How logical is brass tubing?

For those of you who have done copper tubing builds or use copper in your builds, how did it work for you? I was messing around with the idea of annealing some brass and using that for tubing in a WC build. I've never seen anyone successfully do this because brass is much harder to work with then copper. Even with some of the copper builds I've seen, their is a good chance of getting a leak even with those tight double o-ring push fittings. So, what do you guys think? Could brass tubing successfully be used in a WC build without any leaks?

Maybe. Why not just get some hard acrylic and paint it the same color? ;)

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I think it's going to be harder to bend, But I think it's a cool idea, as you can paint brass more easily and get better finishes.

Well that's what I was thinking. Brass has a much nicer finish then even copper and it doesn't rust or get scuffed up nearly as much. But, it seems like it would be a bitch to get it leak proof. Bending would have to be done by hand because they don't sell hand benders for brass.

For those of you who have done copper tubing builds or use copper in your builds, how did it work for you? I was messing around with the idea of annealing some brass and using that for tubing in a WC build. I've never seen anyone successfully do this because brass is much harder to work with then copper. Even with some of the copper builds I've seen, their is a good chance of getting a leak even with those tight double o-ring push fittings. So, what do you guys think? Could brass tubing successfully be used in a WC build without any leaks?

our good friend @B NEGATIVE has done extensive work in copper hardline builds.

has done many tutorials using metal/acrylic tubing for water cooling.

here is the acrylic tut -> LINKY

our good friend @B NEGATIVE has done extensive work in copper hardline builds.

has done many tutorials using metal/acrylic tubing for water cooling.

here is the acrylic tut -> LINKY

I actually have spoken to him on his copper bending tutorial over at OCN and he said it would be doable since I'm planning on annealing it but I'm scared of it leaking. The push fits seem to be a pretty tight fit but I don't know :/ I think it would be great to do something new.

I actually have spoken to him on his copper bending tutorial over at OCN and he said it would be doable since I'm planning on annealing it but I'm scared of it leaking. The push fits seem to be a pretty tight fit but I don't know :/ I think it would be great to do something new.

as with all sealing surfaces it has to be clean, smooth and round. follow those steps

and your worries should be reduced to nil. any hesitation, lack of attention or

stressing over leaks will deffo destroy the experience. it is not a novice plan to start.

as with all sealing surfaces it has to be clean, smooth and round. follow those steps

and your worries should be reduced to nil. any hesitation, lack of attention or

stressing over leaks will deffo destroy the experience. it is not a novice plan to start.

It's one hell of a way to start my first WC build! That's for sure. Lol. Anyway, thanks for linking to his guide. I'll probably redirect my questions over there.

Its going to very hard to make tight bent. Copper are very soft which make it very hard to bent it without kinking. i would suggest if you are going to do it pack it down with sand then try to bent it, it would reduce kinking.

Its going to very hard to make tight bent. Copper are very soft which make it very hard to bent it without kinking. i would suggest if you are going to do it pack it down with sand then try to bent it, it would reduce kinking.

I've heard that before or using ice. I've also heard using this type of weird liquid metal that melts below 212F and solidifies quickly. You heat it up and let it solidify inside of the tube. Once done, you just pop out the bottom plug and heat it up again and clean it out with some olive oil. Personally, I think the bends might be the hardest part alongside finding the right fittings for something like this.

I've heard that before or using ice. I've also heard using this type of weird liquid metal that melts below 212F and solidifies quickly. You heat it up and let it solidify inside of the tube. Once done, you just pop out the bottom plug and heat it up again and clean it out with some olive oil. Personally, I think the bends might be the hardest part alongside finding the right fittings for something like this.

I don't think the fittings will be a problem, everyone uses the C47 multi-link fittings that you have to push in the tube. Just try to find the correct size of pipe.

Well I'll be using 10mm pipe with 10mm aquatuning push fittings. What I might do is buy a small piece of pipe and some fittings and play around with shaping it because if I can get it just right then I should be able to replicate it for a larger build.

Nope.

Sand or ice will not give fluid bends,you will end up with 50p bends instead.

Just use a set of mandrel benders,job done

See above.

SR-2-2x X5650 Xeons-3x 670 FTW-1x 120Gb Force GT-1x 240Gb Force GT-1tb WD Green-12Gb Dom GT 1866-Platimax 1500w-2x HK3-2xD5-24v controller-3x RX 480's-3x NiBlk HK GPU blocks-Koolance tops-BP res-15x SP120's-Little Devil V8.

What about a sort of steam punk look using angle fittings?

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

The problem with that is thst angle fittings that are push fits with the double sealing o rings are a rarity.

@B NEGATIVE: If I could get it to its melting point and then quench it and then use those bending inserts it should work. Surely people have bent brass before especially in plumbing.

The problem with that is thst angle fittings that are push fits with the double sealing o rings are a rarity.

@B NEGATIVE: If I could get it to its melting point and then quench it and then use those bending inserts it should work. Surely people have bent brass before especially in plumbing.

No need as Copper is king.

Im no annealing pro so I cant answer that.

Why is copper no good for you?

SR-2-2x X5650 Xeons-3x 670 FTW-1x 120Gb Force GT-1x 240Gb Force GT-1tb WD Green-12Gb Dom GT 1866-Platimax 1500w-2x HK3-2xD5-24v controller-3x RX 480's-3x NiBlk HK GPU blocks-Koolance tops-BP res-15x SP120's-Little Devil V8.

Meh the challenge and it's hard to get the finish I want. Then again, I've never tried to paint copper. I've looked into using an acid etched primer. Maybe that'll work?

Meh the challenge and it's hard to get the finish I want. Then again, I've never tried to paint copper. I've looked into using an acid etched primer. Maybe that'll work?

My copper tubing is painted...works well for me

Hey there ;)

3930k | RIVBE | 32GB Dominator Plat. | Titan XP | Intel 750 1.6TB | Mellanox 10Gb NIC | AX1200i 

Custom TJ07 | 2xD5 pumps | EK Supremacy EVO | EK Titan XP | EK RIVBE Block | Cu Tubing | 25x120mm Rad

Samsung U28D590D 4K | Leopold Otaku w/Browns | Corsair M65 | Corsair SP2500 | Sennheiser HD595

My copper tubing is painted...works well for me

Hey there ;)

Hey there to you too Sugartits!

First foray into WC I wouldn't recommend even acrylic unless you really know what you're doing. I just did acylic and it was a giant PITA trying to bend it! If you do acrylic I'd suggest getting fittings to make things line up.

Either I suck at bending acrylic or acrylic sucks to bend. Haven't decided which it is yet lol! 

This is going to be my first time WC'ing but I'm up for a challenge. I just hope it doesn't turn into one big watery mess and I lose a ton of money in the process. I think if I just make sure everything is really tight then it should be smooth sailing. We'll see. I think I'm going to settle on hard copper and use a bender.

This is going to be my first time WC'ing but I'm up for a challenge. I just hope it doesn't turn into one big watery mess and I lose a ton of money in the process. I think if I just make sure everything is really tight then it should be smooth sailing. We'll see. I think I'm going to settle on hard copper and use a bender.

I hope you got days to spend doing it. It's not gonna be something that's gonna take a few hours to do and then you're done. In a perfect world that would be the case but you'll run into issues so expect it lol!

However, I think bending soft copper is gonna be easier than acrylic for the simple fact of not needing to heat it. If I had a bender I would do copper in a heartbeat!

For a little over the price you probably paid for your heat gun to heat the acrylic you could buy a nice $50 bender. You can find some nice ones on eBay for even cheaper. And yep, lots and lots of planning will have to be done! Lol.

For a little over the price you probably paid for your heat gun to heat the acrylic you could buy a nice $50 bender. You can find some nice ones on eBay for even cheaper. And yep, lots and lots of planning will have to be done! Lol.

I'll probably end up doing it since I can use the same fittings and soft copper is super cheap compared to acrylic. I was looking into doing it I just didn't have anything to cut the copper with or polish it. I could buy a dremel to do both things but that would be way too easy! Something about polished copper in a build is just sexy and that's about the only thing that would make me go away from clear tubing with UV dye.