Problems with my CPU Temperatures

Gowcaizer

Hey guys. I just built my rig this past Saturday, and I think there is something is off about my i5 - 3570K temps. Using a Noctua NH-D14, my idle temps fluctuates around 37 - 40 degrees. Using a Prime95 Stress test for about a half hour, my temps rose to around 65- 67 degrees. This isn't normal for a not yet overclocked CPU with this cooler is it?

My case is a Corsair 550D if that helps at all. I was planning on overclocking but with these temps, I don't think that it's possible right now, so any assistance would be very helpful. Thanks guys.

I'm assuming you mean the temperature in my room, right? If that's the case, then I can tell you that my room is comfortably chill. I also placed the case in an open area where it could get plenty of air.

Edit: Just looked at HWMonitor, my ambient temperature inside the case is about 23 degrees Celsius.

overclock details ? from my experiences ivy bridge cpu's thermal paste between ihs and core die seem to loose its efficiency after 3 months (temps will rise no matter what you do) it might be it because your idle temps 10+ more of mine in 20 degree ambient (coolest core runs lower than ambient on idle) or you are running too much voltage out of your 3570k (there is a noticeable rise after 1.25 volts on my system)

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

That's the thing. I just built this rig a couple of days ago and I haven't even started to overclock yet. That's why I don't get why the temps are the way they are.

are you sure about your installation quality ? it might thermal paste or you might need to screw the screws bit more

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

I can go back and look, but I did re - seat the heatsink yesterday just to be sure of that though. Maybe I need to put more paste on as I only put a small peasize amount on there yesterday?

I can go back and look, but I did re - seat the heatsink yesterday just to be sure of that though. Maybe I need to put more paste on as I only put a small peasize amount on there yesterday?
No you are supposed to put as least as possible of thermal paste to get the best heat transfer from the cpu to the cpu cooler. The small peasize should be able to work. If you want to reapply your thermal paste, I would recommend you to watch Linus' TechQuickie on applying thermal compound: www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2p6Hk4IfqI

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

• 2 weeks later...

check your voltage, at stock the mobo decides the voltage and it may need a lot of voltage to run just at stock, tell me what's your vcore please because those temps are worse than mine which is oc'ed to 4.0 and is only a hyper212 evo

My non-OC 3570k idles at around 30 degrees C and after hours of running prime 95 it didn't go above 62 degrees C on a Hyper 212 EVO [thats with internal case temps being around 25-27 deg. C]. I'm really happy with those temps to be honest. :P

When I ran a test trial of a 4.2 OC I was getting avg. of 35 degrees C [ish] and highs of 65 [ish] which i think are well within reason.

You only want to be worrying if you are seeing temps of consistently over 80-90 deg. C that is when something is wrong and the cooler needs either re-seating or swapping the thermal compound [or rma'ing a possibly dodgy part]. I mean the Tj Max of a 3570k is around 105 Deg. C so you are alright up to that temp, although certainly something is going wrong with your 3rd party cooler at that point, if its meant to be a decent one! :P

To be honest, if you are really bothered about keeping low temps, get something like an H100i or a closed loop setup.

But to me those temps seem fine. :)

I'm not much of a wiz when it comes to temperatures or intel processors nut I can tell you that your case is awesome. :D

Space is pretty awesome.

I had this issue recently. It's probably the voltage. My 3570K was running @ 4.6GHz and the voltage was at 1.4. The motherboard was controlling it and causing the voltage to be high. Not saying it's the same thing as your case scenario, as the CPU is  at stock and the voltage should remain at stock as well. I don't know if this has been said or not, but what's your cooler? I checked to make sure it hasn't been said, and didn't find anything about your cooler.

Edited by Godlygamer23

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

One other method to applying thermal paste is using the line method. If you're not familiar with that method, you basically draw a line down the CPU.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I guess they are fine Ivy Bridge runs a bit hot and as long as the temps are not above 85-90C you are good. I always leave a bit of headroom for the TJMax to be safe.

on a stock non-overclocked processor, your idle temperatures should be 6°-8° over ambient.

now that said, not all temperature appz report accurate temperatures.

i usually will dig into my BIOS and find the HW Monitoring section and look to see what the

motherboard is sensing. then pop into your temp app and see the "difference"

another is ivey bridge does have a TIM issue between the heat spreader and the chips

underneath. usually a 8°-15° temp difference, but that is usually a loaded difference.

verify your HSF and fan installation and TIM pattern. reinstall and retest.

airdeano

Wait for the new chips see how they perform stick with Sandybridge  ,,,, Ivybridge = Fail

Fact

Make sure you're getting accurate temp readings and good airflow through the heatsink.  Make sure all of the fans are turned in the correct direction.  Fan direction may seem obvious to some but it's a very easy mistake to make.  If everything checks out then re-apply thermal paste.  Make sure you use Quality stuff like Arctic Silver, Tuniq or what was included with the NH-D14.