Gran Turismo 6 looks amazing for 8 year old hardware(HiRes Pics)

XTankSlayerX

Don't underestimate Sonys fist party developer they are... THE BEST

Polyphony has been my childhood, ive got a stupid amount of time in gt4.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Still images and a game in motion are completely different things.

Also go and look at the early Forza 5 footage from  E3 and then go and look at what it really looks like on XB1.   I will eat my own shoe if GT6 looks like that in motion running on an actual PS3.

I was playing it on my PlayStation yesterday.

It really does look like that whilst you're playing it. It's an utterly jaw droppingly good looking game.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

If they optimized a game for hardware like a 4770k and 780 Ti... Man, everything would look beautiful in a game. Even the sidewalks would hint beauty.

It's amazing that developers got so far with consoles in terms of graphics.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

If they optimized a game for hardware like a 4770k and 780 Ti... Man, everything would look beautiful in a game. Even the sidewalks would hint beauty.

It's amazing that developers got so far with consoles in terms of graphics.

Indeed.

And it proves a point in my eyes. In spite of all the hate consoles receive for not being powerful enough and all of the "#pcmasterrace" rubbish, there aren't any car games available on PC that are significantly better looking than GT6. Marginally better at most. Which is equal parts impressive on the part of GT6 and disappointing for us PC gamers - why oh why are we not seeing much better looking games when we have superior hardware?

Whiskers, on 25 Feb 2014 - 11:59 AM, said:

Indeed.

And it proves a point in my eyes. In spite of all the hate consoles receive for not being powerful enough and all of the "#pcmasterrace" rubbish, there aren't any car games available on PC that are significantly better looking than GT6. Marginally better at most. Which is equal parts impressive on the part of GT6 and disappointing for us PC gamers - why oh why are we not seeing much better looking games when we have superior hardware?

I feel your pain... The worst part of PC "Master race" is that a lot of people bash consoles just because their not PC's...

More Eye candy... I think that the poly's are there but reflections aren't great..

12780917174_b11eaf6bcc_h.jpg

• 7 months later...

Nice thread necro.

It's amazing what PD got out of the old hardware, I hope they achieve the same with GT7 (hopefully with better sounds and more customization). Even though consoles have weaker hardware, some games tend to look better than they do on PCs, especially in terms of lighting and art design. That's why Project Cars will never look as realistic as Driveclub (full game looks astonishing).

144Hz goodness

Nice thread necro.

It's amazing what PD got out of the old hardware, I hope they achieve the same with GT7 (hopefully with better sounds and more customization). Even though consoles have weaker hardware, some games tend to look better than they do on PCs, especially in terms of lighting and art design. That's why Project Cars will never look as realistic as Driveclub (full game looks astonishing).

Yeah it makes you think, if that can be done on a machine with around 400-450MB of ram and now dated GPU, what could PD do with ~5GB of ram and a GPU 8-10x more powerful. Driveclub is a damn good indicator and could/probably will improve as the gen continues

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I agree, it looks amazing on such old hardware

15220926140_9c07a9bcbc_c.jpgTsukuba Circuit by montoyatok, on Flickr

15384555756_60a07c25a9_c.jpgTsukuba Circuit_2 by montoyatok, on Flickr

I had a 55" 1080p panel in the lounge, brought my mates PS3 over and hooked it up for some GT6. Great night of Gaming.

Even dialed in my Picture settings like Saturation/Sharpening/DNR on the TV further and HOLY SHIT it looked good

I know the game isn't native 1080p and is in photo mode, but I was so very very happy but very upset I didn't have a capture card handy.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Yeah it makes you think, if that can be done on a machine with around 400-450MB of ram and now dated GPU, what could PD do with ~5GB of ram and a GPU 8-10x more powerful. Driveclub is a damn good indicator and could/probably will improve as the gen continues

This is probably one of the few reasons I'll upgrade to the PS4

Geek and Subie Fan

256MB. ;)

It will be very interesting to see the next iteration of Gran Turismo. But then

again if GT5 was any indication we could be waiting a looooong time. :(

256MB. ;)

It will be very interesting to see the next iteration of Gran Turismo. But then

again if GT5 was any indication we could be waiting a looooong time. :(

Its actually 512MB total with a 256/256 split for the CPU and GPU. XDR ram for the CPU and GDDR3 for GPU. the 400-450MB is for OS over head, not sure what the final usage was towards the end.

But your post would make the PS3s graphics all the more impressive to be honest :P

Yeah, waiting for the next one to come out on the PS4....You would hope that they would salvage as much from the premium car set and bring them over. The models them selves are immaculately detailed, all they need is a texture res boost and a shader upgrade and they would be probably more detailed than most new car game models. 

Its actually 512MB total with a 256/256 split for the CPU and GPU. XDR ram for the CPU and GDDR3 for GPU. the 400-450MB is for OS over head, not sure what the final usage was towards the end.

But your post would make the PS3s graphics all the more impressive to be honest :P

Yeah, waiting for the next one to come out on the PS4....You would hope that they would salvage as much from the premium car set and bring them over. The models them selves are immaculately detailed, all they need is a texture res boost and a shader upgrade and they would be probably more detailed than most new car game models. 

Indeed. But VRAM != RAM - the PS3 only had 256MB of RAM, and 256MB

of VRAM. Unlike the Xbox 360, the PS3's memory pools were completely

static, not unified - so although it had as much memory overall as the Xbox

it was much more restricting for developers to actually use. PS3 also

reserves 50MB of RAM for the OS, whilst the Xbox 360 reserves only 32MB. :)

In addition, the RSX (Reality Synthesizer, the PS3's GPU)  was not as strong

as the Xenos GPU contained in the Xbox 360. If a developer were to create

a game for both consoles and utilise each device's hardware in the

traditional way then the PS3 will fall behind. Developers can get around this

problem by employing the Cell CPU to boost the capabilities of the RSX -

this is done in Gran Turismo 6 for example, and the majority of other first

party titles for the platform.

An interesting thing about the PS3 is that it was originally not intended to

have a GPU at all. Sony initially chose to make use of the Cell Broadband

Engine owing to its considerable processing power and remarkably high

floating point performance - they intended to have only a Cell CPU in the

console which would be responsible for handling both normal processing

tasks in addition to all graphical processing tasks. The decision  to add a

dedicated GPU came relatively late into the PS3's development cycle,

which some believe is the reason why the resultant chip (the RSX) was so

weak.

In short - the PS3 was actually weaker than the Xbox 360 in general. The

only part of it which was better was the CPU - and thankfully it really was

quite a lot more powerful. :P

Polyphony has been my childhood, ive got a stupid amount of time in gt4.

The second game I ever owned was the original Gran Turismo. I easily spent an entire year on that game. Then when I got a PS2 for my 7th birthday I was playing Gran Turismo 2 and nothing else for a year until Gran Turismo 3 arrived. I bought a PS3 at launch just for Gran Turismo HD demo. Then my launch PS3 died and I have been without Gran Turismo for 4 years now. Tis sad. At least I have iRacing and F1 2013.

Gran Turismo 6 does look pretty great for the hardware but I can only imagine what they could do if they were to put the games on PC. The PS4 doesn't produce bad looking games by any means but knowing the attention to detail Polyphony has, given the extra power, they could probably produce some truly amazing stuff on PC.

The second game I ever owned was the original Gran Turismo. I easily spent an entire year on that game. Then when I got a PS2 for my 7th birthday I was playing Gran Turismo 2 and nothing else for a year until Gran Turismo 3 arrived. I bought a PS3 at launch just for Gran Turismo HD demo. Then my launch PS3 died and I have been without Gran Turismo for 4 years now. Tis sad. At least I have iRacing and F1 2013.

Gran Turismo 6 does look pretty great for the hardware but I can only imagine what they could do if they were to put the games on PC. The PS4 doesn't produce bad looking games by any means but knowing the attention to detail Polyphony has, given the extra power, they could probably produce some truly amazing stuff on PC.

yeah ive been addicted to assetto corsa for the last few months. Btw i was thinking about getting iracing, is it worth it, seems very expensive considering the amount of content it has.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Depends. There's a few questions you have to answer yes to more than anything.

1. Is racing a passion of yours?

2. Do you care more about the experience of driving than you care about the fantasy of what you're driving? 

3. Are you okay with clearing out a few hours out of your schedule to race on any given day?

If you answered no to any of those then probably not. You have to really, really love driving. A wheel is a requirement, playing with a controller just doesn't work. It's about as hardcore of a sim as you can get on PC. It's expensive and time consuming and doesn't have a lot of content for people that aren't into real racing frankly. There is no racing except online as well. No offline AI. Races are all scheduled. No starting up and finding a quick match. It's important to go through qualifying as well. A race can take anywhere from 50-100 minutes including the qualifying.

However if all of that sounds excellent to you you'll be hard pressed to find that experience elsewhere. I really love it but it definitely isn't for everybody.

Indeed. But VRAM != RAM - the PS3 only had 256MB of RAM, and 256MB

of VRAM. Unlike the Xbox 360, the PS3's memory pools were completely

static, not unified - so although it had as much memory overall as the Xbox

it was much more restricting for developers to actually use. PS3 also

reserves 50MB of RAM for the OS, whilst the Xbox 360 reserves only 32MB. :)

In addition, the RSX (Reality Synthesizer, the PS3's GPU)  was not as strong

as the Xenos GPU contained in the Xbox 360. If a developer were to create

a game for both consoles and utilise each device's hardware in the

traditional way then the PS3 will fall behind. Developers can get around this

problem by employing the Cell CPU to boost the capabilities of the RSX -

this is done in Gran Turismo 6 for example, and the majority of other first

party titles for the platform.

An interesting thing about the PS3 is that it was originally not intended to

have a GPU at all. Sony initially chose to make use of the Cell Broadband

Engine owing to its considerable processing power and remarkably high

floating point performance - they intended to have only a Cell CPU in the

console which would be responsible for handling both normal processing

tasks in addition to all graphical processing tasks. The decision  to add a

dedicated GPU came relatively late into the PS3's development cycle,

which some believe is the reason why the resultant chip (the RSX) was so

weak.

In short - the PS3 was actually weaker than the Xbox 360 in general. The

only part of it which was better was the CPU - and thankfully it really was

quite a lot more powerful. :P

Yes I suppose that is fair, the RAM pools weren't usable for any which part, but the RSX did have access to the XDR pool (through the Flex IO bus) almost at the same same speed as the GDDR3 pool, but yeah its obviously an extra step that wasn't needed when compared to the 360.

I remember reading that Sony was thinking of putting 2 Cells in the ps3, but yeah obviously devs yelled loud enough for them to put a more standard GPU in instead, which was still mildly customized (like the FlexIO bus). Yeah the RSX was weaker when stacked against the 360s GPU, but it was when the Cell was also used is how the PS3 had more overall power. The Cell was hugely important in using deferred rendering techniques, which caused some issues with the 360 ( and now X1 it seems...)