Linus Tech Tips Notifier for Firefox (EOL)

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

Ok thanks. I could ask around a bit but I suspect not many are interested in it.

If i do remake the extension, am I allowed to make the new extension open source? If so then I'd probably be interested at having a go at making a similar extension for modern FireFox. if it leads to something which is usable and has similar functionality to this extension then I'll consider publishing it and putting it on GitHub.

Of course i'll be happy to credit you for the original extension source code and I will be sure to keep the original extension source code private if you prefer.

You're welcome to make it open source - the current version is officially licensed using a Creative Commons Attribution license (because I didn't know a huge amount about code licenses at the time), but I think it makes sense to relicense it under the MIT license, so you're free to do what you like with it provided that if you use significant chunks of my code, my code is attributed to me.

One additional term that I will add is that if you release anything that makes http requests to the forum, please include an src=something parameter in the URL, where something indicates the product (I used LTT_Notifier_Firefox, an abbreviation like LTTNFF would be fine) and something identifiable as you (AluTech, 89336, etc), so that if the extension is buggy and starts causing issues, we can identify the source and report it to you to be fixed.

The code, I think up to date (for some reason I seem to have multiple copies at different versions in different places), is attached here: ltt-notifier-src.zip

HTTP/2 203

1 hour ago, colonel_mortis said:

You're welcome to make it open source - the current version is officially licensed using a Creative Commons Attribution license (because I didn't know a huge amount about code licenses at the time), but I think it makes sense to relicense it under the MIT license, so you're free to do what you like with it provided that if you use significant chunks of my code, my code is attributed to me.

One additional term that I will add is that if you release anything that makes http requests to the forum, please include an src=something parameter in the URL, where something indicates the product (I used LTT_Notifier_Firefox, an abbreviation like LTTNFF would be fine) and something identifiable as you (AluTech, 89336, etc), so that if the extension is buggy and starts causing issues, we can identify the source and report it to you to be fixed.

Cool. I'll probably use something like src=LTTNFF_AluTech

The code, I think up to date (for some reason I seem to have multiple copies at different versions in different places), is attached here: ltt-notifier-src.zip

Alrighty, thanks much :).

If i do manage to make a new extension which is suitable then I'll let you know.

Also, am I free to use the existing assets you've made or do I need to make my own?

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

58 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

Cool. I'll probably use something like src=LTTNFF_AluTech

Alrighty, thanks much :).

If i do manage to make a new extension which is suitable then I'll let you know.

Also, am I free to use the existing assets you've made or do I need to make my own?

Free to use anything there (though standard limitations on LMG trademarks apply - don't use them in a way that suggests affiliation).

HTTP/2 203

Just now, colonel_mortis said:

Free to use anything there (though standard limitations on LMG trademarks apply - don't use them in a way that suggests affiliation).

Thanks.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, firelighter487 said:

@colonel_mortis is this still being updated? i can't install it in the latest nightly build. says it's not compatible.

No - due to the large changes that would be required to support Firefox 57+ (essentially completely rewriting the entire extension), I took the decision to end support for the extension (and updated the OP accordingly). There is a discussion above your post about other members potentially taking the project on, but I don't know whether that is still on the table, and what progress has been made if so.

HTTP/2 203

No - due to the large changes that would be required to support Firefox 57+ (essentially completely rewriting the entire extension), I took the decision to end support for the extension (and updated the OP accordingly). There is a discussion above your post about other members potentially taking the project on, but I don't know whether that is still on the table, and what progress has been made if so.

okay, that's fine.

She/Her