SLI & Crossfire in the Same PC at the Same Time??

I would freaking love to see Nvidia and AMD opening up to each other and letting the other implement the technologies.

I hate the fact that someone can't use PhysX if he/she's using an AMD card as the primary video card and an Nvidia card as a dedicated PhysX card... at least not without some weird replacing and hacking of files...

Or G-Sync with AMD cards or Mantle or True Audio with Nvidia...

Have we gotten to the point where performance doesn't matter and the additional features are more important? Why the hell is it that way and why the hell can't they just differentiate in performance and NOTHING else???

Main Rig: Intel Core i7-4790K - Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK - Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3X 2GB OC - Corsair XMS3 16GB 1333MHz - Samsung 850 Pro 256GB, Transcend SSD370 512GB, WD RE4 500GB, WD Red 2TB - EVGA SuperNova 850-G2

What if you had a Kaveri apu with say a 780 Ti, would you be able to run mantle and G-sync? 

It's a fascinating situation.

Nvidia would probably support Mantle, because it would pretty much take away AMD's primary advantage, adding it to their own proprietary crap (notably, G-Sync).

Intel would benefit as well, since they are so invested in APUs currently, and it would allow their APUs to be actually usable for gaming.

The only one that has to lose from opening Mantle is AMD currently, which is why I really wonder if they're gonna follow on the promise.

well either way amd would lose b/c if they don't open mantle to NV or intel then it will fade into irrelevancy b/c mantle would isolate 2/3 of the market. That why each side needs to fork up each technology to the other. On another note agree that intel could benefit strongly from mantle and would probably be the likeliest to adopt mantle.

CPU amd phenom ii x4 965 @ 3.4Ghz | Motherboard msi 970a-g46 | RAM 2x 4GB Team Elite | GPU XFX Radeon HD 7870 DD | Case NZXT Gamma Classic | HDD 750 GB Hitachi | PSU ocz modxstream pro 600w

i'm just thinking:

do a complete high end full out build xD watercool the god damn thing, stress it out, i wanna see that kind of beast using every thing it's got. Should be cool to watercool it.
would you do all gpu's together or not? because those r9's get massivly hot, they wouldn't really "cool" the 780 ti's. I guess heat is more the issue for me :P

I mean, if i had the money and i would find a way to easy switch between crossfire & sli, i would do it, same reason people do build log's with titans.
I can do it, so i do it :D

We all know it's to much to ask to do a real build log on this option, but still...  IT WOULD BE AWESOME!!!

I7 3930K @4.4 GHz  /  Asus rampage 4 formula  / 4x 8gb kingston hyperx blue low profile / gtx 980  / 2x ssd 500gb samsung 840 / 500gb 840evo ssd   /  500 GB WD blue /  windows 7 ultimate
my build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/133477-750d-finished/

you mean the professional cards like Quadro and FirePro?

but those card cost as much as the test rig

Yeah ~ but even the mid range ones offer up to 4 times better performance with CAD and Editing software when compared to flagship consumer cards.

Cost isn't a problem when you are using them in an enterprise and making money of them rather than use them for entertainment.

Hello, if this type of configuration is possible does that mean you could have a a GtX graphics card and a Professional graphics card eg a 780 and a quadro/Firepro

Hello, if this type of configuration is possible does that mean you could have a a GtX graphics card and a Professional graphics card eg a 780 and a quadro/Firepro

Of course, that will give you best of both worlds and if you have a 10 bit display you can use your Professional card to show you all of 68 billion colors on your monitor while being able to use the best of CAD software and awesome gaming capabilities.

I wish they'd all work together and make wonderful feature filled GPUS.

Both companies do it in wildly differnet ways as AMD does it by simple cores or " Streaming Processors " which are great at simple AND, OR, NOR, or XOR tasks with only 1 input stream at a time while nVidia does it through complex cores which do AND, OR, NOR, or XOR but with mutliple input streams at a time making how they do it very differnet from one another but of course if they went together and built a dual GPU card with 1 GPU with Streaming processors and 1 with CUDA cores it would go better but cost aton more and be a pain to code for even though haveing all the advatages of both the devloper codeing for it, if he/she wanted to take advateage of it all, would have to find out how to use both simple and complex at the same time as CUDA and OpenCL things atm are exclusive from one another in which if you have a graphcis card with one being streaming processors and one being CUDA you could have all the advateages of both but also all the disadavateages of a dual GPU and of only being able to use some of both if you plan on allowing your game to run on systems without both in it also in that if you use all of both the heat generated from it would be huge as if they did that then i dobt nVidia would have any concern to the laws saying it couldnt just crush AMDs graphics cards and would release martox into the market to have stacked memory while AMD has a version for sharing memory more effecently between the system and the GPU while bypassing the CPU in it in that it would have more RAM to work with and more computeing power but most of it will not be ultized for a while until the devlopers are able to exploit all the features at once without haveing one turn off becuase of another and just reprogram it to go to the simple cores or the complex cores GPU to get the best preformance.

Now with the technical stuff out of the way it would be cool if we could have all the advatages of both in one card but there are anti-trust laws, anti monoploy laws, etc. etc. saying they cant do that even though it would progress the desktop market about 2 or 3 generations at once if it was done ... hopefully they will make something like that on the side and split the profits for the ppl willing to pay huge amounts for a dual GPU card with everything from both but i dobt it and i dobt it would ever take off also

I didn't even know you could CrossFire and SLI in the same compute so I'm still a little shocked about that.  :lol:

yes you can and it has been done with a Radeon 4660 and SLI  2x 460s  it is on the nVidia forums though they did report a ton of problems between the drivers as they were using them both at the same time and Linus is useing them independently of one another. If he was using them at the same time that would be a shocker and a big thing to look into

few people would watch factual content? like techquickie? or the wan show? people like hearing what you have to say regardless of what it is. the show people want to watch is whatever you put up, that's why they're subscribed

considering you had a system right infront of you to do things like - back to back comparisions of X game running with Physx On and Off, Mantlevs DirectX, TressFX on and Off, the very things you opened the video with

it would have been

- Informative (especially to NEW, non-subscribed viewers - someone new to tech wants to know the differences, now people would share this video and get you more views, and potentially more subs/forum discussion)

- Insightful comparison of said technologies

- spurred discussion (I just saw ___ vs ___ tech, I'm posting what I felt was better on this forum link)

- still entertaining

- strengthened your argument/point, which would spur more comments and discussion

instead, the build was just there to look at....cool?

- Which people? Because, new viewers won't find this video of any importance to them and they'll just move on. Again, if it's your subscribers, they'll watch anything you put up - that's why they're subscribers

- And it was merely a message. Not a discussion/debate stirring video - most of the people arguing about it are the same people that have been arguing about it regardless

my point being - potential was wasted in this build (or the content of the video around said build - same point either way)

You've missed the point. All of the stuff you suggested has been done 100x before. This was something legitimately new and different. The purpose was to see if it works. The result was interesting, unexpected, and factual.

Maybe that's the problem here. Do you think that I was making this up? There's nothing less factual about this video than any Tech Quickie or any other video we make. It actually worked.

Interesting, maybe you could a gt 610 to it. That would boost the performance by around 40%

Hey! I have one of these there not that bad... if you have and old mb with no integrated gpu support. 

The Cake is a Lie...

Hey! I have one of these there not that bad... if you have and old mb with no integrated gpu support. 

Well I guess that it's better then a potato

You've missed the point. All of the stuff you suggested has been done 100x before. This was something legitimately new and different. The purpose was to see if it works. The result was interesting, unexpected, and factual.

Maybe that's the problem here. Do you think that I was making this up? There's nothing less factual about this video than any Tech Quickie or any other video we make. It actually worked.

no, my point in a nutshell is

the findings you present from this build is only helpful to those who would think to attempt the same thing (sli + crossfire), which is few

in addition, the build could have been used to do back to back comparisions of said proprietary technologies that you complain about being proprietary - which would have strengthened your point. "which screen do you prefer - isn't it silly we can't have both?" kind of thing

I still enjoyed it. but considering how there are tons of people out there asking gsync vs mantle and such, and we would all just speculate and argue. you put together a system to do said comparision, but missed the opportunity to put it in the video.

Nice work Linus. And I agree with the whole Exclusives thing you were talking about. Im currently debating about getting a 270 or a 760. It's put my faith in Mantle(I don't play BF4 so I'm waiting for other titles) or G-Sync. I think I'll be going with Nvidia because they have already proven that their technologies work and I can't say the same thing about AMD.

I thought you didn't believe in 4-Way CrossSLI? :P

Go 760. It can run bf4 really well right now and I don't see many more mantle games coming for awhile. Plus can't go wrong with dat G-sync.

(sneezes) "Sorry I'm allergic to bullshit"

• 2 months later...

780 Ti

NCIX: http://bit.ly/1gSdgSB

Amazon: http://georiot.co/mi6

R9 290X

NCIX: http://bit.ly/1c9eSQh

Amazon: http://georiot.co/21Ov

To enjoy all the best vendor exclusive technologies, we built a PC that runs SLI with two GTX 780 Ti's and Crossfire with two R9 290X's at the same time. If that sounds ridiculous, that's because it is... But not because it didn't work...

Hi, Mr. LinusTechTips

Can I have a list of complete parts used in this build?

Or at least the motherboard and case?

Thanks

That is so awesome but wouldnt those cards smashed up against each other mess up the pins on those cards and wouldnt that run hot because one 290x runs hot enough alone and what would be awesome is 2 295X2 in sli + 2 TITAN Blacks in sli

I'm looking to do this but only use AMD all the time as they have the better support for multi-monitor (more than 3 monitors), also I want the NVidia card in my machine for cuda and physX.

I am aware that the AMD card(s) would need to be in the first PCI slot, and Nvidia in any other slot and the amd drivers would need to be install then nvidia drivers but that's as far as I'm aware of getting something like this to work.   If it really weren't for Nvidia's surround limitation or the crazy price of a quadro I probably wouldn't look for this type of solution. 

I'm Batman!

Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Project Xenos: Motherboard: MSI Z170a M9 ACK | CPU: i7 6700k | Ram: G.Skil TridentZ 16GB 3000mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850w G2 | Case: Caselabs SMA8 | Cooling: Custom Loop | Still in progress 

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm looking to do this but only use AMD all the time as they have the better support for multi-monitor (more than 3 monitors), also I want the NVidia card in my machine for cuda and physX.

I am aware that the AMD card(s) would need to be in the first PCI slot, and Nvidia in any other slot and the amd drivers would need to be install then nvidia drivers but that's as far as I'm aware of getting something like this to work.   If it really weren't for Nvidia's surround limitation or the crazy price of a quadro I probably wouldn't look for this type of solution. 

I know this is an older post but,

Have you or anyone else for that matter been able to successfully recreate this? I have tried to find any sort of guidance but with no luck.

• 1 month later...

First off, I'm sorry about bringing up a dead topic, but I am having a lot of trouble finding answers on this.

I was wondering how you got the drivers to work, and if all features were accessible. I heard that nvidia blocks out its features if there is an amd card plugged in as well. The reason why I ask is that I am considering buying an amd card as the primary, and then upgrade to a nvidia card as the primary later. I don't want the amd card to become useless (because at the very least I can mine for bitcoins), but if I plug it in I don't want to lose stuff like gamestream and physX.

I understand that this is a long shot by posting into such an old topic, but if anyone is able to help I would greatly appreciate it.

First off, I'm sorry about bringing up a dead topic, but I am having a lot of trouble finding answers on this.

I was wondering how you got the drivers to work, and if all features were accessible. I heard that nvidia blocks out its features if there is an amd card plugged in as well. The reason why I ask is that I am considering buying an amd card as the primary, and then upgrade to a nvidia card as the primary later. I don't want the amd card to become useless (because at the very least I can mine for bitcoins), but if I plug it in I don't want to lose stuff like gamestream and physX.

I understand that this is a long shot by posting into such an old topic, but if anyone is able to help I would greatly appreciate it.

In DX12, apparently you'll be able to use both AMD and Nvidia cards together, how this is just rumour based. As for the whole using both at once, I believe Nvidia drivers will work with the presence of AMD drivers too.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

• 1 year later...