Gimli, a NAS build by Shaqalac.

Shaqalac

Update #13: Replacing parts before it even works, part 1.

When I wrote the last update, I finally thought all my problems were solved and that I might be able to make some actual progress.

Well, as it turns out, my problems were not over.

To be fair, this is not really a problem, more a matter of stability. I tried to install some packages in Debian, as a chance to figure out how the platform works. Obviously I've been switching the system on and off. As I'm completely new to Debian I choose to install it with Debian Desktop Environment, so I wouldn't throw myself completely out of my comfort zone. When Debian launched it showed some graphic glitches, which I don't think is anything serious, but it's probably because of Debian being installed on an USB stick. To me it's a sign of instability and unreliability. On top of that, shutdown times were unacceptable, one time I waited for over an hour and the system were still running, black screen but still running. So to overcome these problems I decided to buy a SSD.

I ended up with a Kingston SSDnow V300 60GB.

Nothing fancy about the packaging.

K1nwlEn.jpg

I guess this is one of the reasons why they are able to ship out SSDs at that price range, what a terrible packaging!

Normally this wouldn't annoy me at all but I've had enough hardware problems in my short tech time and being able to RMA a product in the original packaging is a huge deal. My Crucial M500, which is an inexpensive SSD as well, is shipped in this and I've seen plastic cases that are resealable.

PBpUiEp.jpg

The only accessory that came with the V300. I guess it's for laptops that can handle a thicker HDD.

0QlqBuM.jpg

Not much to say about it, it looks clean and simple. It looks entry level, exactly what it is. I like that.

oqmVVm6.jpg

I really like that they haven't put any stickers one the back of the SSD. Love the wrinkle finish as well.

Xec9b8r.jpg

To my luck I only have four HDDs in the hot swap cage so far, which runs of off 2 SATA power connectors, so it wasn't necessary to add another connector yet.

7cXgNA0.jpg

The reason I've connected it to the SATA power that powers the hot swap cage instead of placing it at the bottom 2.5" HDD/SDD slot is because I want to keep the case as clean as possible. I've ordered and received some velcro tape so I can stick it to the bottom of the hot swap cage. I'm not sure whether velcro tape is the most clean looking solution but that was what I came up with, if you have any alternatives please let me know. The velcro tape should be convenient in case I need to swap out the SSD though. When the SSD is stuck the bottom of the cage I'll be able to run SATA power in a straight line to all 4 ports (3 on the hot swap cage and 1 on the SSD).

i4oaS0M.jpg

The SanDisk Cruzer Fit no longer serves a purpose for this build. I don't mind it too much as I don't have any other USB stick larger than 512MB, so I'll probably use the SanDisk for school in the future.

sYqrI3B.jpg

Now you might think the update is over. Not quite yet.

After I installed the SSD and Debian to it I started to get boot problems, with that being said I did boot the system several times without any problems. Anyway, when the M1015 loaded during boot it showed this error. The first time I didn't gave it many thoughts, made a simple reboot and I was back on track. They started to appear again and a reboot didn't work. As I flashed the M1015 in my main rig I tried to connect it to it but I couldn't get it to boot. I tried to reflash it through the NAS and main rig but without luck. I'm almost 100% positive that the card is bricked and I've therefore ordered a LSI 9211-8i to replace it.

Cheer Shaqalac.

NAS build log: Gimli, a NAS build by Shaqalac.

Mechanical keyboards: Ducky Mini YotH - Ducky Mini

That's to bad that the raid card is not working.

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715

I am sorry to hear you have had so many problems lately but I am sure you will get that thing running very stable and awesome :)

|OscillosC Build|+ Raspberry Pi [NAS] + Another G5 + Personal + HTPC: Asus Z87-A - Intel Core i5 4670K @ 4.5ghz 1.15v - Noctua NH-D14 - Gigabyte Radeon HD7870 OC @ 1170mhz core- Kingston HyperX 8gb 1600mhz CL9 - Samsung 840 PRO 128Gb SSD for Windows- Kingston V300 120gb for Ubuntu- WD Caviar Black 1Tb For games and programs - WD Caviar Green 2Tb For videos, photos, music, and backups- Seasonic P660 XP2 Platinum - Windows 8.1 PRO - Ubuntu 14.04 - Modded Bitfenix Ghost

That's to bad that the raid card is not working.

It's been an experience, that's for sure but in the long I'd rather do without it.

I am sorry to hear you have had so many problems lately but I am sure you will get that thing running very stable and awesome :)

If I said these problems with the OS and the M1015 hadn't put a downer on my motivation to keep working on it, I would be lying!

It has been very frustrating. With that being said, I can't wait for the 9211-8i to arrive and hopefully it will flash without trouble. After that I should start sleeving some cables :D

Looking good - subbed

Thanks a lot and welcome aboard!

NAS build log: Gimli, a NAS build by Shaqalac.

Mechanical keyboards: Ducky Mini YotH - Ducky Mini

very nice, love NAS builds!

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s