February 14th 2014 - The WAN Show Document

LinusTech

< News Items >

Steam adds “recently updated” to the storefront

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/113849-steam-adds-recently-updated-category-to-storefront/

- Header on the homepage shows recently updated games

- Drop down menu under “FOR YOU” has recently updated option

- Filters for “Recently Updated” are “All Products” and “Your Games & Software”

- Tom Bui of Valve said, "The more options developers have for communicating about their products, the better it is for everyone. With this new product section and corresponding developer tools, customers can more easily discover products that provide ongoing value and involvement from the developers."

Valve wins, no selling used digital games

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/114009-valve-wins-court-case-in-germany-say-goodbye-to-the-possibility-of-used-digital-games-sales/

- Federation of German Consumer Organisations aka Verbraucherzentrale Bundesverband, VZBZ for short VS Valve

- Stated that Valve has to comply with a European Union decision from 2012 that states that companies cannot stop consumers from reselling digital product.

- In reality this applies to physical games as well as they are all just steam/origin/uplay keys anyways in the end

- Double standards: Terrible legal ramifications for theft, Always On DRM with potentially short server lifetime, 0 return policy, No trading, often no sharing, no ownership.

- Reminds me of ebook lending policy - had folks point out Prime lending service

- Netflix model eventually, anyone?

Google and Foxconn pair up for robotic manu.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/114398-google-and-foxconn-team-up-to-automate-manufacturing-processes/

- Google's head of robotics Andy Rubin and Foxconn CEO Terry Gou recently met "to speed up deployment" of Google's robot technology at the Taiwanese company's factories.

- Google recently bought Boston Dynamics which makes crazy robots like big dog and wild cat

- Google's ambitions include "competing with companies like Amazon in retailing."

- Might bring high tech factories to the US

- People have been saying 2014 will be the year of VR… Maybe it will be the year of VR, Robotic Vision, and Advanced Robotic Automation

- can talk about phone screen repair http://instagram.com/p/kQksDLSbLZ/

Google voice just got smarter

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/114553-google-voice-search-just-got-a-lot-smarter/

- in order for the system to work, you need to update your contacts to include their relationship to you.

- to call a parent, you just need to say "call dad" or "call mom" instead of their actual names.

- Siri has been able to do this for a while "Tap “Add Custom Label” to create your own relationship." or say something like “call mom” and if it doesn’t know your moms name it will ask and then save it for later

oculus rift sued over its name

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/115067-oculus-rift-sued-over-its-name/#entry1538174

- Oculu vs Oculus

- “Unfortunately, [Oculus co-founder Palmer] Luckey, decided that he would simply add an ‘s’ to Oculu’s registered trademark and call his product and online video distribution network, Oculus. It could have adopted any number of trademarks.”

- Oculus = “an eye” in latin

- Claims the products have potential to be too similar and naming could eventually be an issue

- it is possible things like movies or video could be “streamed” to an Oculus product at some point in time

- Supply Side Video/Pre-Roll Monetization Platform for Publishers

Professional, Seamless, and Ad-Free Video Delivery for Businesses       

-Solutions Like: Video Encoding, Video SEO, Video Email, and Syndication

Real Time Video Management and Analytics Available 24/7

- If you google Oculu the first result is Oculus, second is Oculu

- Unlike what some people have been saying they are not a tiny company, they are just enterprise facing instead of consumer facing

ISP combination of comcast and Time warner

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/114961-isp-disaster-in-us-comcast-twc-monopoly/

- "Significantly, it will not reduce competition in any relevant market be because our companies do not overlap or compete with each other," Roberts said. "In fact, we do not operate in any of the same zip code."

- The above statement seems hard to believe, even someone in the comments on our website stated that “they are” the only ones available in his area(user= helping)

- Charter offered $132.50 per share in a cash and stock deal last month that was rejected as too low.

- Comcast argued the acquisition would be beneficial to consumers in that it would roll out its more advanced cloud-based set-top boxes to Time Warner Cable customers.

- It also said the deal would eventually result in higher broadband speeds.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/115006-microsofts-head-of-pc-gaming-calls-it-quits/

http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/news/a550876/steam-adds-feature-that-allows-users-to-tag-games-apps.html

https://twitter.com/TimmyTechTV/status/433646437738352640

From 2/12 until 2/28 @TimmyTechTV will donate $0.10 per new subscriber to @Cocoon_House up to $2500 http://youtube.com/timmytechtv/subscribe … Please share!

- We serve homeless and at-risk youth age 13-21 by providing emergency shelter, long-term transitional housing, case management, advocacy, and prevention.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7742/im-intelligent-memory-to-release-16gb-unregistered-ddr3-modules

AMD Mantle testing discussion

Titan Black and 750 Ti - any rumour sites we can point to?

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/111843-enter-maxwell/

There was a significant dogecoin update making it less rewarding per block and total value rose over 4M making it #3

Titanfall BETA

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/115514-for-those-of-you-want-in-the-titanfall-beta/

- They distributed codes over twitter, so he was served a code and it didn’t work…

- Say it didn’t work? GET A NEW ONE! Good customer service EA…

- I got my beta code, pretty sure there is no NDA UNLIKE ESO so I’ll be streaming, come join me! I’ll try either sat or sunday :D

290X pricing

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/115657-radeon-r9-290x-hits-900-anandtech/

- Surely someone would just buy one from the UK and get it shipped over… can’t imagine it would cost $339 to ship it

- $350 over the 290X’s original launch price of $550, a 64% price bump. Meanwhile the Radeon R9 290 has been similarly affected, with 290 cards starting at $600, $200 (50%) over MSRP.

- at $900, we’re pretty close to a GTX 780 Ti and a Core i5-4670K to go with it.

Flappy freakin bird

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/112936-dong-nguyen-taking-flappy-bird-down/

too much misinformation, would require a massive amount of time to get accurate

50k/? Maybe… we don’t know

http://socialblade.com/youtube/user/LinusTechTips

Took it down for legal reasons? people saying both

He honestly isn’t saying much

Maybe it WAS just the pressure? Totalbiscuit is seeing similar things

http://www.reddit.com/r/Cynicalbrit/comments/1xrx27/in_light_of_tb_abandonning_his_own_subreddit/cfe3rgc

Was he having stolen assets issues with Nintendo over the pipes?

Did he copy the game?

@LinusTech , a slight suggestion. Maybe embed the YouTube archive in each show document? Not that I'm being lazy, but it does seem to make sense in my opinion :)

“The value of a college education is not the learning of many facts but the training of the mind to think”

Soo many rants... I love it

Never trust a hug. Its just a way to hide your face - The Doctor (Sounds something like the grumpy cat would say)

2 Of my topics were featured :D

1st time exarrrr

#internetFamous

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

post-27934-Darth-Vader-If-you-only-knew-

In light of today's WAN show, I think I speak for everyone when I say that we want... NO, we DEMAND that Linus wears the Stormtrooper armor the next time he shoots a video for Tech Tips.

Did I miss something? I never saw anything about Titan Black and 750 Ti in the video.....

Project Tank

CPU: Intel i5 4670k :: Motherboard: Asus Z87 Pro :: RAM: 2x4GB Patroit 1866Mhz Intel Extreme Masters Edition :: GPU: Gigabyte AMD Radeon R9 280X :: Case: Fractal Design Define R2 XL :: Storage: 1TB Western Digital Black,3TB Western Digital Green, 120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD :: PSU: XFX Pro Series Black Edition 850W :: Display(s): LG 23EA63V :: Cooling: Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler.

I made a table of contents for the show. Enjoy.

0:00 - Angriest WAN show ever

1:26 - Intro #1

1:31 - surprise unboxing

10:32 - Intro #2

12:34 - Squarespace promo #1

13:08 - Steam adds “recently updated” section to the store

19:30 - Valve wins, no selling used digital games

22:27 - enthusiasts attitude of frequent updates

25:32 - Digital copies vs physical copies

27:21 - Subscription model becoming feasible for games & software?

34:13 - Google Voice search just got a lot smarter

38:22 - Oculus Rift sued over it’s name

44:49 - ISP combination of Comcast and Time Warner Cable

50:10 - TimmyTechTV donating for charity per subscriber

50:42 - Squarespace promo #2

55:21 - Flappy Bird

58:49 - arguing on the internet etc.

1:04:24 - comments on Twitter

1:09:57 - attention span of the internet

1:10:22 - Radeon 290X pricing

1:14:18 - Google and Foxconn pair up for robotic manufacturing & will lesser jobs disappear?

1:27:59 - Titanfall BETA

1:30:07 - Microsoft’s head of PC gaming calls it quits

Specs: i7-3770K | Asus R9 290X | 32GB DDR3 | GA-Z77-UD5H | RM 750x | Define R5 Arctic White | macOS 10.14.5 & Windows 10

2 Of my topics were featured :D

1st time exarrrr

#internetFamous

I know 'dat feel :D

Did he say your name? Cuz he's allergic to mine.

| Case: NZXT Tempest 210 | CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.9 Ghz | GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX GTX 1070 | RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 8GB |

| Mouse: Zowie FK1 | Monitor: Acer 21.5' | Keyboard: CoolerMaster Stealth w/ Brown Switches |

#KilledMyWife - #LinusButtPlug - #1080penis

Hey Guys,

Where is the guest segment? Do you no longer look out for guests? Or do you not have guests? I would love to see Joshua Topolsky from The Verge!

Automation jobs, programmers, electricians, maintenance, that automated system will need to be taken care of.

I wanted to add a comment about the google robotic system they're adding and how the future would look cause of it. So, here it goes. Sorry, by the way, for making it so long, but I like to share thoughts...

I believe that many people will lose their jobs cause the robots will take their places, but I also believe that this would make people think about trying to educate themselves a lot deeper than before. I don't know how the laws work in North America, if you could get loans and/or contributions from the state to be able to afford the education, but that's pretty much how I have it here in Sweden. We could get loans which we pay back by working in the future with what we educated ourselves to do. You can see it as in Neil Degrasse Tysons' thoughts around wanting more people to educate themselves in scientific areas. All you have to do is keep questioning about everything and not be too lazy to find answers. A problem he sees that parents do is restricting kids from questioning by saying don't do this and don't do that instead of letting them see what happends.

Anyways... the jobs are no longer going to be seen as "jobs/work" in the future either, cause you pretty much do what you want to do (your job is a hobby). Knowledge is not created from a book, it's created from people who question, finds the answer and then write the book - this is something people forget.

As we develop new things and find out more about our world, we will no longer have the need for systems like the economy or things like that. Well... maybe we'll still have it, but it will look different. If we're collecting minerals in space to build stuff, then those are probably the only things that have a price. Since some companies are trying to develop a way to grow food (animals too) through machines, we will basically have free food since the materials are pretty cheap indifference to having a spaceship using lasers to split asteroids. Robots will make free food for us and we will maybe have robots watching them if repairs are needed, or we might need a human or two to do that. The way they are growing animals, though, is pretty much the pieces of meat rather than the whole animal. We've gone pretty far at growing plants/vegetables too since we basically can do it inside the house or ontop of the roofs. We don't need the farm as much, as many might think. We're moving everything into the cities instead.

Humans did not evolve by sitting on their asses and watching videos or playing games (sorry, but it's the truth...) we evolved by questioning and trying to find ways to remove problems or needs. The cavemen did not start to grow food because they felt like it, they did it because they were having problems with not finding enough animals to eat when hunting.

The future will not have pensions, you will work until you can't work anymore. But everyone will be treated as equals and with empathy, so if you can't work as much, you won't have to. You want to do the things you do, answer the question you have no answer for.

Competition (I hope) will disappear and make companies come together and focus on "what brings the best to everyone?" instead of thinking about "what gives me the most money?".

The human race will work together instead of splitting up into countries and forcing eachother into poverty to survive.

Maybe that's just my vision, but it's a vision I hope will succeed. We're all equals, and we should start treating eachother like it. The words by thousands are stronger than the bullet in the gun.

Also... I think people should learn that the difference between a conversation and a dialogue is that the conversation is sharing the emotions, talking crap and trying to brag about being better than the other person rather than treating each other like humans. It doesn't move forward, just repeats over and over again. A dialogue, on the other hand, is about exchanging words with eachother in an orderly way where one asks a question and everyone try to use their oppinions/arguments to find an answer. The dialogue improves the knowledge and everyone (if you haven't already got the answer) enjoys the outcome of it, even if the question didn't get a complete answer but gave some more things to think about. People in the dialogue treat eachother as equals. The dialogue is pretty much why people should communicate more, not the conversation. The dialogue made Einstein look at the trains and find a solution no one else had ever thought of. :)

Edited by WannarN

Even the driest deserts and muddiest lands can grow plants.

Here's my view on not owning games and not being able to resell them.

For as long as I can remember I have been extremely active in the pirating/torrenting community I've even had my own private tracker for a while, and here's why: 
Game developers, movie producers and what have you are asking humongous prices for content you don't even know you'll like. While in the meanwhile they discourage you from watching anything that you got for free through "illegal" channels. This, in my eyes, is purely wrong. Take League of Legends, it is one of the biggest games currently being played yet it is 100% free and paying for anything has no advantages what so ever, yet they do really well. The reason for this is that people are not unwilling to spend money, they just want to make sure they pay for something they like. I personally payed over 100 bucks for LoL that's more then I payed for any other game. Not because I have to but because I enjoy the game and am fully willing to pay for it.

The same goes with movies and any other games. Nowadays you can get cracks of any newly released game in a week. My choice is NOT to buy them the day of release, wait a week, download the crack for free. And then judge whether the game is worth your money. If it is, buy the game. This is a concept that is widely known under those of us that are active in this community and it's something I always add with my own torrents. Get the full feature set for free, but if you like it (and got the money) then pay for it. 
Developers have somehow gotten the idea that we won't except anything unless it is force fed to us. This idea, however, is wrong. In fact, I - and many others - don't accept being force fed anything. If you produce good content that I enjoy enough, then I will support you in your projects, I will spend money on your content and am more then happy to do so. If you however, do not produce good content. Then I won't pay for what you produce, the more people do this the more we force their hands toward creating consumer pleasing content.

Once again; this is NOT an advertisement to piracy, nor is this an attempt to make you realize you don't have to pay for games. Merely is this an attempt to make you realize that the power is still with the consumer and YOU can decide to either pay or not pay for it. Bur ALWAYS remember to BUY it IF YOU LIKE it. Because without your support they won't be able to produce any of it.

In regards to the bloated prices of AMD cards recently I'm having a major issue.

I dislike Nvidia, their business practices and massive push for proprietary hardware and software disgust me. However I am seriously considering them when I can find GTX 770s for almost half the cost of the R9 280x and get slightly better performance in most games. I love AMD(ATI). Their constant choosing to make a product that was comparable and always cheaper made me love them and because of crypto currency I've lost the opportunity and willingness to stay with AMD. I love their products and am crazy excited for Mantle but it's ridiculous that I'd have to pay almost twice as much for lower performance. AMD has lost their price to performance which was pretty much the only reason they were even staying relevant. I'm afraid for AMD and the gaming community in general. Crypto currency is going to die sooner or later and then no one will buy AMD cards anymore and Nvidia will take over. I know that no one wants that and now I'm not sure whether or not I should wait for the death of crypto currency which may or may not happen in the near future or ever.

What should I do?

i registered primarly to say that i found your reflections about automation and robotic workforce very compelling, unbiased , observant and concerned about 

our societies future.

I really love that new table of contents! It is even more convenient than previous. The time and effort behind it... NIce job, guys!

Link in the latest wan archive is wrong.

Correct link:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/119063-february-21st-2014-the-wan-show-document/

I'm dutch, so feel free to correct any spelling mistakes I might make.  I try to do the best I can!

Spoiler

CASE: Fractal Design Define R6 MOBO: Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero (Wi-Fi) CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K GPU: Asus ROG-STRIX-GTX1080TI PSU: Corsair HX1000 V2 MEM: 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200mhz  COOLER: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 500gb +1tb NVME / Samsung 840EVo 1tb / HGST Ultrastar 10tb

I don't see any info online about thief source code leaked? Am I missing something? 

please stop doing better than beiber, just do the topics normally

I really cannot wait until we have a good piece of video chat/voice call/IM software. Everything out there is complete crap.

I would KILL for a newegg here in germany - there are absolutely no retailers here with a decent service, so it's always down to amazon if you want a reliable customer service.

CPU: AMD R5 5600x | Mainboard: MSI MAG B550m Mortar Wifi | RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 Rev E | GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Armor | Case: Xigmatek Aquila | PSU: Corsair RM650i | SSDs: Crucial BX300 120GB | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB | Crucial m500 120GB | HDDs: 2x Seagate Barracuda 4TB | CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 | Casefans: Bitfenix Spectre LED red 200mm (Intake), Bequiet Pure Wings 2 140mm (Exhaust) | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit