Bitcoin Q & A - Ask Me Anything

Hey travis, might be a stupid question here, you mentioned 2 different gpu. Do you mean two different gpus in one mobo?? No conflicts? How does it work when gaming? Which gpu do you attach you monitor/s to?

Main Gaming Rig/Folding Machine: Core i7 3770k @ 4.7GHz / H100 with Sickleflow Fans/ Corsair 600t / XFX 6950 / 16GB DDR3

Folding/Media PC: AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE/ Fractal Design Core 1000 / 4GB DDR2 

Ultrabook : Samsung NP530 Ultrabook. 

Typically you attach monitors to the primary GPU - which should be the most power. This will also be the one used by games. This is typically the first PCI-e x16 slot on a board.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

Typically you attach monitors to the primary GPU - which should be the most power. This will also be the one used by games. This is typically the first PCI-e x16 slot on a board.

I see, thanks! So there wont be any problems if say, i drop a 5770 with a 6950?? Or an nvidiia card and an amd card?

Main Gaming Rig/Folding Machine: Core i7 3770k @ 4.7GHz / H100 with Sickleflow Fans/ Corsair 600t / XFX 6950 / 16GB DDR3

Same brand cards, should be fine. Not sure about different brands. I know the new Folding client can have some issues with AMD and NVidia on the same rig. Not impossible, but can be a real pain. Best to stick with same brand if possible.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Same brand cards, should be fine. Not sure about different brands. I know the new Folding client can have some issues with AMD and NVidia on the same rig. Not impossible, but can be a real pain. Best to stick with same brand if possible.

Thanks! Im assuming if I drop another GPU on my rig to mine coins on the my off gaming time, then it should be fine right? 

"should" be, yes. :)

I see, thanks! So there wont be any problems if say, i drop a 5770 with a 6950?? Or an nvidiia card and an amd card?

I use a 680 and a 7850. There are no issues running different brands. The 7850 isn't being used by any display, it only mines.

so how do i mine litecoins instead of bitcoins

(i use cg miner)

Intel i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz                               DCUII GTX 680                            16GB Corsair Vengeance RAM

Sabertooth Z77 ATX                                      WD Caviar Blue 500GB+ 1TB      Corsair Obsidian 750D

Corsair TX850M Watt PSU                            Bad Custom Water Cooling          Samsung 840 Pro SSD

In the case of Litecoins, what would I be able to use to mine those?

In the case of Litecoins, what would I be able to use to mine those?

https://github.com/litecoin-project/litecoin/wiki/Mining-hardware-comparison

That link will tell you what to expect from various hardware mining in terms of K/Hash.

CGminer is the top gpu miner for both bitcoin and litecoin in my opinion.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Users cannot, and will not securely manage key material. Most users can't and the ones that can, wont.

Ask me about Bitcoin, Litecoin, Crypto-Currencies, and/or Mining them.

• 4 weeks later...

can you explain what the hell im doing or point me in the right direction? ive got everything set up (i think) but theres something niggling at me in the back of my head that feels very naughty about this, call me a wimp or anything else you like but my pc is apparently making me money while im not even using it and all i can think about is there being this really funky catch or me havng a knock on the door :/

can you explain what the hell im doing or point me in the right direction? ive got everything set up (i think) but theres something niggling at me in the back of my head that feels very naughty about this, call me a wimp or anything else you like but my pc is apparently making me money while im not even using it and all i can think about is there being this really funky catch or me havng a knock on the door :/

There is nothing "naughty" about it. Bitcoins are a very complicated crypto-currency that the United States treasurary itself has said to be a legal currency.

Your not exactly pulling the bitcoins out of thin air though, it takes a lot of work to generate one and to keep the network going. Not to mention the electricity it requires for a machine to mine it.

Here are the main things to keep in mind when mining, and why doing so is perfectly legal:

1:

If your not running an ASIC farm, the main thing your computer is doing is helping to maintain the BitCoin network by valaditating the transactions. When you make a transaction in bitcoins you pay a small fee, and the "miners" who approve/confirm the transaction get that fee.

2:

When mining a bitcoin, your computer is "guessing" randomly trying to find the correct hash for a bitcoin that isnt mined yet. The rate that ALL BitCoins are mined is fixed. So even if everyone switched to ASIC's tomorrow the amount of bitcoins being mined would remain about the same.

What changes when the network gets more powerfull is the difficulty it is to mine the bitcoins. The difficulty also guides the inflatioary curve (to keep the value of the bitcoin somewhat under controll).

This may help you understand BitCoins and Mining them: http://bitcoin.org/en/how-it-works

And if you would like a more in-depth look at them check this out: http://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf

hope this helps

~Judah

best setup for mining?

i5 3470 | MSI B75MA P45 | 8GB Value Ram | Plextor M5S 128GB | Sapphire 7850 | WD Blue 1TB | SF 600W Gold | CM Storm Scout II

Sorry to anyone who has asked questions but a big thank you to the other helpful members who have replaced me in answering them. I am having trouble finding time to visit these forums and stay active on them.

best setup for mining?

The best setup right now would be an ASIC miner such as the popular Butterfly Labs miners. They are hard to get though due to their scarcity and low production rates. Also companies that make these miners can't mass produce them and send out thousands per day or else Bitcoins will be ruined.

Otherwise as far as video cards go, newest 7000 series or if you can manage to find a cheap 5000 series from AMD, you are in business.

the only real world drawbacks is that

A.)you will get a higher electricity bill, as your card will be at heavy load and consuming more wattage while mining, when normally it would be idling and using less power (thermal issues come into play)

and

B.)the hardware required to get feasible results is expensive, $200+ for at least like 200 Mh/s (ATI of course 7000 series)

So I mined 0.6 or so BTC, and my SSD with my wallet on it bit the dust. 

I have an early copy of my wallet. As in, it's my wallet, but from right after I made it. If I let the wallet program download the blockchain, will it say I have my BTC? Or is it just gone?

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

So I mined 0.6 or so BTC, and my SSD with my wallet on it bit the dust. 

I have an early copy of my wallet. As in, it's my wallet, but from right after I made it. If I let the wallet program download the blockchain, will it say I have my BTC? Or is it just gone?

You will still have yout BTC once it updated the blockchain.  :)

You will still have yout BTC once it updated the blockchain.  :)

WOOOO! Thanks :D. 

BTC has been dropping price lately. :( Oh well, I get what I can get. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

does this make any sense at all? depending on ones GPU setup one could easily need an additional 100-200W to keep it running.. for me it seems like the money you make by mining is not as much as the money you spend on the additional power consumption, right?

does this make any sense at all? depending on ones GPU setup one could easily need an additional 100-200W to keep it running.. for me it seems like the money you make by mining is not as much as the money you spend on the additional power consumption, right?

This depends on where you live, ad the cost of power. I live in northern idaho where power is only $0.07/KWH you can proffit. But if power costs too much more you will lose money.

~Judah

didnt expect power prices being that nice anywhere... in germany we have an average of about €0.28 = $0.37/kWh which is brutal. and half of that is taxes and stuff  :mellow:

You should sign up in a pool. You wont make any money otherwise. I use SLUSH'S POOL.

You also need mining software. I use GUIMINER. Just enter the information you got for your mining pool and the device you want to mine on (Radeon cards work best).

After this you will need a BitCoin Wallet. If you have internet data caps you should look for online wallets because you will download about 10GB worth of data. But the wallet i use can be found HERE.

After this your set. Dont expect to earn much money, but here you go.

~Judah

I've only used GUIMiner and it works well for me.

What do you mean how many? If you mean me personally, I don't mine bitcoins anymore. I mine Litecoins, which are similar.

Mining for sure.

I love folding and support it 100%. I prefer the option to get something back from my processing (money).

Why do you do litecoin mining now, is it better, how can we get started?????  Also do amd gpu's still have an advantage with lite coin mining as well

Desktop:  Cpu:                     3570K @ 4.2Ghz                    Graphics:          Windforce GTX 970             PSU: 1000 Watt EVGA             

Motherboard:       MSI GD55 Z77                        SSD:                 120gb patriot pyro se          KB:    K70 RGB                                     

Ram:                    8gb 2133MHz G skill               HDD:                 4 Tb                                    Mouse: M65 RGB