How to mine SCRYPT based currencies and cash out [OLD]

thanks and maybe you should add this to the OP as well.

good idea.

Spoiler

good idea.

slight problem.. they don't accept TD with vogogo and wire transfer minimum is a little out of my reach  ? 

slight problem.. they don't accept TD with vogogo and wire transfer minimum is a little out of my reach  ? 

Try canadianbitcoins. Their rates SUCK though.

I'm all out of ideas on this one.

Spoiler

Try canadianbitcoins. Their rates SUCK though.

I'm all out of ideas on this one.

thanks. ill try that.

That doesn't answer my question. If you want me to help you, please explain exactly what it is you want to do.

whatr happens if i accedentally ran a setup with hw errors for like 4 hours? 

if you are reading this you are wasting valuable time and should maybe rethink your life choices.

whatr happens if i accedentally ran a setup with hw errors for like 4 hours? 

What do you mean "ran a setup" ?

If you mean you ran cgminer with HW errors adding up for 4 hours, then I would say your gpu is most likely damaged. I haven't got to this point because I've always stayed a mile away from HW errors but from what I heard about those, I'm surprised your card isn't fried yet. If it's still functional, its lifespan is probably significantly reduced.

Spoiler

What do you mean "ran a setup" ?

If you mean you ran cgminer with HW errors adding up for 4 hours, then I would say your gpu is most likely damaged. I haven't got to this point because I've always stayed a mile away from HW errors but from what I heard about those, I'm surprised your card isn't fried yet. If it's still functional, its lifespan is probably significantly reduced.

Interestingly, Hardware Errors means that your GPU is doing math wrong. Like, when it does 1+1 in binary, it doesn't get 10. 

That usually means you are pushing the GPU too hard (too high voltage, temperature, or clocks). 

HW errors don't necessarily mean your GPU is damaged. But telling the difference between a slightly too high, unstable, overclock and a potentially damaging one is basically impossible without your GPU actually being damaged. 

That's why you want to avoid HW no matter what. You can't tell if it's damaging, and even if it isn't, you aren't doing the work right anyway, so you aren't getting shares or coins for the work it's doing.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I'm currently using Ubuntu on my mining rig and using Teamviewer to remote controll it.
My problem is my second 5850, the Kh/s wont go over 190, my other one is at 320Kh/s.
I'm using the same settings on both:

export DISPLAY=:0

export GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT=100
export GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS=1
./cgminer --scrypt -o stratum+tcp://middlecoin.com:3333 -u ***************************** -p * --intensity 18,18 --thread-concurrency 7500,7500 -g 1

On windows 7 i got 320Kh/s on both of them with those settings.

Pc1:  i5 3570k | GTX 680 stock | Kingston V300 256gb | Asrock Z77E-ITX | Silverstone Strider 550W | H80 w NF-P12 | Node 304
Pc2:  Q8200 | GTX 260 216C | 500gb 2.5" | 3tb 3.5" Asus P5N-D | Corsair HX 750W | Arctic Freezer 13 Limited edition | Nzxt H2

I'm currently using Ubuntu on my mining rig and using Teamviewer to remote controll it.

My problem is my second 5850, the Kh/s wont go over 190, my other one is at 320Kh/s.

I'm using the same settings on both:

export DISPLAY=:0

export GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT=100
export GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS=1
./cgminer --scrypt -o stratum+tcp://middlecoin.com:3333 -u ***************************** -p * --intensity 18,18 --thread-concurrency 7500,7500 -g 1

On windows 7 i got 320Kh/s on both of them with those settings.

This is what I find searching https://litecoin.info/Mining_hardware_comparison :

cgminer v3.1.0  :  -I 19 -g 1 -w 256 --thread-concurrency 5824

Maybe try that thread concurrency and intensity. Be ready to close cgminer if HW arrise though.

Also, sometimes switching pcie lanes and/or risers will fix the problem.

Spoiler

This is what I find searching https://litecoin.info/Mining_hardware_comparison :

cgminer v3.1.0  :  -I 19 -g 1 -w 256 --thread-concurrency 5824

Maybe try that thread concurrency and intensity. Be ready to close cgminer if HW arrise though.

Also, sometimes switching pcie lanes and/or risers will fix the problem.

Thanks but I think I sloved my own problem by using SSH instead of Teamviewer, im at steady 320 and 310Kh/s on both of them now.

EDIT: saw that one had 420Kh/s on his 5850, do you think I can make it to 400?

Pc1:  i5 3570k | GTX 680 stock | Kingston V300 256gb | Asrock Z77E-ITX | Silverstone Strider 550W | H80 w NF-P12 | Node 304
Pc2:  Q8200 | GTX 260 216C | 500gb 2.5" | 3tb 3.5" Asus P5N-D | Corsair HX 750W | Arctic Freezer 13 Limited edition | Nzxt H2

• 2 weeks later...

Help I cant figure out where to download CGminer! And how.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Maybe not relevant, but for super easy setup you may want to mention GUIminer scrypt, as I've found this works quite well and is really easy to setup :D

"PSU brands are meaningless, look up the OEM."

Maybe not relevant, but for super easy setup you may want to mention GUIminer scrypt, as I've found this works quite well and is really easy to setup :D

Yea, I really didn't try GUIminer at all, so I wouldn't be able to write a guide for using it. Feel free to do so and add it to the thread.

Spoiler

• 5 months later...

6- Open the .bat file with wordpad and paste the following information (without the brackets and their content) :

setx GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT 100
setx GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS 1
cgminer --scrypt -I XXX -d 0 [0 for your first gpu, 1 for the second, ...] --remove-disabled --thread-concurrency XXX  -w XXX -g XXX --shaders XXX [COPY POOL INFO HERE] 

What .bat file?

• 2 weeks later...

So after seeing a few threads by people that had similar problems or questions with mining scrypt based currencies, I contributed to one of them with a understandable guide to mining which I think would benefit from having its own separate thread. Anyone who want to add to this guide, feel free.

HOW TO MINE

1- Dowload cgminer (I'm using version 3.7.2) and create a .bat file pointing to the executable.

http://ck.kolivas.org/apps/cgminer/

2- Subscribe to a pool of your choice. Depending on what you want to mine, what type of payout you want, what mining fee you can tolerate, ... you'll choose a pool. You basically don't want to mine anything that's ASIC based. I suggest mining dogecoins on multipool.us.

A good way of comparing pools would be to consult this site : https://litecoin.info/Mining_pool_comparison

3- Login to your pool account and create a worker and its password.

4- Go into the HOME or STATS or HELP portion of the site to try and locate the port information (should look like this : -o stratum+tcp://pool1.us.multipool.us:7777 -u username.1 -p x)

username.1 being username (of the account).worker name and -p x ,  x being worker password , or account's , usually mentionned in this same section

5- go to https://litecoin.info/Mining_hardware_comparison and locate your hardware. In the 8th column will be the cgminer settings you'll use for startup. If you can't locate your hardware, lookup similar hardware. If there is a lot of discrepancy on the mining settings for similar hardware as yours, ask around forums for cgminer settings you could use.

6- Open the .bat file with wordpad and paste the following information (without the brackets and their content) :

setx GPU_MAX_ALLOC_PERCENT 100

setx GPU_USE_SYNC_OBJECTS 1

cgminer --scrypt -I XXX -d 0 [0 for your first gpu, 1 for the second, ...] --remove-disabled --thread-concurrency XXX  -w XXX -g XXX --shaders XXX [COPY POOL INFO HERE] 

N.B. : depending on your hardware, you might use or not use several fields here (see 5- for a general idea).

7- Replace the "XXX" with your hardware's recommended settings (see 5-) and replace [COPY POOL INFO HERE] with your pool's port and user info (see 4-)

8- Open the .bat file by double clicking.

9- IMPORTANT : spot the field named HW: right away and see that it remains 0. If there's a non 0 number there and/or if it's growing CLOSE CGMINER RIGHT AWAY. Revise your settings (typically the -I setting in the .bat file is too high)

10- Second thing to look for in cgminer window is the temperature of the gpu. See that it stabilizes at an "acceptable" temperature. If it rises too much, change fan speed, overclock settings or .bat file settings (typically in this order) )

11- Third thing to look for in cgminer window is the hashrate in KH/s which will vary every second or so. Look that it reaches approximately your hardware's typical hashrate (see 5-). If wanted, revise settings (see 10-).

12- Log into your pool account and find your statistics. See that the pool detects you mining (info in your pool account can be delayed) and that your worker is detected mining.

13- Download the wallet of the currency you are mining. Run the application and wait for it to update (can take a while, you can do that first as well). 

14- Once your wallet is updated, find (or create) your reception address. Copy it.

15- Paste that address as your payout address in the appropriate field of your pool account. You can chose the threshold at which it makes a payment. 

It is usually not recommended to make automatic payouts to a trading site address. However, if you're mining multiple coins on multipool, like I am for instance, you don't have to dowload every possible wallet to received payouts. You can then make payouts directly to Cryptsy.com (for instance). I never had a problem doing this. On the contrary, I had dogecoin "dissapear" when I was mining dogecoin on a dogecoin-only pool having cryptsy.com as my automatic payout address. 

16- Once you have a decent amount in your wallet (or trading site account) you want to sell, you'll typically want to trade it for Bitcoins first.

Go and check Cryptsy.com. It however has suffered from its own popularity and it's getting laggy. I hope they can upgrade their servers soon since it's the best site, and only that I know, that can handle trades of many crypto currencies.

17- Once you have a decent amount of Bitcoins to sell, you'll want to find a site that can do such a thing in your country. I live in Canada and use CAVirtex. You will have to create an account and authenticate it with proof of residency, ... Once it is done, make BTC deposits there and sell for USD/CAN , then make transfers to bank account / paypal.

18- PROFIT.

Possible problems causing under-performance or crashes

- Bad cgminer settings;

- Not enough power from PSU;

- Bad PCIe riser;

- Idle GPU (low Clock on core or memory) : Plug monitor on that card to "wake it up" or make a dummy plug;

- GPU throttling (voltage, heat, ...);

- Motherboard being "picky" for obscure reasons and needing to swap GPUs from one PCIe lane to another or swapping risers;

- GPU being "picky" and requiring a swap to a 16x lane (if on a 1x). Or the contrary;

- Wrong AMD driver versions (not necessarily the latests), wrong SDK version;

- Bad GPU.

HOW TO BUY CURRENCIES FOR SPECULATION

(Canada)

1- open up a CAvirtex account
2- add your information to the account (personnal, address, bank, ....)
3- complete the authentication process (bear with it, can take a while, be sure to upload documents as specified)
4- make CAN deposits by bank wire transfers
5- buy BTC when satisfied of the rate
6- withdraw BTC towards a deposit address on cryptsy or coinex
7- trade BTC for whatever currency you want
8- buy, sell, buy, sell, jump from one currency to the next, ride the wave !

For those miners that already have LTC, BTC or other, start at step 8 !

I can't seem to make this work at all... GTX 780 Windows 8.1

I can't seem to make this work at all... GTX 780 Windows 8.1

You need another miner program for nvidia cards. Mining with gpus is also not profitable anymore.

Spoiler