4k over HDMI? NO!

spwath

http://www.amazon.com/Seiki-Digital-SE39UY04-39-Inch-Ultra/dp/B00DOPGO2G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392249002&sr=8-1&keywords=4k+tv

Wow... this 4k tv only has HDMI inputs. Whats up with that? HDMI only does 1080p! How u suposed to get 4k??

It also has VGA. shudder

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

http://www.amazon.com/Seiki-Digital-SE39UY04-39-Inch-Ultra/dp/B00DOPGO2G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392249002&sr=8-1&keywords=4k+tv

Wow... this 4k tv only has HDMI inputs. Whats up with that? HDMI only does 1080p! How u suposed to get 4k??

It also has VGA. shudder

No? HDMI can support 4K at 30 Hz IIRC.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Maybe when HDMI can get to the possibility of even ALLOWING 4K Monitors and TV use (as in at a 60Hz or more FPS), it can be feasible, but no, not even the High Speed HDMI's and super advanced HDMI cables can handle it.

Can we just pin a topic that says this TV is garbage... Every day it seems like someone shares a link to it..

"Her tsundere ratio is 8:2. So don't think you could see her dere side so easily."

Planing to make you debut here on the forums? Read Me First!

unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society

Can we just pin a topic that says this TV is garbage... Every day it seems like someone shares a link to it..

Got good reviews on amazon

No? HDMI can support 4K at 30 Hz IIRC.

Oh did know that. Thought it couldent. But who wants 30 Hrz.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

People that just watch TV and movies on their TV and have no need for anything over 30Hz

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6

People that just watch TV and movies on their TV and have no need for anything over 30Hz

I should get it. 120hrz for 1080p. And only 500$ and i could make it 4k for when im not playing games (due to the hrz and my GPU)

If you're just using it for TV and films, 30Hz is technically more than you need. Unless you want to watch the Hobbit properly. 

You can actually get the 48fps version of The Hobbit?

I don't see why you'd get a 4k tv for TV and films, there is literally no media available in that resolution. The consumer uses I can think of that output at that resolution are camcorders, certain online streaming, and pc gaming. As much of an issue the 30Hz limit would be for pc gaming, I don't think it's worth worrying about until there's a gpu that can even render modern games at a playable fps.

I don't see why you'd get a 4k tv for TV and films, there is literally no media available in that resolution.

The consumer uses I can think of that output at that resolution are camcorders

Upscaled 1080p content looks very good.

Digital camera photos look extremely good on them also.

There is 4k content on Youtube (Which has supported it since 2010) and Sony has a 4k movie service.

Samsung has a smartphone with a 4k camera.

I should get it. 120hrz for 1080p. And only 500$ and i could make it 4k for when im not playing games (due to the hrz and my GPU)

Don't... Buy a standard 1080p 120Hz HDTV from a reputable manufacturer (Samsung, LG, Panasonic, etc).

This TV sucks. It has horrible image quality. Don't buy it.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Don't... Buy a standard 1080p 120Hz HDTV from a reputable manufacturer (Samsung, LG, Panasonic, etc).

This TV sucks. It has horrible image quality. Don't buy it.

Amazon customer dont seem to think so. but anyway, i dont have 500$

HDMI is the de facto standard for all home entertainment. HDMI is OK for 30 fps, rev. 1.4 will do up to 120 Hz IIRC. 

What else would they use? DVI? Not really. Displayport? Haven't seen a living room device with displayport on it... have you?

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

HDMI is the de facto standard for all home entertainment. HDMI is OK for 30 fps, rev. 1.4 will do up to 120 Hz IIRC. 

What else would they use? DVI? Not really. Displayport? Haven't seen a living room device with displayport on it... have you?

No we haven't, and it's infuriating because DisplayPort is Royalty free and superior to HDMI in every aspect! Part of the problem is that a lot of the HDTV manufacturers are members for the HDMI Forum.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

people who watch movies..... cause they have around a 30fps playback anyway (from what i remember)

Guys relax ... There are simply no controlers yet which could ouptut 4K@60Hz to a monitor without workarounds anyway ...

All those Dell, Sharp, etc. 4K@60Hz monitors are internally (from the control logic) really only two 1920x2160 monitors

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

With a single cable, it doesn't matter if you use HDMI or DP. They'll both give 4K at a maximum of 30Hz, which is what that TV supports anyways, so it's cheaper and more compatible to use HDMI (when was the last time you seen a blu ray player, game console, TV box, etc. with displayport?). 

And yes, 4K 60Hz monitors are actually two 2K monitors put together. Which is why they use two DP inputs and are two extended monitors as far as the PC is concerned.

"Rawr XD"

With a single cable, it doesn't matter if you use HDMI or DP. They'll both give 4K at a maximum of 30Hz, which is what that TV supports anyways, so it's cheaper and more compatible to use HDMI (when was the last time you seen a blu ray player, game console, TV box, etc. with displayport?). 

And yes, 4K 60Hz monitors are actually two 2K monitors put together. Which is why they use two DP inputs and are two extended monitors as far as the PC is concerned.

I'm pretty sure that DisplayPort 1.2 can 100% perform 4K @ 60Hz over a single cable. It just uses multiple channels within the stream:

3840 × 2160 × 30 bpp @ 60 Hz

This was standardized in 2009.

DisplayPort 1.3 which is expected to be finalized in Q2 2014 will increase the resolution options very significantly over a single cable:

"This will allow 8K resolution video, at either 7680×4320 (16:9, 33.1 megapixels) or 8192×4320 (~17:9, 35.3 megapixels), two 4K streams, or 4K 3D over a single cable."

No, Displayport can transmit 4K @ 60Hz via a single stream, but there are no display controllers who could handle that signal. That is the reason why those 4K computer monitors use the workaround with two display controllers, BUT only ONE Displayport cable (or 2 HDMI cables) ;)

I'm pretty sure that DisplayPort 1.2 can 100% perform 4K @ 60Hz over a single cable. It just uses multiple channels within the stream:

3840 × 2160 × 30 bpp @ 60 Hz

This was standardized in 2009.

Solutions right now use MST and are connected as two 1920x2160@60Hz monitors stichted together in software (i.e. Eyefinity or the NVIDIA eqv.) ;)

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

• 1 month later...

I've been looking at those TV's as well but there does not seem to be any real solid data on them, not sure about the Amazon reviews, any one seen a quality review of these cheap 4K TV's? Looking for solid data not, he said she said's.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

• 2 weeks later...