Good headphones for on-the-go music / Good Sound Card?

Scream

Hey guys, this is my first post here. I was wondering what you guys would think good music headphones are? I listen to mostly Rock (metal, metalcore, punk, alt, pop punk, etc, and some dubstep and dnb). I'm looking for something with good-great sound quality and a set that looks nice/stylish. I was looking at the Razer Adaro DJ and the Razer Adaro Wireless. I can't find any reviews on either, has anyone else tried them out? And how do they compare to other headphones?

Also, I've been needing to ask this for a while so I'm just sticking it here instead of making two threads: I have a set of Astro a40s and an Astro mixamp, and for the longest time, I've needed to get a sound card with surround sound capabilities to run an optical audio cable (or whatever they're called, sorry, I don't know much about audio) to allow the use of surround sound in my Astros. I've run out of space inside my motherboard to add any more cards, but I've been saving some money to upgrade my motherboard for more space if need be to get a good sound card. What do you guys recommend?

You do not want any headphone marketed for gaming; they're all overpriced and sound generally shoddy.  What's your budget?

Specs are on my profile page

Teach a man to fish and he ends up sticking a screw driver in a turned on power supply seeing if it still works.        #KilledMyWifeWithABomb            Resolution is just a number

You do not want any headphone marketed for gaming; they're all overpriced and sound generally shoddy.  What's your budget?

Actually, the Razer Adaro line was designed specifically for music. From what I've read, they worked with the music industry to develop them. It's the only reason I'm considering them. I would never buy something like an Electra. I guess I would set my budget to around 200 USD, I do love my music :)

Actually, the Razer Adaro line was designed specifically for music. From what I've read, they worked with the music industry to develop them. It's the only reason I'm considering them. I would never buy something like an Electra. I guess I would set my budget to around 200 USD, I do love my music :)

Still very far from ideal. 

Custom one pro's or M50X's/M50's on sale might be something you'd like. Off the top of my head I can't think of more. 

Error: 410

I know this gets said ALOT but the ATH-M50 is always brilliant at this low price point. A detachable cable version called the ATH-M50X has also recently been released which could be much better for portability. They're really durable and sound great with good isolation.

Specs are on my profile page

Teach a man to fish and he ends up sticking a screw driver in a turned on power supply seeing if it still works.        #KilledMyWifeWithABomb            Resolution is just a number

Thanks for the suggestions, guys, I'm looking at the Custom One Pro right now (http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/custom/ , right?). Any suggestions for the sound card?

Also, is there any way to customize the COPs before you actually order them, or do you have to order all the parts seperately?

Thanks for the suggestions, guys, I'm looking at the Custom One Pro right now (http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/custom/ , right?). Any suggestions for the sound card?

COP's and Denon d600's are the only decent portable headphones. You don't need a sound card for portable headphones. You'll do more damage than good.

COP's and Denon d600's are the only decent portable headphones. You don't need a sound card for portable headphones. You'll do more damage than good.

The sound card is for my Astro A40s/mixamp on my gaming computer, sorry if I was unclear.

The sound card is for my Astro A40s/mixamp on my gaming computer, sorry if I was unclear.

the mixamp wouldn't need a soundcard, it basically IS a soundcard. just use USB.

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

Yet again, don't bother. 

What sort of connection you are using now? If it is USB/optical, there is no point getting a sound card as it will bypass it anyway. If you are using the headphones directly, probably a separate DAC will be a better option, FiiO E10 would be a good upgrade but you will lose the Dolby Surround thing (Which I don't think is that good anyway)

Main PC:
CPU: 3700x Motherboard: X570  RAM: 2x16GB 3600Mhz GPU: RTX 3080 Case: Corsair 4000D Air Storage: 1TB NVMe 2x250GB SSD RAID 0 2TB HDD PSU: 1000W Gold Display: Acer X34A Peripherals: Corsair K95 RGB Red, Razer Viper Ultimate

Laptop:
Lenovo Thinkbook 13s  CPU: i5-8265U RAM: 8GB  Storage: 256GB SSD Display: Dell P2414H Peripherals: CMStorm Quickfire TK Brown, Razer Atheris 

Audio:
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250 Ohm, FiiO E11, Stoner Acoustics UD100, Shure SE-215, Logitech Z906, Mission 731, Altec Lansing ADA-885, xDuoo UA-05, AKG K7XX,FiiO X3, FiiO K3

the mixamp wouldn't need a soundcard, it basically IS a soundcard. just use USB.

Oh? Then how come when I turn the surround sound button on, it doesn't change the audio in any way?

What sort of connection you are using now? If it is USB/optical, there is no point getting a sound card as it will bypass it anyway. If you are using the headphones directly, probably a separate DAC will be a better option, FiiO E10 would be a good upgrade but you will lose the Dolby Surround thing (Which I don't think is that good anyway)

I'm using USB, but the surround sound button on the mixamp doesn't do anything for some reason :\

Oh? Then how come when I turn the surround sound button on, it doesn't change the audio in any way?

I dunno, but I highly doubt adding a soundcard would make a difference.

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

I'm using USB, but the surround sound button on the mixamp doesn't do anything for some reason :\

Just curious, what do you expect to happen when you turn surround on?

And I just took a look at the A40, the mix is indeed a soundcard on it's own, buying a new soundcard would be a complete waste since is not going to affect the headphones in any way.

Mystery is the source of all true science.

Is your OS audio set to 7.1? Have you tried re-installing driver/software? What method you used to test? 

Main PC:
CPU: 3700x Motherboard: X570  RAM: 2x16GB 3600Mhz GPU: RTX 3080 Case: Corsair 4000D Air Storage: 1TB NVMe 2x250GB SSD RAID 0 2TB HDD PSU: 1000W Gold Display: Acer X34A Peripherals: Corsair K95 RGB Red, Razer Viper Ultimate

Laptop:
Lenovo Thinkbook 13s  CPU: i5-8265U RAM: 8GB  Storage: 256GB SSD Display: Dell P2414H Peripherals: CMStorm Quickfire TK Brown, Razer Atheris 

Audio:
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250 Ohm, FiiO E11, Stoner Acoustics UD100, Shure SE-215, Logitech Z906, Mission 731, Altec Lansing ADA-885, xDuoo UA-05, AKG K7XX,FiiO X3, FiiO K3

Just curious, what do you expect to happen when you turn surround on?

And I just took a look at the A40, the mix is indeed a soundcard on it's own, buying a new soundcard would be a complete waste since is not going to affect the headphones in any way.

I just expected to be able to hear things like, maybe something that's behind me or feel that surround sound feeling. I don't know, I've honestly not had much experience with audio in my life, so maybe surround sound doesn't really make that much of a difference, and I just thought it did :\

Is your OS audio set to 7.1? Have you tried re-installing driver/software? What method you used to test? 

I haven't actually tried that. I can't find the option in windows 7, do you know where it would be?

I just expected to be able to hear things like, maybe something that's behind me or feel that surround sound feeling. I don't know, I've honestly not had much experience with audio in my life, so maybe surround sound doesn't really make that much of a difference, and I just thought it did :\

I haven't actually tried that. I can't find the option in windows 7, do you know where it would be?

Yeah that is how it was already working with good old stereo sound, but you can't hear the difference between something in front and something behind you when all you have are 2 speakers, the companies will tell you that it works, but it doesn't.

Mystery is the source of all true science.

This hopeful can point you to in the right direction http://www.online-tech-tips.com/windows-7/setup-surround-sound-in-windows-7/

Main PC:

Laptop:

Audio:

The "configure" button is greyed out for my Astros under Recording Devices T_T

It's under playback not recording. Recording is for your mic and other sound inputs

Main PC:

Laptop:

Audio:

It's under playback not recording. Recording is for your mic and other sound inputs

I meant playback. 

Anyway, from what I've been reading, it seems you need optical audio plugged into the mixamp to actually get surround. My computer doesn't have an optical port on the back from what I can tell, does this mean i still need to buy a soundcard for that?

EDIT: Actually I just did some searching..my computer has an "SS-out" which from what I can tell is 7.1. Can I put an optical audio cable in that?

I meant playback. 

Anyway, from what I've been reading, it seems you need optical audio plugged into the mixamp to actually get surround. My computer doesn't have an optical port on the back from what I can tell, does this mean i still need to buy a soundcard for that?

EDIT: Actually I just did some searching..my computer has an "SS-out" which from what I can tell is 7.1. Can I put an optical audio cable in that?

EDIT 2: I went back and looked at my manual for my Astros. For Surround Sound to be enabled, I have to have a sound card which supports Dolby Digital Live and has an optical audio port. Since I don't have a sound card with either of those, what would you guys suggest? Should I get an internal or external sound card? What should I do?

If that is the case, you could. But it would a terrible waste of money since it will be bypassed anyway.

IMHO just don't bother with the mixamp unless you really want specific features from it other than surround. As for surround, I prefer razer surround software. Perhaps you can try to use that instead.

What motherboard are you using? Usually they come with either Coaxial Out or Optical Out. You can buy a coax-to-optical toslink converter that will do the job.

Main PC:

Laptop:

Audio:

but you can't hear the difference between something in front and something behind you when all you have are 2 speakers, the companies will tell you that it works, but it doesn't.

Yes you can.

By that logic, we only have two years so we can't hear the difference between front and back.

Sound processing will enable pretty accurately emulated 360 sound spectrum. That's all advertised 7.1/5.1 headsets are. 

Error: 410