Bitcoin Q & A - Ask Me Anything

So I have a pc at home not doing anything 26 days a month, I don't know any more than the previous sticky thread about Bitcoin.

What is a good place for me to learn on how to turn my pc into something useful?

If you want to make that pc usefull have it Folding or running BOINC, coin mining is dead.

If you want info there are FAQ's at the top of this subforum. 

Folding@Home: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/207857-for-folding-users-tips-tricks-and-faq-updated-aug-2014/

BOINC: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/151235-official-ltt-boinc-faq-guide/

Alright thanks ;) I ll get on that

Intel 5820K ¬ ASUS x99 Deluxe ¬ HyperX Predator 3000Mhz 16gb ¬ Gigabyte Titan X ¬ SuperFlow Leadex 850W ¬ Crucial Mx100 512Gb x2 RAID 0 ¬ NZXT H440 + HUE + X61 ¬ ASUS ROG Swift

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I know this sounds really noobish but is bitcoin more viable than litecoin when mining with something like a 290x Or the upcoming 390x? or is it the other way round? Also, if I were to buy a 390x would it be worth it to jump into mining? Or have I missed the bus on this one? Also, how long would it take to mine a bitcoin/litecoin on a 290x?

Sorry, kinda spammed that but any help would be appreciated. Cheers guys.

Ok, I know this sounds really noobish but is bitcoin more viable than litecoin when mining with something like a 290x Or the upcoming 390x? or is it the other way round? Also, if I were to buy a 390x would it be worth it to jump into mining? Or have I missed the bus on this one? Also, how long would it take to mine a bitcoin/litecoin on a 290x?

Sorry, kinda spammed that but any help would be appreciated. Cheers guys.

Neither gpu's are feasible for mining anymore, you missed the bus by a year or two. 

Only dedicated ASIC miners are worth it, if you have a lot of them. 

Neither gpu's are feasible for mining anymore, you missed the bus by a year or two.

Only dedicated ASIC miners are worth it, if you have a lot of them.

Aww that's such a shame! I was really looking forward to mining.

Can I have all your Bitcoins?

Main PC: 4690k, LMG Edition G1 Gaming GTX 980, 16GB Hyper X Fury, Asus Z97-A, EVGA G2 850W, Crucial MX100 128GB, WD Red 1TB 2.5", Dark Rock 3

Laptop: Asus UX305 Monitor: Asus PB278Q Keyboard: Filco Majestouch 2 TKL Mouse: Corsair M65

• 1 month later...

I have free electricity, what do i do and how much money will my rig make?

PC Part Picker: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/hZCypg  ProcessorIntel Core i7 6700k ; MOBO: Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5RAMCorsair Dominator Platinum 16GB 2400 MHz (spray painted the top part red); GPUGTX 1070 - Gigabyte Variant (Custom painted the Cooler and Fans Red); Case: NZXT S340 (Red); PSUCX 750W  (Bronze 80+); SSD: Crucial 256GB (Boot drive and for applications) and Sandisk 480GB Extreme pro SSD and a Samsung T3 1TB External USB-C SSDHDDWD Blue 1TB, Seagate 3TB (Both Run at 7200RPM); Displays: Asus something (1080p @ 144hz) and LG 27UD68-W 4K 60Hz IPSLaptop: Dell XPS 15 9550 (i7 6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 256 SSD, GTX 960M)

I have free electricity, what do i do and how much money will my rig make?

Lets say you get a great deal on AntMiner S5's, and buy 3 for $1000.

You will break even in 130 days at the current difficulty. Adjusting for the difficulty increase, you should break even withen a year.

http://www.coinwarz.com/calculators/bitcoin-mining-calculator/?h=3000.00&p=0.00&pc=0.10&pf=0.00&d=49692386354.89380000&r=25.00000000&er=248.94000000&hc=1000

OR

You buy a few BTC and trade wisely. Watch the market. Buy when low, sell when high. Personally, i made more money doing this than actually mining. And that was when it was actually profitable to mine them.

~Judah

Lets say you get a great deal on AntMiner S5's, and buy 3 for $1000.

You will break even in 130 days at the current difficulty. Adjusting for the difficulty increase, you should break even withen a year.

http://www.coinwarz.com/calculators/bitcoin-mining-calculator/?h=3000.00&p=0.00&pc=0.10&pf=0.00&d=49692386354.89380000&r=25.00000000&er=248.94000000&hc=1000

OR

You buy a few BTC and trade wisely. Watch the market. Buy when low, sell when high. Personally, i made more money doing this than actually mining. And that was when it was actually profitable to mine them.

aight, i am a total noob, idk any of this... I want to make money buying and selling bitcoins... where do I go to safely buy bitcoins and make sure that I am NOT getting scammed

PC Part Picker: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/hZCypg  ProcessorIntel Core i7 6700k ; MOBO: Gigabyte GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5RAMCorsair Dominator Platinum 16GB 2400 MHz (spray painted the top part red); GPUGTX 1070 - Gigabyte Variant (Custom painted the Cooler and Fans Red); Case: NZXT S340 (Red); PSUCX 750W  (Bronze 80+); SSD: Crucial 256GB (Boot drive and for applications) and Sandisk 480GB Extreme pro SSD and a Samsung T3 1TB External USB-C SSDHDDWD Blue 1TB, Seagate 3TB (Both Run at 7200RPM); Displays: Asus something (1080p @ 144hz) and LG 27UD68-W 4K 60Hz IPSLaptop: Dell XPS 15 9550 (i7 6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 256 SSD, GTX 960M)

i use coinbase.com for buying/selling because they have a super easy setup and good support.

btc-e.com is best for tradeing. They also have a decent API if you want to make a trade-bot.

~Judah

• 4 months later...

If I were to mine on a liquid cooled 390x and 3930k, what type of cryptocurrency could I mine for the best value? I have heard litecoins are good for AMD cards because they are asic resistant? Is this true? Also, is there an easy way to convert cryptocurrencies? IE convert litecoins to bitcoins?

If I were to mine on a liquid cooled 390x and 3930k, what type of cryptocurrency could I mine for the best value? I have heard litecoins are good for AMD cards because they are asic resistant? Is this true? Also, is there an easy way to convert cryptocurrencies? IE convert litecoins to bitcoins?

Yes the scrypt coins are going to be better for mining. But, even for a 390x, you're not look going to be looking at a big return on litecoin. Converting coins probably will be easiest through an exchange like Cryptsy. I think you can still make an "unverified" account that allows you to trade coins and then deposit/withdraw. You can even deposit USD but you need to be verified for that but I do Coinbase for USD->BTC. Let me know if you decide to sign up as there might be a referral credit for both.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

• 3 weeks later...

Most of the Bitcoin Sites that are mentioned in this post are " Not Secure Connection " by firefox.

Ryzen 5 3600 | MSI B450 Tomahawk Max | Corsair Vengeance lpx 32gb 3600mhz | EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING | XPG Core Reactor 850w

• 2 weeks later...

I am from Philippines and im interested in Bitcoin.

I will purchase new PC this December.

Specs:

Pentium G3258

Asus B85M

R9 380

8 GB RAM

My PC is open 16hrs a day and I mostly just browse the web and watch videos so maybe I could earn money with bitcoins.

Around how much can I earn with these specs per day or per week?

The price of electricity here is around $0.27/kwh

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X | MOBO: Gigabyte B550 Vision D | RAM: Crucial Ballistix RGB 32GB 3600MHz | GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision D | PSU: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 750W

• 9 months later...
On 4/27/2013 at 3:25 AM, Travis said:

I have a sticky thread about the introduction to bitcoins here.

To keep things clean I am opening a different thread for you guys to ask questions. Whether it be about mining, the currency, anything.

Hopefully others who are knowledgeable in bitcoins can answer any questions I do not know as well.

Id, like to ask if I could have you help, do you have steam by any chance?