Mouse Grips - Palm, Claw, and Fingertip. What style should you use?

IDprofile

I have a severe case of claw grip.

The palm of my hand usually doesn't even come in contact with my mouse.

that is just a fingertip grip xD

Edit: I notice there are a lot of fingertip grippers here. I was under the impression they were a rare breed.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

that is just a fingertip grip xD

Edit: I notice there are a lot of fingertip grippers here. I was under the impression they were a rare breed.

That's what I thought. Maybe it's just rare among non gamers.

I use claw on my G700 and I also use claw when using a controller, guess that makes me an animal when it comes to gaming :P

hqdefault.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I've been in a heavy debate of which I use the most. I'm caught between Claw and Fingertip grips when I play League or I'm in a tense FPS game. Fingertip definitely gives me more control but make my hands fatigue easier, however, it is great for a big handed person like me who can't find a big & light enough mouse to use.

Fingertip G400s. And a bit of palm at times.

My rigs

Spoiler

Desktop CPU: Intel Xeon E5-1680 v2 @ 4.4GHz cooled by a Corsair H105 | Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X79 | RAM: 32GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1600 | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 SC3 Ultra Gaming | SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 1TB + Crutial M500 240GB + Samsung 840 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM + WB Black 4TB 7200RPM | Case: Fractal Design Meshify C | Mouse: Logitech G402 & MX Master | Keyboard: Poker II  MX Blue & Leopold 10-key pad Box Royals | Monitor: LG 34UB88-P | Audio: Audio-Technica ATH-M50 + FiiO E5 DAC + Rode NT-USB Mini

Laptop Lenovo Yoga 720 4k Touch

• 1 month later...

Roccat Kone [+], fingertip/palm, since it's a bit to big for my hands to only fingertip it.

I use some weird palm/claw combination...

Only difference is, my middle finger is on the scroll wheel, ring is on the right mouse button and my index finger is on the left mouse button

During gaming I tend to sometimes put my middle finger on the right mouse button along with my ring finger. Its really hard to explain how I hold it but its comfortable, has great movement and is good for gaming.

Also, like Linus I have small hand syndrome so I can basically use any of these ways. I personally dislike fingertip though.

My hand goes random really, I would sometime be in claw grip,finger grip, and palm. If I think about it, my hand goes crazy and everything feels strange.. 

The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time. 

I switch between palm and fingertip all the time and don't even notice it one bit

Computer and other things (My Phanteks Enthoo Elite build is done)

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Processor: Intel Core i7 6850k @4.5GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ROG Edition 10
Heatsink: Custom Hardline
Memory: Corsaor Dominator 16GB (4GB x2) DDR4 3000MHz 
Video Card: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)
Main GUI: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Monitor: x2 Dell U2414H
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: Logitech G502
Headset: AKG K553 Pro Studio Headphones
Speakers: Boston Accustics Home Media Theater 2.1 + Boston Accustics Soundbar
Microphone: Audio Technica AT-2035 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC

Server

Spoiler

Case: Rosewill 4U Rackmount RSV-L4500

Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2670 V3 12C/24T

Motherboard: Asrock x99 Extreme 4

Ram: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133 4x4GB

Video Card: Nvidia GT520

OS Drive: Kingston Hyperx 240GB SSD

Raid Card: LSI MegaRaid  9261-8i 8-port

Hard Drives: x7 HGST 4TB Nas

Grab the Func MS-3, i too have huge hands and love palming so this mouse is perfect!!

another option would be the steelseries rival

magic_mouse4.jpg

I use palm on this, Not really, I use claw.

that thjing is about as ergonomic as a brick

that thjing is about as ergonomic as a brick

Its not my actual mouse I use a G500

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

I like to use claw for gaming and sometimes palm if I'm just messing around on the computer.

Case: Corsair Vengeance C70 Gunmetal Black CPU: i7-4770k Cooler: Corsair H100i RAM: 8gb Corsair Vengeance Pro GPU: ASUS Direct CUII 770 MOBO: Asus Maximus VI Hero PSU: EVGA Supernova 1000 G2

I like to use claw for gaming and sometimes palm if I'm just messing around on the computer.

im the exact opposite

*Image*

I use palm on this, Not really, I use claw.

:wacko: *sick* You're kidding right? That looks difficult to use. I can't imagine trying to quickly swipe that back and forth while clicking fast ingame.

I have giant hands so I have to use the fingertip grip on large mice.

Anything smaller is as ergonomic as the old hockey puck mouse.

• 2 weeks later...

I can honestly say that I never ever once in my life used the fingertip grip until I just learned what it was and tried it. In the future I might try to use it where it seems appropriate, but most games I play are very hectic and are less reliant on pixel-precision.

I barely ever have to lift the mouse though...

Palm is what's natural to me, but my hands fit into the larger category and I find myself unconciously using claw grip from time to time due to the macro-key layout and the fact that in palm grip my pinky tends to drag on my M.M.O.7.

What I sometimes do in scroll wheel-heavy games is palming with the middle finger on the wheel and the ring finger on RMB. Takes a while getting used to and sucks for fragging people that sneak up from behind, but I'd be using a sniper anyway...

I use a Fingertip/claw grip, but mostly fingertip when gaming, claw when just browsing. 

I love StarCraft

Intel i5 4670 @3.4Ghz - Gigabyte G1 Gaming Gtx 970 @ 1542Mhz - 120GB Kingston SSD - 1TB Seagate HDD - Gigabyte B85-H3D - 8 GB 1333Mhz Kingston RAM - Azza Toledo 301 - SteelSeries Sensei/Logitech G400s - Razer Blackwidow 2013 Ultimate - Sennheiser HD 598 - Zalman Zm-mic 1
 http://www.last.fm/user/thalandros 
http://www.mysteamgauge.com/account?username=76561198044810844

Palm on everything :3

COMPUTER - Enermax Ostrog Gt | Asus M5A99FX R2.0 | AMD FX-8350 | Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Sapphire R9 270X Dual-X 4GB | 2x 4GB G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz | Crucial M500 240GB | WD Blue 1TB

NAS - NZXT H440 | Asus H97 Plus | Intel Pentium G3258 | Stock Intel Fan | 2x 4GB G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz | MyDigitalSSD M.2 64GB | 4x 2TB WD Red

LAPTOP - Microsoft Surface Pro 3 | Intel i5 | 128GB SSD + 64GB MicroSD | 4GB Ram :)