ti | Case: Corsair Carbide Air 540 | PSU: Seasonic G750 80+ Gold | Storage: Samsung 840 250GB, Sandisk Ultra II 960gb, WD Green 4TB, Samsung EcoGreen 2TB

Spoiler

CPU: i5 4670k @4 Ghz w/ Corsair H80i | Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Impact | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 8GB | GPU: Palit 1080Ti

Case: Bitfenix Prodigy | PSU: Corsair CXM 600W PSU 80+ Bronze | Storage: Corsair Force GS 240GB SSD

Anyone notice the mister Spock poster in the background when slick takes over?

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

So, it took weeks to test different systems and configurations etc. But most of the work wasn't shown...

Thank you guys for putting in the effort and time but I'm honestly a little disappointed...

The results were basically a total mess. Impossible to conclude anything other than "well, it's BETA"

The results were basically a total mess. Impossible to conclude anything other than "well, it's BETA"

Fair enough.

Graphics wont be a problem with few patches but nvidia wont use Mantle.

so they say. also i know the likeliness of nvidia using mantle is slim but still possible.

I understand that. It would have been cool to see the results if the other space game benchmark compared to direct x.

Hail Sithis!

We thought about showing the results, but the issue was that they looked so wrong to us that we figured "those number must be f***ed"

so we re-ran

and re-ran

and re-ran

and they're fine.

But they still looked horrible, so we figured the only conclusion a viewer could draw looking at those number is the same one we did. There must be something wrong. Except that we don't' think there is.

So we looked at what other review sites are doing and ran the same scenarios they did, and we were able to produce those same numbers. The only conclusion we can draw is that everyone *wants* to show what Mantle is capable of, but because it's BETA they are avoiding the scenarios where it just plain doesn't make ANY sense...

Nice video. Had me wondering how much of an improvement I will see on my 5450.

Never trust a hug. Its just a way to hide your face - The Doctor (Sounds something like the grumpy cat would say)

We thought about showing the results, but the issue was that they looked so wrong to us that we figured "those number must be f***ed"

so we re-ran

and re-ran

and re-ran

and they're fine.

But they still looked horrible, so we figured the only conclusion a viewer could draw looking at those number is the same one we did. There must be something wrong. Except that we don't' think there is.

So we looked at what other review sites are doing and ran the same scenarios they did, and we were able to produce those same numbers. The only conclusion we can draw is that everyone *wants* to show what Mantle is capable of, but because it's BETA they are avoiding the scenarios where it just plain doesn't make ANY sense...

thank you guys so much for taking the time and effort to give us this content. Will you re-run the tests once the next driver is released? I would love to see a revisit!

Hail Sithis!

People were over hyped about this, and now have expectations blown out of proportion.

And realistically it will never deliver, at least not up to their over-hyped expectations, but they are willing to look over realistic scenarios.

People were over hyped about this, and now have expectations blown out of proportion.

And realistically it will never deliver, at least not up to their over-hyped expectations, but they are willing to look over realistic scenarios.

it's not even the hype, we waited so long for AMD to release drivers and DICE to release the patch. It was just the suspense of it all. Yeah the hype played in but the unknown was a bigger player, at least for me.

Hail Sithis!

I wanted to try Mantle and the website says it supports A8 CPUs with 6 series Radeon graphics (I have the A8-3850 with a 6550D) but it doesn't show up in BF4 when I take out my GPU and plug my screen into the onboard. (Yes, I installed the beta drivers.)

NZXT Phantom|FX-8320 @4.4GHz|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|240GB SSD|2x 500GB HDD|16GB RAM|2x AMD MSI R9 270|2x 1080p IPS|Win 10

Dell Precision M4500 - Dell Latitude E4310 - HTC One M8

$200 Volvo 245

I knew it was a little suspicious when DICE released those FPS numbers. It was too good to be true.

And the verdict is although Mantle does benefit the user with 10 FPS more, that's all it does, not the hyped 25% faster. 

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

I wanted to try Mantle and the website says it supports A8 CPUs with 6 series Radeon graphics (I have the A8-3850 with a 6550D) but it doesn't show up in BF4 when I take out my GPU and plug my screen into the onboard. (Yes, I installed the beta drivers.)

Sorry if you want to run on an APU you need Kaveri. AMD's documentation isn't very clear about this.

thank you guys so much for taking the time and effort to give us this content. Will you re-run the tests once the next driver is released? I would love to see a revisit!

It's more likely at this point that we'll evaluate game by game as support comes.

I just don't think FPS is a great showcase piece for Mantle. Star Citizen on the other hand... It could make me tear my Titan out of my rig...

It's more likely at this point that we'll evaluate game by game as support comes.

I just don't think FPS is a great showcase piece for Mantle. Star Citizen on the other hand... It could make me tear my Titan out of my rig...

yeah, hopefully we get some great RTS games and games with heavy CPU usage in the near future.

At this point, having had experience with both technologies which do you think is better for the gamer, mantle or g-sync ?

Hail Sithis!