Building a 4P system

Been looking into this for a long time... more like salivating... My 4-5 systems with 10 GPU's are putting out maybe 125-140K PPD and sucking a boat load of power. Looking around the most efficient method of cranking out some real PPD is to go with a 2P or 4P AMD Opteron system. Been hunting around and finally got my hand on 4 x AMD 6136 8 Core CPU's for a smacking good price. So - part one done. Now, to get the rest of rig built. :) I figure with the money I spend buying parts, I should be able to make it back, selling off some of the GPU's and systems. And voila - a 200K+ PPD unit... I will update this thread as things progress along and am also going to do up a build log... BTW - if any body has any leads on some 4P gear - let me know. :) Looking for a mobo, preferably a SM one, have my eye on H8QGi+-F. Also, need CPU coolers, maybe some Noctua NH-UD9 A3 units. Some decent ram - need 16 sticks of it. As deals pop up - will be grabbing stuff. Hopefully in about a month or so I can have something put together and running... UPDATE - April 18th - CPU's in the mail. Also ordered a custom tech station that supports the swatx form factor. Hyper 212 Plus reconditioned coolers ordered from the CM Store... Waiting to hear back from board supplier on a few questions I had.... UPDATE - April 23rd - Got updates on 6136 units, on the way, as are the Hyper 212's. Second tech station ordered and a second 4P solution being shipped out by Friday

EDIT MAY 10th - OFFICIAL BUILD LOG HERE

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

For coolers, If you feeling like doing a little bit of modding, You could try the Hyper212+ musky mod. http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1662099

Memory, Without going to some site such ebay, here a quad channel kit for $70 ( times 4 would be $280) http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007611+600006050+600052013&QksAutoSuggestion=&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&Configurator=&IsNodeId=1&Subcategory=147&description=&hisInDesc=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&AdvancedSearch=1&srchInDesc= (Sorry, Tried using NCIX site but it's difficult for me to navigate.)

Motherboard: about the only place I know of too get a good deal is Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5360.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0&_nkw=H8QGi%2B-F&_sacat=58058&_from=R40

(Not unless you can get linus too talk to NCIX about getting a quad g34 motherboard for you. :p)

I'll try looking for better deals but I would recommend asking Adak as well. He/She has a 4P server that's similar to what you want to build. So adak might know were where to look for the best deal(s) compared to me.

Thanks for the info Warmon - had looked at all that. :) Being a huge Noctua fan, I love the native G34 adapter and can use some of my other Noctua fans for possible push/pull.

When I checked, neither NCIX nor Newegg had dual G34. :(

Sent Adak a message, thanks for that that. I am also check the [H]orde forum for stuff on sale as well... Let me know if you see anything come up at Tom's. :)

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Nooooo!!!! now ill never catch up

AAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

Bhuuuhhaaaa! :D

But, last few days I been folding for Team 32 for the Chimp Challenge....

check this out if u already hadn't

http://www.overclock.net/t/1212613/guide-building-a-2p-4p-from-start-to-finish-along-with-ppd-benchmarks-gallery

just glance over it

dont forget these steps post build in the link

Necessary steps to setup a 4P for folding

The Kraken[

Install the bios OC

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Thanks for the info Warmon - had looked at all that. :) Being a huge Noctua fan, I love the native G34 adapter and can use some of my other Noctua fans for possible push/pull.

Sent Adak a message, thanks for that that. I am also check the [H]orde forum for stuff on sale as well... Let me know if you see anything come up at Tom's. :)

I'll try although I'm not normally in the sale section of the forums. lol.

As for quad G34s on newegg or NCIX... no.... Although newegg did have them a few years back.

But (at least on Newegg), there are 2 dual G34 sockets MB.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007629%20600008002&IsNodeId=1&name=Dual%20Socket%20G34

But there by Asus and Tyan so no overclocking can be done on these boards.

Read that 2P/4P guide a few times. :) And that OC is only for specific SM boards - you need to be careful with it. And really, need memory with XPM profiling as well I think. I will overclock it to.

The problem with the google shopping - some of the "prices" show, when you following a link, don't seem to exist - and when I have done it, using google.ca as I live in Canada, it show me retailers that don't even ship here... useless...

More or less keeping an eye on some forums I know they sell Folding gear and ebay :)

And an important thing to remember is cost - for "relatively" cheap - you can build a 32-48 core Opteron. New Xeon chips and such may outperform, but will be a lot more expensive, will require more expensive ECC ram, new and expensive boards, etc. With some of the Xeon E series systems I have been seeing for clients, there are no sata ports. The chipset doesn't even support it - so you need to go SAS - which is another expense when all you need to run a 4P system is a small hard drive...

Be interesting though as they come out to see how they perform, and all the various cost comparisons we will see....

Here are some of the links I am bookmarking for reference in case someone else is interested...

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=1638127&mpage=1&print=true - AMD 4P / Quad Socket Design and Build

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?high=&m=1678549&mpage=1#1678549 - Home Rack Garage Build - Beating the Folding Heat of Summer

http://richchomiczewski.wordpress.com - Rich Chomiczewski | Computer cases designed and built by Rich Chomiczewski aka "Spotswood"

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1601608 - Ubuntu Desktop Installation Guide for F@H - [H]ard|Forum

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1662099 - CM Hyper 212+ - Alternative G34 Mounting Method -[H]ard|Forum

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?4298-Setting-up-Linux-bigadv-folding - Setting up Linux bigadv folding - Unbuntu

http://www.wiredzone.com/ seems to have some of the best prices on G34 Quad boards - but they seem to be unable to answer an email... doesn't bod well for customer service....

i was looking on ebay about used xeon cpus for a great price some for 2p and 4p builds

making a list of used affordable 6+ core cpus with 4p+ compatibility

order by release date

Xeon x6550 for $230

L7560 for $350

Xeon E7 4830 $240 (8 core)

Xeon E7-8860 $350 (10 core)

Xeon E5-4617 $320 (6 core)

Xeon E5-4610 $306 (6 core)

Xeon E5-4620 $400 (8 core)

im pretty sure the motherboards a bit expensive

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Problem I find with Xeon chips - they are still so expensive for what they are - and you are right, pricey mobos, but look at SuperMicro.... I also don't like that I have heard some steppings don't work nicely with some mobos. So, once you decide on a chip and board, do a bit of search to see if anyone has reported any issues...

OK - Chimp Challenge done. :) Back to work...

So, right now just waiting for parts to start arriving. Still need to order a board and ram for the Opteron 6136's and some memory. The other items that came up. :) Found a great deal over at [H]ard on another 4P unit - CPU's, board, ram, heatsinks, etc. All on their way. So, I have also ordered another tech station from Spotswood. Looking forward to stacking these puppies up.

Will probably do up separate build log for each so everyone can see process and lots of pix and such.

Finally, I picked up a HAF XB case and a new mobo and CPU - again, another deal. Going to run the majority of my higher end GPU's in this - probably get four, hoping for six. :) The rest of the cards and system will sell off..

Busy busy in Whaler land. Also, in my crawl space, need to make some cuts into the duct work so I can "steal" a bit of the A/C and then figure out some sort of vent solution in the back...

I will be - once stuff starts rolling in and I start putting it all together, I will do up a log and pics.

I REALLY hate having to wait!!

Bought the 32 core mobo last night. :)  I hate waiting for the post office...

H8QGL-iF_spec.jpg

I REALLY hate having to wait!!

Bought the 32 core mobo last night. :)  I hate waiting for the post office...

H8QGL-iF_spec.jpg

Really wicked setup you're getting. I hate waiting too, but when it arrive it feels so good. I'm with my new i5 3570k and also new asus z77 mobo running right now  B). Tomorrow I'll crank the speed up and see what I can get with my new toys. Have fun with your new folding monster toy  :).

Not really a toy, more like a monster truck, looking good, keep us informed man!

Codename: HighFlyer, specs:  CPU: i5 2500k cooled by a H70ish(2 rad)   Mobo: MSI MPower Z77   GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 660 OC 1150 MHZ core, 3150 memory both   RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16G @1600mhz   SSD: ADATA Premier Pro sx900 / HDD Seagate Barracuda 1TB/Samsung 1TB   Power supply: Corsair RM650 80+ Gold   Case Corsair Carbide 500R   5.4 ghz achieved on the good old 2500k, may it rest in peace. Current daily OC is 4.8 @1.41 v

I will be - once stuff starts rolling in and I start putting it all together, I will do up a log and pics.

Make sure, or else I'll have to show this.  :P

needpics.gif

*Got to love the smileys from Overclockers.com*